UFC Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 12:38 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
Originally Posted by rau
lol dont give me that crap Ry! regardless, he didnt argue it, even in the post fight
Hey, if you don't believe me, do you believe the Gracies themselves?
At about 3:35 --

How long have you been rolling, Walt? Unless it's been a short time or with a bunch of n00bs, it's impossible not to have experienced someone Brazilian tapping even during practice. It's the "culture" of the sport, and it's spreading to outside of just jiu-jitsu.
Old 08-14-2010, 12:47 PM
rau
Something Custom

Car Info: You guys mad.
Originally Posted by Choku Dori

How long have you been rolling, Walt? Unless it's been a short time or with a bunch of n00bs, it's impossible not to have experienced someone Brazilian tapping even during practice. It's the "culture" of the sport, and it's spreading to outside of just jiu-jitsu.
I've been rolling since january. Every time I've tapped, it's a full-on " let me the **** go " tap, unless we are just doing drills, then we lightly tap. Unless that's what you mean
Old 08-14-2010, 06:15 PM

Car Info: 2004 STi
Originally Posted by Choku Dori
COOL!
His surgery went great and I think they're already back in Brazil. Poor guy loses a fight and gets stuck in a foreign country to have surgery but luckily, one of my juniors speaks fluent Portuguese so I think they were pretty stoked as their "translator" was pretty useless. That was definitely a fun experience for me.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:45 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by rau
I've been rolling since january. Every time I've tapped, it's a full-on " let me the **** go " tap, unless we are just doing drills, then we lightly tap. Unless that's what you mean
I was right, you're still a rookie. Sure, we all have to start somewhere at some point, but to make a bold statement like "Sonnen didn't tap" is just silly.

Yes, a clear, unequivocal "triple tap" is the way it's supposed to be for the sake of safety and clarity in competition, but like any other sport, rule bending develops then worsens as the level of competition increases. It's almost like a corked bat in baseball or traveling 3-4 steps when taking a dunk or layup in basketball -- it's a no-no, but fools still do it a lot and get away with too sometimes. Hell, even n00bs are pulling that crap these days -- they limp wrist slap your leg and you let go, then they sidle up for a better position; you're like, "Hey, didn't you tap?" and they're all like, "No man, why would you think that?" It's not even a competition, just practice! It's the gayest crap on the planet.

Ever wonder why guys like Royce Gracie and Ricardo Arona, among others, used to hold locks in until the ref had to literally pull him off? No? Maybe their fights were before you got into MMA. Well, at any rate, now you know. I'm no pro, but I read up and I hit the mats for education and experience so that I can understand what I'm seeing. You're very welcome for this little lesson regarding the "Brazilian Tap".

Originally Posted by jawfxr
His surgery went great and I think they're already back in Brazil. Poor guy loses a fight and gets stuck in a foreign country to have surgery but luckily, one of my juniors speaks fluent Portuguese so I think they were pretty stoked as their "translator" was pretty useless. That was definitely a fun experience for me.
Yeah, Dos Anjos first got his jaw busted by a punch then tapped out when his opponent tried to get a choke in but ended up cranking his jaw instead -- totally a bum deal. Pretty cool that one of your boys could communicate with Dos Anjos, I'm sure it put him a bit more at ease too. Is it OK for me to ask what the exact nature of his injury was? The more technical, the better please! But no worries, I understand if you can't due to patient confidentiality -- it's all good!
Old 08-16-2010, 08:38 AM

Car Info: 05 WRX sedan
Originally Posted by rau
Watched Sonnen vs Silva like 5 times again. Sonnen did not tap! he was reaching for Silva's leg....
Sonnen definitely "fake" tapped, or tapped but then thought he could get out of the submission and tried to pull out of the tap. Either way it doesn't matter if he did or didn't, he was going to eventually. No way Sonnen was going to get out or make it over two minutes with a triangle choke and an arm bar on him. You are missing the point.

I think Sonnen "fake" tapped as a way to get out. Realized he didn't want to be a cheater, and thats why he didnt contest the ref's call to end the fight.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:20 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by skeeler
Sonnen definitely "fake" tapped, or tapped but then thought he could get out of the submission and tried to pull out of the tap. Either way it doesn't matter if he did or didn't, he was going to eventually. No way Sonnen was going to get out or make it over two minutes with a triangle choke and an arm bar on him. You are missing the point.

I think Sonnen "fake" tapped as a way to get out. Realized he didn't want to be a cheater, and thats why he didnt contest the ref's call to end the fight.
+1. Sonnen definitely pulled a "Brazilian Tap"!
Old 08-24-2010, 10:13 AM

Card for this weekend. Plus my picks in blue, if no color, I dont care about that fight.

Frankie Edgar vs. B.J. Penn

Randy Couture vs. James Toney
Kenny Florian vs. Gray Maynard
Demian Maia vs. Mario Miranda
Nate Diaz vs. Marcus Davis
Joe Lauzon vs. Gabe Ruediger
Andre Winner vs. Nik Lentz
Dan Miller vs. John Salter
Nick Osipczak vs. Greg Soto
Mike Pierce vs. Amilcar Alves

I really don't care for Frankie Edgar. Around 75% of his fights go to decision. If I wanted to watch people score points i'd watch Mayweather box. I hope BJ really trained this time, he always comes back better than before. Really talented but also really lazy. I got my money on BJ again.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:54 AM

Car Info: N/A
Good picks, I have pretty much the same ones except I pick the Irish Hand Grenade winning against Nate. I hope BJ trained this time too I agree he does get too relaxed sometimes. But the guy has so much natural talent it is ridiculous.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:26 PM

That Gray Maynard guy beat frankie edgar before. I've never seen him fight but florian is alright.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:29 PM

I'ma go with Frankie. He'll win by decision
Old 08-24-2010, 01:07 PM
VIP Member

Gawd, I hope BJ comes in motivated and doesn't just try to pull one of these:
Attached Thumbnails UFC Thread-000000.jpg  
Old 08-24-2010, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by TurnWRX
I'ma go with Frankie. He'll win by decision
Eh, i'm not a fan of fighters who like to win off points. Frankie has won the majority of his fights by decision. I want to see some stoppage from him if im ever gonna be a fan.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:55 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
B.J. Penn
Randy Couture
Gray Maynard
Demian Maia
Nate Diaz
Joe Lauzon
Andre Winner
Dan Miller
Greg Soto
Amilcar Alvearly

BJ needs to realize he can't bank on judges and finish Edgar early.

Joe and Gabe could be fight of the night. Looking forward to Diaz again. I'd like to get this fight
Super solid card top to bottom.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by OneManArmy
B.J. Penn
Randy Couture
Gray Maynard
Demian Maia
Nate Diaz
Joe Lauzon
Andre Winner
Dan Miller
Greg Soto
Amilcar Alvearly

BJ needs to realize he can't bank on judges and finish Edgar early.

Joe and Gabe could be fight of the night. Looking forward to Diaz again. I'd like to get this fight
Super solid card top to bottom.
BJ has never had good luck with decisions. He is looking for stoppage for sure.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:58 PM

lol James Toney got owned. He didn't even throw one punch in the standup. He didn't even put up his hands. Got taken down and got arm triangle choked out lol

he just collecting a paycheck.

Quick Reply: UFC Thread