Transmission went out.need input on options

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 06:09 PM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan
get 2009 wrx gears..stronger than previous years, 2nd and 3rd are taller than previous years... i can get to 95mph in 3rd gear now with 7k redline (2liter)
Old 02-27-2011, 06:19 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
Does anyplace sell crate wrx 5-spds with PPG's installed? If so, how much does that run?

The 6-spd is great, love mine but I think it would be pretty sweet to have the PPG gear ratios with the relatively light weight of the wrx... fast straight line performance!
Old 02-27-2011, 06:29 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
DO NOT CONTINUE TO DRIVE WITH A BORKED GEARBOX!
We build 5spd boxes with various internals.
Depending on power output AND driver type, we'll start off with 09 gear set.
Input shaft, bearings, synchros, gears, and seals are replaced.

Prices start at $3200 for complete job.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:30 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by subie OCD
Does anyplace sell crate wrx 5-spds with PPG's installed? If so, how much does that run?

The 6-spd is great, love mine but I think it would be pretty sweet to have the PPG gear ratios with the relatively light weight of the wrx... fast straight line performance!
We can offer this service.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:36 PM

Car Info: Some sort of Subaru
Sorry to hear that Javier. Good luck with whatever option you go with.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:43 PM

Car Info: 07lmtd 6spd wrx eq tuned
Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned

Good deal!...may I ask why I shouldn't drive it? I just finished draining the tranny and some pieces of metal fell out swell as a lot of debris. Put new fluid but haven't driven it yet....how reliable is the speed gearbox you sell Paul? I was planning on a six speed but if the five speed you can build me suits my needs than why not...
Old 02-27-2011, 06:57 PM
rau
Something Custom

Car Info: You guys mad.

We can offer this service.
Good **** Paul. If I had a Suby with a blown tranny, I know who to come to
Old 02-27-2011, 07:05 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by Javirex23
Good deal!...may I ask why I shouldn't drive it? I just finished draining the tranny and some pieces of metal fell out swell as a lot of debris. Put new fluid but haven't driven it yet....how reliable is the speed gearbox you sell Paul? I was planning on a six speed but if the five speed you can build me suits my needs than why not...
You can't remove all of the schrapnell by draining out the fluid.
If you continue to drive it, at a minimum you'll **** up the ring and pinion gears, adds $$$$ to the price.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:20 PM

Car Info: 07lmtd 6spd wrx eq tuned
You can't remove all of the schrapnell by draining out the fluid.
If you continue to drive it, at a minimum you'll **** up the ring and pinion gears, adds $$$$ to the price.
Oh I see....so what transmission build do you recommend me? My future plns would be 300awhp....and a few track days in the summer
Old 02-27-2011, 07:21 PM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan
I've had a dbtuned built transmission with the 2009 wrx gears for 20k miles now, no problems, love the way 2nd and 3rd are taller than stock, just redid my motor there too, fully recommend the service...

I put a down payment, he built the transmission, drove up had it swapped out in a few hours, started driving home, something else broke so the car was towed back and adam picked me up and dropped me off where I needed to go...great customer service...
Old 02-27-2011, 07:55 PM

Car Info: 2004 wrx wagon,07 gsxr 600, 09 GSXR 750
would that be a reliable tranny for about 350whp with occasional track days?
Old 02-27-2011, 08:26 PM

Car Info: 07 rs STi swapped Rotated BW S200SX-56
For the price of a built or repaired 5 speed, you can be well on your way towards a 6MT swap. It is not a hard job to do yourself if you have the space and tools to do the work. I was under the same situation as you this time last year. My 3rd gear grenaded in my 06 wrx. I chose to buy 04/05 6MT, R180 3.9 ratio, STi axles, 04 hubs/knuckles, & driveshaft. You can run your front wrx hubs/knuckles and axles, but the R180 will require STi hubs knuckles and axles and rear brembos.You have an 07 which will require you to switch your slave cylinder on the clutch which is simple as well as purchase either a 02-05 wrx clutch or STi clutch and flywheel. Another thing to consider is the DCCD, I would recommend looking up DCCDpro.com, they make a nice aftermarket controller for the center diff. I can't say enough about how much better the car drives than when I had my old 5 speed. I have taken it to the track many times and never had a problem.

What it comes down to is really your budget. My car lost 3rd gear in the first 43,000 miles. I was just sick of having to worry about it so the cost was worth it to me.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:34 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by Javirex23
Oh I see....so what transmission build do you recommend me? My future plns would be 300awhp....and a few track days in the summer
A built 5spd should suffice, depending on how hard you launch.
If you can swing it, though, the 6mt swap is the ticket.
You can use any STi 6mt up to 2007, with the 2006-2007 being preferable.

We have performed several swaps and most can be done in less than one day.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:39 PM

Car Info: WRB 03(sold) AW 03(sold) 02 Taco!
If my tranny needed a fixin I'd probably go to Paul's for some 2009 gears/6sp!
Old 02-27-2011, 11:39 PM

Car Info: Fast
Originally Posted by DerekB707
For the price of a built or repaired 5 speed, you can be well on your way towards a 6MT swap. It is not a hard job to do yourself if you have the space and tools to do the work. I was under the same situation as you this time last year. My 3rd gear grenaded in my 06 wrx. I chose to buy 04/05 6MT, R180 3.9 ratio, STi axles, 04 hubs/knuckles, & driveshaft. You can run your front wrx hubs/knuckles and axles, but the R180 will require STi hubs knuckles and axles and rear brembos.You have an 07 which will require you to switch your slave cylinder on the clutch which is simple as well as purchase either a 02-05 wrx clutch or STi clutch and flywheel. Another thing to consider is the DCCD, I would recommend looking up DCCDpro.com, they make a nice aftermarket controller for the center diff. I can't say enough about how much better the car drives than when I had my old 5 speed. I have taken it to the track many times and never had a problem.

What it comes down to is really your budget. My car lost 3rd gear in the first 43,000 miles. I was just sick of having to worry about it so the cost was worth it to me.
Great info, but 2 things. There is another option that is at least $500 cheaper than hubs, axles and Brembos. More like $1000 cheaper realistically, and more if you cannot source 5x100 04 STI hubs and go with 5x114 as you will need 5x114 wheels. The option is the spec b axles that I mentioned. If you are not launching or beating on the car hard, they are a great option. Check this thread for info (<<click me!!)

The second thing is more of an opinion, but a DCCD controller is a MUST. Ask those of us who have them Ordered several from jeff at DCCD.pro and he does great work with and is great to work with.

A lot of it comes down to your budget, ability an time to source parts and research the project, and whether you have the time/tools/location/knowledge to do a swap with some friends.

Quick Reply: Transmission went out.need input on options