Transmission went out.need input on options

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 11:51 AM

Car Info: 07lmtd 6spd wrx eq tuned
Transmission went out.need input on options

So on the way home from work on friday,i was driving spirited and as i was going into 3rd gear then i heard an awful sound *POP, CLUNK,CLUNK* i knew this was going to happen just not this early...well it was my third gear, i can put the car in any other gear and drive like normal just not 3rd gear.it goes in gear but nothing happens, and i hear something moving around the tranny when im driving...

-The Plan: flush whatever is in there out, replace fluid and drive my car until i save a bit more and figure out what to do,(RA gears,6 speed swap,Mfactory...idk)

-My question: which is the best way to go? i know either route is gong to cost a lot of money, so minus well do what will suit my needs. i want something strong and reliable, i don't know much about Transmissions so input would help.

Possibilities: Mfactory, RA gearing, 6speed sti,

i searched and saw this but don't know much about:
https://www.i-club.com/forums/showth...i+transmission

well fellow i-clubber's thanks for your help
Old 02-27-2011, 12:03 PM

Car Info: 2018 Tacoma TRD PRO
How much power where you making? I'm srry to hear this happen. I'm now looking at trans options too.

I hear that for a 6-speed plug and play swap for wrx's we need the 04 STi 6-speed. Every other year we need to spend lots more $ for it to work right. Plus hard to find 04 trans.

Mfactory I think stopped making gears for Subarus? I looked this morn and didn't find the wrx gears.

RA's are a good cheap option. But they arnt that strong. When I'm doing this swap I want the end result to be a little stronger.

Correct me if I'm wrong. I am just beginning my research as well.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:06 PM

Car Info: www.pinoymamba.tumblr.com
Really depends on what your goals are for your car.

If you got the money I'd go with a STi swap and call it a day. MFactory is nice but it's really expensive and you still have the weak 5 spd casing. RA don't even bother if you're going to be driving it "spiritedly" again weak 5 spd casing. I do have a buddy who has it on his track car and it has been holding up for years. So what do I know.

It's really depends on the driver and how the drive the car.

Good luck.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:07 PM
aka FlukeWRX

Car Info: '03 WRX WRB Sedan
Picking the next transmission is going to depend on a few things.

1) Budget
2) Driving Experience (What kind of driving are you planning on doing with your car? Track? DD? Drag? etc)
3) Power Level (What kind of power level is your car at or will be at? Are you looking to stay with the factory turbo or upgrade to a large size turbo? Is the car tuned for 91? E85? Race Fuel?)

If you are looking at the 6-speed transmission you may also consider PPG's.

http://www.andrewtechautomotive.com/

Also, the gearing in the JDM based 6-speed STI Transmission seems to be different vs the USDM based 6-speed STI Transmission so if you are looking at the 6-speed you might want to check which one you would like to go with.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by LOL VTEC
How much power where you making? I'm srry to hear this happen. I'm now looking at trans options too.

I hear that for a 6-speed plug and play swap for wrx's we need the 04 STi 6-speed. Every other year we need to spend lots more $ for it to work right. Plus hard to find 04 trans.

Mfactory I think stopped making gears for Subarus? I looked this morn and didn't find the wrx gears.

RA's are a good cheap option. But they arnt that strong. When I'm doing this swap I want the end result to be a little stronger.

Correct me if I'm wrong. I am just beginning my research as well.
I wasn't aware MFactory stopped but if they did it's probablybecause they wanted crazy *** money for their product.

I'd recommend the 6spd.

Here's a link to what you need for swapping.
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1672474

^ I forgot about the PPG option it's been a while since I've thought about modding a Subaru...
Old 02-27-2011, 12:16 PM

thanks for the replies fellas. currently im on a tune from eq tunning 266 whp and 302tq mods are
16g
larger fuel pump
headers & up pipe
turboback
light weight pulley
turbo inlet
spt sri
lrg tmic

i saw a few sit swaps on ebay going for around 3500 (+/- depending on extras i.e. diffs dccd and whatnot) so i figure it would be around another 1200 for labor of linstall
Old 02-27-2011, 12:27 PM

Numbers aren't that crazy for a 5spd to handle. Just have to be careful with all that tq when you're banging through the gears.

Good luck with whatever option you choose.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:38 PM

Car Info: '12 TSX 6MT/'01 E39 wagon/'67 VW on E85/'93 M900
6-speed swaps are tempting (many Forester peeps are going that route), but the added weight is something to consider. It'd be pretty cool to have a built 5-speed with better front and rear diffs.

If I were to do a 6-speed, I'd want the '07. But then I'd need a whole new suspension, wheels, brakes, etc..

Stan
Old 02-27-2011, 01:10 PM

^yes. That's the problem. I would hate to have to get new wheels and brakes and what not...I just got some nice DBA 4000 rotors a week ago...
Old 02-27-2011, 01:35 PM

Car Info: 2008 Forester XT 5spd
I went with some JDM gears from Rallispec with the REM treatment. I went with the longer 4th and 5th. basically it's the same ratio as the Legacy GT gears. I wanted to keep my gas mileage. Difference is I can hold 1-3rd longer. I'm happy with this set up. Also added a RPS clutch since the labor was free when doing a rebuild.

I would have loved to do a 6spd. but this was more in my budget, and all the parts were new minus the case of course. Also I don't think my power levels will ever reach 300whp, so I'm pretty sure I'll be good with my choice.

I think FlatIrons Subaru sells this same kit too.

All my work was done through LICmotorsports, who can order the same gears as well.

http://www.rallispec.com/prod_trans.htm
Old 02-27-2011, 02:05 PM

Car Info: 2005 forester
I have a 2007 lgt 6-speed with quaife front and rear lsd's and would never look back. that power level is pretty low to break the transmission mine lasted to 315whp on gst's dyno.
do the 6-speed you wont regret it.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:12 PM

Car Info: 2006 CGM Impreza WRX/ 1998 RBP Impreza 2.5RS
If you have the money to do the 6 speed swap then do it. If not then I guess just do the Stronger gears and be easy on it.

I know my trans blew up and I just had it rebuilt or bought a refurbished one actually.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:49 PM

Car Info: Fast
Originally Posted by 03_Impreza_Al
Numbers aren't that crazy for a 5spd to handle. Just have to be careful with all that tq when you're banging through the gears.
Really?! Obviously his current transmission did not agree

M Factory is not making any more gears because they all blew up. Look it up.

The fact is the 5 speed is, and never will be, as strong as a 6 speed.

You have 3 options if you want a reliable transmission. Only 1 IMO, but you may have different goals.

1: 6 speed swap.

Prices have come down, and you can do this down and dirty in the 3k range if you skip the FULL swap and just do tranny, clutch, and either a 3.90 R160, 06-07 6 speed with 3.54 r160, or full 6 speed/ r180 with spec b rear axles. Conversion axles are an option too, but who the hell would spend 1k+ for a set of rear axles?!?

2: PPGs

3: Albins gears for the 5 speed
Old 02-27-2011, 02:50 PM

Car Info: 2004 wrx wagon,07 gsxr 600, 09 GSXR 750
it seems like a six speed is the only way to go, ive been talking to the guys at millennium auto in Michigan about a complete swap but they usually dont get very many 04's
Old 02-27-2011, 05:49 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
+1 for 6 speed!

Quick Reply: Transmission went out.need input on options