Old 04-27-2012, 11:04 PM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
50 posts per page
Old 04-27-2012, 11:10 PM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan
Originally Posted by JourdanWithaU
Tire fitment is a weird science...

I thought I would be all good with 235 tires on my 8" wheels. I did some research and found that 8" is the minimum width for the particular tires I got. But low and behold, after everything is all mounted up, the tires look stretched. Nothing insane mind you, but if I get too close to a curb, the wheel is going to make contact before the tire.

I wish I had some decent tire pics. But even with the widest tire that I could put on my wheels, the set-up still looks stretched.

What gives?
That's weird...I've got falken 912 in 225/45/17 on a 8" and a 225/40/18 on a 8" and neither are stretched...but supposedly 912s run wide
Old 04-27-2012, 11:12 PM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan
You can run 245s and some 255s without excessive bubbling sidewalls on a 8"
Old 04-27-2012, 11:25 PM
Warm Fuzzy Admin

Car Info: 97 LOB, 05 FXT, 03 Tundra
Make the fenders look nice (like Joe's wag) and run a wide wheel with a slightly stretched tire for profiling to the fender? Great. Looks great, is safe, done proper. Slam it on the ground, as long as you can drive it without being a road hazard? Awesome. I'm all for bags, too - utility and looks. They work better than coils for most street cars anyways. I'm not running bags, and I'm not stretching stuff or doing crazy fitment, but I'll defend the guys who are doing it right. It's call "fitment", not "it almost fits". Kiss the fender, don't wallop the damn thing.

On the other hand, run stretch so I can see the inner bead seat on hacked up fenders? I'm not "hating" because it's on a Subaru instead of a VW or because it's trendy, I'm not impressed because it's hack work, pure and simple. I hate amateur hour when it comes to cars. The car doesn't have to look perfect (mine don't, they're both used and abused daily), and there's a place for rat styles when it's real patina, but a car newer than your drivers license shouldn't be a ****heap. You don't have to fix every scratch, but ****, if you destroy the fenders pulling them to all hell, dolly them back smooth at the least so it doesn't look like your quarterpanels have a veneral disease. People see ricy **** like that and they assume it's the mentality of everyone who modifies cars. THAT's what bugs me - getting lumped in with rolling road hazards clunking around on sagged springs, axles rubbing on frame because you didn't notch it properly, bald-*** $20 tires to fit replica wheels meant for another car, etc.

Cornfed, you're a wheelwhore after my own heart. You're having fun with your car, it's clean, you've got stuff sitting under fenders, I wouldn't run that much stretch, but that's why I've got my own car - just don't expect non-scene people to get it. I'm all for wide wheels - just bolt some fenders on over 'em and run some more tire, too!
Old 04-27-2012, 11:33 PM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
Not all 235s are the same width.
Toyo Proxes T1R?

I know not all tires that are marked the same size are actually the same size. But a 235 T1R is listed as having a 9.5" overall width. And the approved wheel widths are 8.0" - 8.5" - 9.5".

I'm not super pissed, but it irks me. I do want to get these tires on to a set of wider wheels though. That will be interesting.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:42 PM

Car Info: E85 Tuned
Wheel ***** FTW!!!
Old 04-27-2012, 11:45 PM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
Originally Posted by sybir
Make the fenders look nice (like Joe's wag) and run a wide wheel with a slightly stretched tire for profiling to the fender? Great. Looks great, is safe, done proper. Slam it on the ground, as long as you can drive it without being a road hazard? Awesome. I'm all for bags, too - utility and looks. They work better than coils for most street cars anyways. I'm not running bags, and I'm not stretching stuff or doing crazy fitment, but I'll defend the guys who are doing it right. It's call "fitment", not "it almost fits". Kiss the fender, don't wallop the damn thing.

On the other hand, run stretch so I can see the inner bead seat on hacked up fenders? I'm not "hating" because it's on a Subaru instead of a VW or because it's trendy, I'm not impressed because it's hack work, pure and simple. I hate amateur hour when it comes to cars. The car doesn't have to look perfect (mine don't, they're both used and abused daily), and there's a place for rat styles when it's real patina, but a car newer than your drivers license shouldn't be a ****heap. You don't have to fix every scratch, but ****, if you destroy the fenders pulling them to all hell, dolly them back smooth at the least so it doesn't look like your quarterpanels have a veneral disease. People see ricy **** like that and they assume it's the mentality of everyone who modifies cars. THAT's what bugs me - getting lumped in with rolling road hazards clunking around on sagged springs, axles rubbing on frame because you didn't notch it properly, bald-*** $20 tires to fit replica wheels meant for another car, etc.

Cornfed, you're a wheelwhore after my own heart. You're having fun with your car, it's clean, you've got stuff sitting under fenders, I wouldn't run that much stretch, but that's why I've got my own car - just don't expect non-scene people to get it. I'm all for wide wheels - just bolt some fenders on over 'em and run some more tire, too!
QFT

Profiling the fender or fitting the tire in the fender while the rim is flush is the only reason to stretch IMO. I feel like recently there have been people who have taken this concept too far and have gone beyond the extreme.

I wish I could make faster progress with my car. I feel like my opinion is worthless because I don't have the direct experience or credentials. I'm getting close though.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:45 PM

Car Info: $2000 hawkeye
All the way
Old 04-28-2012, 12:32 AM

Car Info: '11 STI
Originally Posted by sybir

+1. haha my dream is to become a wheel ***** like cornfed and sybir
Old 04-28-2012, 02:16 AM

Car Info: '11 White Shelby Cobra GT 500
So if you all that run stretched tires get into an accident would you change your wheels out before your insurance adjuster showed up? Lol
Old 04-28-2012, 03:38 AM

Car Info: @eatwithnaveed
Originally Posted by Gibz
So if you all that run stretched tires get into an accident would you change your wheels out before your insurance adjuster showed up? Lol
Nope lol.

Damn, I went to work, went to the bar, then to a friends house, then to jacknthebox, then drive back to my friends, then back home and now I'm in bed and this threads still going on. Lol. Pretty interesting stuff haha.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:42 AM
Warm Fuzzy Admin

Originally Posted by JourdanWithaU
Toyo Proxes T1R?

I know not all tires that are marked the same size are actually the same size. But a 235 T1R is listed as having a 9.5" overall width. And the approved wheel widths are 8.0" - 8.5" - 9.5".

I'm not super pissed, but it irks me. I do want to get these tires on to a set of wider wheels though. That will be interesting.
The last set of T1R's in that size (and they're no reason they'd change) ran like a narrowish 225. Toyos as a rule run narrow, for everything except their r-comps - I have a set of 245/40 Proxes 4's that are the same way currently - they fit like a normal 235.

T1R's historically were one of the "better" stretch tires according to the dub guys, they have flexy sidewalls. Goodyear F1GSD3's also run narrow- I had a set of those as well as some GSD's where a 215/45 on a 7.5 looked like a massive stretch, about 9 years ago, lol.

Some Kumhos run really narrow (like a 225 on an 8 doesn't even have enough rim protection to stack wheels in the garage), and Yoko ES100's and the new yoko that replaced them are the same way. The Bridgestone 070's that came on STi's? They're more like a chunky 235 even though they're called a 225.

Always check someone with them installed if you can't measure 'em first.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:47 AM
Warm Fuzzy Admin

Also remember than an 8" wide wheel isn't 8" wide - it's 8" from inner bead to inner bead (or should be). Add the thickness of the bead (which is variable depending on wheel) and you're usually tacking on at least .5" on each side, so your 8" wide wheel is usually a hair over 9" outside to outside - which makes an optimistic manufacturer 9.5" carcass measurement (which is probably measured on at least an 8.5 or 9" wheel) more reasonable.

It's all statistics and marketing
Old 04-28-2012, 08:57 AM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
Originally Posted by StealthMODE
Damn, I went to work, went to the bar, then to a friends house, then to jacknthebox, then drive back to my friends, then back home and now I'm in bed and this threads still going on. Lol. Pretty interesting stuff haha.
Oh Im sorry, did you want this thread to stop and wait for you to return before everyone started posting again?

Old 04-28-2012, 09:49 AM

Car Info: Un Carrito Que Hace Vrooom Phsss!
There's is a BIG diff between cornfeds car and mr stealthMODE... CornFeds car lOoks clean and so do the rear fenders.. Stealthmodes cheap.. Like he used a hammer lol..

Quick Reply: Tire Stretch Opinions?