Tahoe driving conditions

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 05:11 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
Aren't we not supposed to chain subaru's anyways?
Old 03-16-2012, 05:15 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02 WRB WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by Heedz
Aren't we not supposed to chain subaru's anyways?
You can use cables.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:24 PM

Car Info: wrx wagon/2.5rs
I'm from carson city/Reno..so make the occasional trip in the snow. But have never had an issue with chains, nor have been asked. But then again never knew it was a fine ahah. Never even really stopped at the checkpoints. Usually just wave me through...
Old 03-16-2012, 06:02 PM

Car Info: 03 wrx
I didn't know there was a fine for not having chains. I thought you were fine with 4wd/awd and snow tires. I have not been stopped at the check point or asked for chains before.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:07 PM

Car Info: 2016 WRX, 2014 lifter forester XT, 2005 JDM207 WGN
its the law to carry them but i would not go up if i was new to driving in snow or not on snow tires. I'm about to leave for thaoe
Old 03-16-2012, 07:07 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Weird, never heard of that fine and the zillions of people I have talked to about this topic while living in the Reno area have never mentioned it. I would get teased daily for rolling around on snow tires for the last few months. Guess I will look around for some actual info. I am heading to the Bay over 80 on Sunday in a FWD car on summer tires. If I get turned around, I have a 4WD Justy on snows w/ chains but would just rather drive my nicer car. Still going to check up on that law... Last time over the hill (2/29, left at 7pm toward SF) it was pretty crazy, I was with friends in an '05 LGT wagon w/ all-seasons and we were dodging graders and sometimes on hardpack but the car kicked *** and carried us through. Probably the worst thing was the truckers who seem to carry a bit more speed than is really logical, but what do I know!

In general the roads are kept pretty good, but if this is your first time up I would be extremely cautious! It's a great idea to ride with someone who has bad weather driving experience, and watch how they deal with it. No sudden moves! Haha..
Old 03-16-2012, 07:19 PM

Car Info: 2004 STI
I have asked at chain control about carrying chains in a AWD/4WD vehicle. The guy strait up told me that if the weather gets that bad, DOT will close the roads. Said they don't want to have DOT guys and tow trucks out saving people and putting themselves at risk.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:22 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by wombatsauce
Weird, never heard of that fine and the zillions of people I have talked to about this topic while living in the Reno area have never mentioned it. I would get teased daily for rolling around on snow tires for the last few months. Guess I will look around for some actual info. I am heading to the Bay over 80 on Sunday in a FWD car on summer tires. If I get turned around, I have a 4WD Justy on snows w/ chains but would just rather drive my nicer car. Still going to check up on that law... Last time over the hill (2/29, left at 7pm toward SF) it was pretty crazy, I was with friends in an '05 LGT wagon w/ all-seasons and we were dodging graders and sometimes on hardpack but the car kicked *** and carried us through. Probably the worst thing was the truckers who seem to carry a bit more speed than is really logical, but what do I know!

In general the roads are kept pretty good, but if this is your first time up I would be extremely cautious! It's a great idea to ride with someone who has bad weather driving experience, and watch how they deal with it. No sudden moves! Haha..
CHP-Frequently Asked Questions of the Highway Patrol

I have a 4-wheel drive vehicle. Do I have to carry / use chains? What do the "R" ratings which are associated with chain requirements mean?
"R" ratings on snowy roads indicate chain requirements for various conditions. Some vehicles may not be required to use chains under all conditions, but all vehicles must carry chains. Most vehicles come equipped with snow tires. Look for M+S (mud and snow), All Season, or All Terrain, on the side of the tire.

R-1 chains required except for vehicles with snow tires (chains required for any vehicle pulling a trailer)

R-2 chains required except for 4-wheel drive with snow tires

R-3 chains required for all vehicles
Old 03-16-2012, 07:32 PM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
Originally Posted by jdblock
I have asked at chain control about carrying chains in a AWD/4WD vehicle. The guy strait up told me that if the weather gets that bad, DOT will close the roads. Said they don't want to have DOT guys and tow trucks out saving people and putting themselves at risk.
I've heard them say that as well.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:37 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Awesome - thank you so much!

EDIT: I also found this: http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/wntrdriv.htm

It mentions "a fine" can be applied at chain control - this is the first I have seen/heard of this before this thread.

I have been looking for a way to get info as that "get across 80" site doesn't seem to be updated. On the page above, there is a phone number for CHIN (California Highway Info Network). I am listening to the message now, and they are saying at this moment, chains are required through Donner lake, except for 4WD vehicles with snow tires, so that's R2.

The number for CHIN: 800.427.7623

EDIT THE EDIT: My wife just told me about this kick-*** URL: http://www.dot.ca.gov/cgi-bin/roadscell.cgi

Enter HWY number, receive conditions. Woot!

Last edited by wombatsauce; 03-16-2012 at 08:08 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:44 PM

why would you put on chains? Isn't your car AWD?
I guess if you have to ask, you probably should wait until the weather clears up.
note: 4 wheel drive is different than AWD.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:20 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by wombatsauce
Awesome - thank you so much!

EDIT: I also found this: Caltrans Winter Driving Tips

It mentions "a fine" can be applied at chain control - this is the first I have seen/heard of this before this thread.

I have been looking for a way to get info as that "get across 80" site doesn't seem to be updated. On the page above, there is a phone number for CHIN (California Highway Info Network). I am listening to the message now, and they are saying at this moment, chains are required through Donner lake, except for 4WD vehicles with snow tires, so that's R2.

The number for CHIN: 800.427.7623

EDIT THE EDIT: My wife just told me about this kick-*** URL: Road Conditions

Enter HWY number, receive conditions. Woot!
OneManArmy and myself were alerted to this fine last year in Arnold saying it was a new law as of January 1st, 2011. So we always carry a pair. So if they were to check they are there, but really they are not needed on our cars. Doesn't mean **** can't happen and they might help you get out of a bad situation if you get yourself into one.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:40 PM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
so would you put chains on all 4 wheels then?
Old 03-16-2012, 10:52 PM
banned

Car Info: 500+ whp Club
Last time I took the wrx to tahoe I used snow cables. I put them on after it was getting deep.
If you drive a WRX, GET CABLES! Test fit them before you go. Just toss them on the front wheels and you should be great. WRX has open front diff and center diff Course if you ken block and crash.. results might vary.

STi, I'd still carry them. You have more options as you can lock the center diff. But the front diff still sucks.

Get a good set of cables, make sure you get and or have the rubber band things. These keep the chains tight!
Put them on when you think you need them. Keep your speed down. I'd hate to see all the thread pop up monday for places to repair fenders.

I used mine soon as I felt the car not doing what I wanted it to do. Course I was also in a foot of snow. The next morning I was really happy I did as it snowed really big over night. I was the only guy ready to go. remote start heater, chains, and a shovel to dig myself out.

Keep in mind splitters, lips or anything is not going to be coming home with you if you leave it on and it snows. Those like to turn into snow plows.

Bring extra blankets, food, water, chains, rubber bands for chains, let someone know where you are heading. 50 or 80 and a check in time set up.

Please be careful!
Old 03-16-2012, 10:56 PM

Car Info: 2009 Subaru WRX Hatchback
I always carry a set of cables in the back. Since I bought the cables, I've switched to a dedicated snow tire setup and the cables don't fit them. I still carry it just so I don't have any issues *if* I ever get asked but never been asked about them.

you should be fine sunday though, weather looks better. I'm heading out to squaw in the morning ... should be an interesting drive up, hopefully I don't get stuck due to freeway closures.

Quick Reply: Tahoe driving conditions