Tactical/Emergency Vest Setups

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 10:48 AM
banned

Car Info: 500+ whp Club
Civilian thinking vs. Military thinking... lol.

Im am a defense type. So I see your point. More times you put yourself out. Worsen the chances of survival. Lay low, know your area know your plan, avoid a firefight. Or anything that will bring attention
Old 01-10-2012, 11:24 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Originally Posted by irrational x
I guess that I look at the problem in a fundamentally different way than a lot of folks do. My primary task is quiet and fast evac to someplace safe and remote and to get there in one piece. I will go around (or retreat from) threats because I am 1 dude with 2 guns versus and enemy with unknown size and strength.

Going attacking hostile person or group is more dangerous than avoiding contact altogether.
I think you're using more logic than emotion, which is a recipe for success.

Quiet, fast, efficient evac, and ample protection from intruders, etc. The quieter, the better.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:54 AM

Car Info: Forester XTi
I guess that I look at the problem in a fundamentally different way than a lot of folks do. My primary task is quiet and fast evac to someplace safe and remote and to get there in one piece. I will go around (or retreat from) threats because I am 1 dude with 2 guns versus and enemy with unknown size and strength.

Going attacking hostile person or group is more dangerous than avoiding contact altogether.
Your 100% right, but again its all depending on whats going down and how fast. If I am in a place where I am going to have to engage hostile forces/people. Then I am goign to do my best to do it in such a way I can have every tactical advantage I can.

But plans 1-5 are all "avoid all contact"
Old 01-10-2012, 12:24 PM

Car Info: 97' Dodge Cummins and an RSTI thingie
"Speak softly and carry a big stick." - Theodore Roosevelt
Old 01-10-2012, 12:24 PM
plays well with others

Car Info: your mother crazy
Originally Posted by Overbear
If I am in a place where I am going to have to engage hostile forces/people. Then I am goign to do my best to do it in such a way I can have every tactical advantage I can.
100's of rounds of ammunition aren't going to turn a bad situation good. Not getting shot is a "significant tactical advantage" if your objective is to stay alive. Any tactical advantage that leads to a firefight still risks your life. I think of it like Krav Maga, wound in order to escape/evade.

Worked for the Russians. Twice.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:09 PM

Car Info: Hilux Double Cab with a Dishka on top
Keeping a low pro would be a smart idea, that's why I think a chest rig would actually be better than a full on plate carrier. You're much less visible and much more mobile.

I've weighed different loadouts before. The average plate carrier with soft armor inserts, two ESAPI plates, two side SAPI plates, 8 mags, 2 liters of water, and IFAK weighs about 52lbs.

Now a chest rig with 8 mags, IFAK and pistol weighs 13lbs. The choice is yours, but I would trade ballistic protection for mobility any day of the week.

One of my favorite rigs is the HSGI Warlord chest rig:

Name:  STP60143.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  58.5 KB
Old 01-10-2012, 02:42 PM

Car Info: Forester XTi
100's of rounds of ammunition aren't going to turn a bad situation good. Not getting shot is a "significant tactical advantage" if your objective is to stay alive. Any tactical advantage that leads to a firefight still risks your life. I think of it like Krav Maga, wound in order to escape/evade.

Worked for the Russians. Twice.
1)who only carries 100 rounds? Hell I got more than that in just the chest pouches, not counting the leg drops and side pouches of the backpack

2)Normal folk, who come under fire, are going to run. This includes rioters and such. How do I know? Look to the LA riots, the moment the heavy guns came out and the shop owners started to drop targets from the rooftop of the swap meet, hundreds of looters RAN.

If you have to get in the fight, and have no choice, pick out the ones that look to be in lead, and drop them first. Make sure the guys that are the folowers are left without a leader and they will break and run...its human nature.

Now if your up aganst trained people, its a whole new story. Your best hope is to pull back fast, and try if you can to snipe a few to slow them down and make them not want to advance as fast, giving you a chance to RUN...or go to ground.

However again, the key point is to not be a target in the first place. If you are *** deep in it already, you missed a chance to not be there.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:57 PM
plays well with others

1)who only carries 100 rounds? Hell I got more than that in just the chest pouches, not counting the leg drops and side pouches of the backpack
So you are hoping they are deaf and have allergies so that they cant hear/smell 400lb worth of remf huffing and puffing toward them?

Also: I said 100's of rounds, not 100 rounds. I have more than 100 rounds packed but some people are saying they are packing "all the ammo they have" and that's just ****ing stupid.

2)Normal folk, who come under fire, are going to run. This includes rioters and such. How do I know? Look to the LA riots, the moment the heavy guns came out and the shop owners started to drop targets from the rooftop of the swap meet, hundreds of looters RAN.
true, but for them 1-2 rounds versus 60 rounds isn't going to make a difference, they are going to **** their pants after the first shot whizzes past their head.

If you have to get in the fight, and have no choice, pick out the ones that look to be in lead, and drop them first. Make sure the guys that are the followers are left without a leader and they will break and run...its human nature.
This is what I'm saying, accurate fire > rate of fire. Once they know that I am capable of inflicting serious casualties and that I am retreating, why would they pursue me?
Old 01-10-2012, 03:07 PM
banned

Originally Posted by brucelee
I think you're using more logic than emotion, which is a recipe for success.

Quiet, fast, efficient evac, and ample protection from intruders, etc. The quieter, the better.
^^
Name:  weird-guy-with-guns.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  28.7 KB
Old 01-10-2012, 03:39 PM
plays well with others

Originally Posted by old.guy
^^
guitars to seduce lady evacuees...
Old 01-10-2012, 04:04 PM

Car Info: Reason
I'd love to see anyone on this board - hoof it up any hill carrying old.guy's suggest loadout. Just a single AR and ONE Barrett .50 is 40+ lbs, much less adding another .50 rifle, your Springfield (M1A? 1911?), and all the ammo you have for all of those weapons.

If/when SHTF, public roads are not going to be usable, so don't bother telling me you'll have it in your truck/car/motorcycle sidecar/whatever.

I myself plan to shelter in place if possible, and travel light if not. I'm prepared for either. Lots of opinions in this thread, and mine's just one of them. Take it or leave it, I don't care.

Last edited by buzzword; 01-10-2012 at 04:16 PM. Reason: quote fail!
Old 01-10-2012, 04:39 PM
banned

[QUOTE=buzzword;3188999][QUOTE=old.guy] Outside of that .... I am not worried about how I look I do not have time to have a fashion show. I grab the AR, the Springfield, Both .50's and all the ammo I have. And call it a day after heading to the hills.

I'd love to see you - or anyone else on this board - hoof it up any hill carrying this amount of crap on their person. Just a single AR and ONE Barrett .50 is 40+ lbs, much less another .50, your Springfield (M1A? 1911?), and all the ammo you have. If/when SHTF, public roads are not going to be usable, so don't bother telling me you'll have it in your truck/car/motorcycle sidecar/whatever.

I myself plan to shelter in place if possible, and travel light if not. I'm prepared for either. Lots of opinions in this thread, and mine's just one of them. Take it or leave it, I don't care.
Everytime we go out shooting... We lug it all up into the hills in Arizona in 115* heat. And the bmg's are lighter then 40+ lbs. Would I take both? Nope.. unless I could move in my truck...
But lets just say my XD9 one mag in, 3 back up mags one on holster, two on duty belt.
My AR, 60 round locked and loaded, 4 other 60 round combos'
1 BMG, outfitted, 1 10 round mag locked n loaded, 4x 10 round mags ready
Handful of rifle ammo in the camelback with light gear.
Let the girl carry the rest in her backpack. Give her a side arm and prey she doesn't shoot me.

The goal would be to get 1/2 mile up the street to the foothills then wait it out there if I could not do it at home first. I'd then plan most of everything on a long range defense. Watch and deal with anyone on a long range scale. Then move to rifle for 20-300 yards. Side arm if all else fails. Which is why I would short my side arm ammo over long range. AR ammo could also be used for hunting and feeding yourself.

Stay low, quiet, under the radar, be were no one else wants to be. Then observer over the valley from my hill or get out at night. When it cools off head home.

If it ever came to it. And that is a big if. The ship would really have to hit hard for that to happen. And I think that in my area. I'd like to think as a close neighborhood we would be safer as a group.

I do not think any of this would ever happen. I think we would be in the middle of "red dawn" for any of this to have to be put into effect. So we can all sit here and desktop warrior each other all day long I guess.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:58 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon

You have the grid to my new compound?
Just get there before we drop the two bridges into the American river.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:46 PM
plays well with others

Originally Posted by FW Motorsports
You have the grid to my new compound?
Just get there before we drop the two bridges into the American river.
I can land nav it (probably) having been there and with the topo maps and a compass in the go-packs.

Really, I probably wont make it that far since the most likely scenario here is flooding. I know where the high ground is around here and I keep a raft and a hatchet in the attic for when the waters rise.

I hope those unprepared *****es can swim and shoot at the same time
Old 01-10-2012, 07:48 PM
plays well with others

Oh, and after i made friends with Paul@FW i added a white flag to the supplies as well.

Quick Reply: Tactical/Emergency Vest Setups