Stupid Sales guy at Livermore Subaru

Old 11-16-2006, 10:00 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by tigsterz
believe it, stevens creek subaru. I made an appointment with the internet sales manager Masood Mir, went there and he grabed the keys on I was on the road, no ID/DL/Credit check. =) and it wasnt a hyundai it was an STi.
Yes, you had mentioned it was an STi. I used the Hyundai as a comparison since it's not worth as much as an STi yet you still need to show a DL to the dealer.

Don't let it bother you too much if I don't believe you. You know more about your situation. I have test driven a crapload of cars as well as been along with people test driving them. Maybe it's my menacing 'average clean-cut whiteboy' looks that does it, but I always need to show an ID. Since this is a common thread across many makes and many dealerships (some with dealers I knew) I simply do not believe you. Don't let it getcha down.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:03 AM
VIP Member

BTW when I was in Missouri for the holidays a few years back a buddy and I were bored so we decided to test drive cars. We drove every make of truck and a lot of cars. Almost every lot had all the cars sitting there with the keys in the doors.. We couldn't find anyone to help us, so we grabbed the key to a Dodge 3500 CTD, fired it up and drove it up to the office. A guy stepped out asking if we wanted to drive it. My friend said he was gonna show it to his dad and the guy hollered back "well y'all be careful out there" and we drove off. Another dealer let us take one over night "just to see." That happens out there, but is pretty uncommon here.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:51 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 05' WRX STi
ah i guess some dealers care and some don't.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:14 AM

Car Info: 2006 evo IX
Originally Posted by sleepy22
It's not a waste of time if you're serious.

It won't hurt your credit to do it once.

It's not that big of a deal. Free credit report. See how you're doing without having to pay for it or get spammed from all of those free websites.
1) He was pre-approved for his own loan
2) If you test drive multiple cars, and each require a credit check to test drive, its more than just one. Multiple credit checks in a short period of time is not good for your credit
Old 11-16-2006, 11:23 AM

Car Info: 12 Impreza Wagon, RIP 91 Honda Civic Wagon :(
I just bought my 06 WRX Wagon from Livermore. I went the internet route, getting a rate quote and dealing with Mike. I did three test drives on two different vehicles and did not have to show my DL or insurance.

However, I'd had communication with the sales rep over the previous month and I was very obviously a serious buyer.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:58 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by tigsterz
ah i guess some dealers care and some don't.
Maybe, but Masood Mir has taken my ID for a test drive too.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:13 PM

Car Info: 2002 wrx
Originally Posted by ucbsti
1) He was pre-approved for his own loan
2) If you test drive multiple cars, and each require a credit check to test drive, its more than just one. Multiple credit checks in a short period of time is not good for your credit
1) It's still no big deal. If you're the one who cares about your image on credit so much and 3 minutes it takes to run a CC check, but don't care about your appearance when you walk into the dealership with shorts and flip flops and don't take 5 minutes to throw on some pants, this is a double standard. Granted, you choose your battles. And whatever floats your boat.

2) If it's at the same dealership, they wouldn't run a credit check for each car you drove. And you could have them print it out, if u asked, so you could take it to the next dealer, with the date it was taken. Unless you did something ridiculous within the next few days to tank your credit rating, they'd probably honor it.

When you shop around for a home loan, you might have 3-5 companies gathering credit checks. It won't affect your credit one bit.

Here's the thing about credit inquiries. A few don't hurt.. In fact, you can have a a bunch within a 14 day period, and it'll consolidate into ONE single inquiry. This is to protect people shopping for Auto or Mortgage loans.

However, if you have multiple credit inquiries during different times longer than 14 days in duration, for different typse of loans, such as CCs, then you look desperate. Desperate = not good, and thus lowers your credit.

And, you can even dispute credit inquiries.

It's still not a big deal. Maybe to you. But not to me. Hell, I'd even run around the dealership showing everybody my awesome credit score.

Or not.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:52 PM

Car Info: 2006 evo IX
You do that buddy, you do that