STi 6spd swap into '02 WRX

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 08:58 AM

Car Info: 04 STi
What about selling the wrx and getting a used STi? I think it's much easier than building up a wrx.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:19 AM

Car Info: 91 legacy, 87 mr2, 17 forester xt
Originally Posted by wombatsauce
Last few quotes for gearboxes were all over $4k. So far I have found a few that advertise gearboxes under $2k and in every case, when actually contacted, there is not actually a gearbox. The last one of such just got back to me saying that they did not have one in stock but could get me one for $4k plus shipping and core charge. LOL? I made it clear that I have an '02 WRX, do not own a 6spd and am looking to purchase one. I replied and asked some obvious questions, did not get a reply. Couple folks have working/installed 6spds which is a better bet, but then in that case I would be paying 2x the labor and providing a 5spd that I do not have. It would be far cheaper to purchase a brand new gearbox from Subaru than to work with someone who wants to part their car, based on what I have found so-far.

Seen some on eBay that show pics with Brembos, mention it in the headline, and then say in the ad they are not included. There is a JDM setup on CL right now in the East Bay, they want $4,500. I'm just not going to even entertain that amount of money for an un-known complex mechanical device.

I have to say, congrats to anyone that found a 6spd for such a low price. I do not think I can re-create that sort of experience, based on a lot of searching and conversations with folks. From what I have found, finding an '06-'07 6spd gearbox that is in working condition for less than $2k is incredibly un-usual to say the least. Some of these are bare gearboxes, and the supporting parts to have a cost as well.

I have also found many used 5spds for asking prices higher than it would cost me to have mine rebuilt (based on quotes). It seems like forging ahead with the 6spd swap in these real-world conditions would be incredibly stupid.

Tired of the car sitting, and I know how I am. The sun is setting for me with this car as it continues to be expensive and not useful. Needs to get running.

Moving forward with the 5spd rebuild.

Thank you all for the information.
try one of those import/exporters from quebec. i didn't have good luck with my motor but the 6 speed was in good condition. cost is around $3000 or so.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:09 PM

Car Info: Fast
Ya I have heard a lot of good reviews on the JDM importers. I spoke with a few that V7 6 speeds could be had for $2800+ for a V7 and up. Non DCCD, and most include front axles, DS, shifter, and possibly flywheel and clutch/pressure plate. I think the rear diffs are extra, but in your position, I would look for a 3.90 r160 from a 99-01 Impreza L or pretty much any 99-01 2.2 engine Impreza or Legacy.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:04 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by subie OCD
What about selling the wrx and getting a used STi? I think it's much easier than building up a wrx.
Well, I am not really "building up a WRX" - I own a WRX and the transmission has failed. Trying to get that taken care of, and work in an upgrade at the same time if possible. If I were able to sell this car, that would be AWESOME and I would not buy another.

Originally Posted by chochocho
try one of those import/exporters from quebec. i didn't have good luck with my motor but the 6 speed was in good condition. cost is around $3000 or so.
I may end up going this route, but it's important to pick your battles. The last time I did this, it was months of hassle, getting screamed at on the phone by *******s and told to go eff myself because I would never see my money back, etc. Thanks to Master Card and Union Bank, it was not an issue - but it was annoying and I would love to not do that again as soon as possible.

Originally Posted by aboothman
Ya I have heard a lot of good reviews on the JDM importers. I spoke with a few that V7 6 speeds could be had for $2800+ for a V7 and up. Non DCCD, and most include front axles, DS, shifter, and possibly flywheel and clutch/pressure plate. I think the rear diffs are extra, but in your position, I would look for a 3.90 r160 from a 99-01 Impreza L or pretty much any 99-01 2.2 engine Impreza or Legacy.
Seems like there are some good ones out there. The one I dealt with was in Canada, and was called something like JDM Imports or something like that, with a seemingly legit storefront. Through a slip up on their part while discussing the compression test results that they were providing, it became clear that the motor I had paid for was not only not in the country, but most likely would not be arriving at all. The only info I have on it is in a folder called "JDM Import *******s" so I will need to dig up and see if I can find the actual name of the company.

Now that my WRX is not the daily driver, I am more open to JDM boxes and the 3.90:1 FD. So, that opens some possibilities. I could deal with that price range, and there are even a couple USDM '06 available around $3k-$4k. If it seemed at all possible that I might actually end up with the right transmission, I would probably take that route. When they have 3x for sale and not sure which one is the '06, well... Yeah. I have noticed a lot of the JDM sellers have a pallet that shows exactly what you are getting, and some include the clutch, axles and diff. It seems like if I could get a complete JDM setup, with it being 5x100, that would be the most cost-effective route if the gearbox is okay. I also really like the idea of the non-DCCD box. I had not heard of that outside of the Leggy Sepc.b.

At this point, I will revisit this down the road if it seems like it makes sense, and have the bonus of a working 5spd that I can sell to help cover costs.

Last edited by wombatsauce; 07-09-2013 at 01:07 PM.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:26 PM
VIP Member

Well.. Mechanic just called after having the gearbox guy open up the 5spd, and it's completely trashed. I guess the tranny guy said even the center diff was blown. So, my car is going to sit for a while as I resume looking for a 6spd.

Seems like after all the info I have read about here, I would like to find either a JDM V7 box, or a USDM '06-'07 box. I think I prefer the V7 since it would be cheaper and does not have DCCD which I do not think I need (shoot, since my car has basically been FWD for a while, just having AWD will be a bonus).

I have been back and forth and all over the place on this as I learn new info. Since I started this thread, I have learned a lot about 6spds and bought a Corolla.

If anyone knows where to find a tranny, please let me know. I search eBay, CL, NASIOC and other places just about daily. I know there are trannies that are for sale out there, but I am looking to find one for a good price, and not take too many chances if possible. Finding one locally would be rad. Yes I saw the one in the classifieds here.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:27 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
That sucks. Sorry to hear that.I woulda hooked you up with that trans but it vanished.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:00 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by OneManArmy
That sucks. Sorry to hear that.I woulda hooked you up with that trans but it vanished.
No worries - I am not really bothered by it now that I have a daily. It's actually a lot more fun to think about now that I do not NEED the car.