STi 6spd swap into '02 WRX

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 07:11 PM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
IIRC, another way to keep the 5x100 is to use Spec B axles. They work with the WRX hubs, so just a path that wouldn't require you to use the Brembos.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:22 AM
Lil' Slugger

Car Info: 05 WRB STi Wagon/00 BRP GC Sedan
I have a R160 diff with a 3.90 R&P and an R180 flange for sale that I used to stay 5x100 with my 04 6-speed swap if you end up needing one.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:56 AM

Car Info: Fast
Originally Posted by Concillian
There are three "easy" routes:

1) 2004 since it's all 5x100
2) JDM since it's all 5x100
3) 2007 since it's 1.1 : 1 at the transfer case and need the same rear diff ratio, you can keep the entire WRX rear end.
Dont forget the 06...which has better gearing for anything other than drag racing

Also didnt mention the Spec-B axle setup as someone else mentioned, and there is a hybrid axle setup someone on NASIOC had made as well. Spec-B axles can be screwed up if you dont take em apart properly, they are EXPENSIVE new, and rare used. I have done this swap however, and it is a good option.

I have not used the hybrid parts, but a lot of people have. The one downside is that there are different axle spline counts so the inner CV replacement does not work on all axles.

Originally Posted by MonsterGC
many ways to keep your 5x100 with a 6 speed, even easier if you do not like abs

I highly recommend an 06+ 6 speed with dccdpro totally worth it!
Agreed...great setup. Easy to do on the cheap with the 3.54 r160 as mentioned above

Originally Posted by k-dogg39
I have a R160 diff with a 3.90 R&P and an R180 flange for sale that I used to stay 5x100 with my 04 6-speed swap if you end up needing one.
Another great option. Does your 3.90 r160 have a VLSD, or the open diff? I just swapped a 3.90 setup from my 99L into a 98 Legacy cause I pulled the 4.11 out of it for a rally car. I kinda regret wasting a perfectly good 3.90, but the Leggy will get better mileage...

And remember everyone...you DO NOT NEED an auto driveshaft!! Just get the flange off an r180 for $80 from any dealership. Use the newest driveshaft you can find, which will hopefully be from an STI, and swap the flange.

Last edited by aboothman; 05-22-2013 at 10:59 AM.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:00 AM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Team mate!
Old 05-22-2013, 01:35 PM
Lil' Slugger

Car Info: 05 WRB STi Wagon/00 BRP GC Sedan
Originally Posted by aboothman
Another great option. Does your 3.90 r160 have a VLSD, or the open diff? I just swapped a 3.90 setup from my 99L into a 98 Legacy cause I pulled the 4.11 out of it for a rally car. I kinda regret wasting a perfectly good 3.90, but the Leggy will get better mileage...

And remember everyone...you DO NOT NEED an auto driveshaft!! Just get the flange off an r180 for $80 from any dealership. Use the newest driveshaft you can find, which will hopefully be from an STI, and swap the flange.
Mine is VLSD from a wrx, 03 I believe I got it with the tranny at the time of my swap.. I have since switched to a R180 with brembo's etc.

Last edited by k-dogg39; 05-22-2013 at 03:05 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:50 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
I really appreciate the information! Looks like for the least amounts of parts to change, I should go with an '06-'07, but will need either axle stubs for female axles, or I am guessing late '04 or Spec.B front axles. From what I am seeing, it looks like I need to choose what final drive I want because the cost of an '06 box is around the same as an '04 box with axles and a rear diff. I am finding a lot of bare '04, '05 transmissions for $2200-$2600. I would still need to find a rear end, clutch setup and whatever would be needed for the axles.

Still not 100% sure what I am doing. I think I would like the lower final drive - though 3.90 would be fun at times, for my purposes, the 3.54 makes more sense. I just need to make sure that I would not have any issues otherwise with the '06 box. I found a couple - though they would need to be shipped - around $3k.

I checked out eBay and saw a few JDM gearboxes, but the prices are not any better than I am seeing from yards where I can get a USDM gearbox and know the miles of the car it came out of and such. I did find a wrecking yard offering "complete swap" setups but I need to see what they mean by that. If I get something that comes with Brembos, I will most likely put them up for sale to try to recover costs.

Putting up home audio and camera gear on CL tonight to try to raise cash for this. I don't absolutely need to sell stuff, but I have been thinking about getting rid of my home theatre setup for a while, and I never use my camera stuff anymore. Selling my 5D MKII body and 24-70 f/2.8L lens would just about pay for the parts, I would rather have a 6spd in my car than a camera. The audio stuff is NHT speakers I have been collecting for almost 10 years now. Awesome stuff, but I don't know when I will ever use it.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:41 PM

I actually prefer the 06 3.54 setup, and worry less about future grinding with the newer synchros. That and no hassle with the rear diff is worth a little extra to me. Drop in the tranny/clutch/shifter/ male front axles and go!!

The 04-05/JDM 3.90 are more tail happy, probably due in part to the 35/65 rear torque bias as opposed to the 06-07 41/59 torque distribution. I have both, albeit in different cars, and they drive a little different.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:05 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by aboothman
I actually prefer the 06 3.54 setup, and worry less about future grinding with the newer synchros. That and no hassle with the rear diff is worth a little extra to me. Drop in the tranny/clutch/shifter/ male front axles and go!!

The 04-05/JDM 3.90 are more tail happy, probably due in part to the 35/65 rear torque bias as opposed to the 06-07 41/59 torque distribution. I have both, albeit in different cars, and they drive a little different.
Yeah, newer does seem like the way to go. Is there any trouble finding the right axles to match up an '06 STi gearbox with my 5x100 WRX? Would that specifically be a "late '04" thing?
Old 05-23-2013, 06:11 AM

Car Info: 04 wagon
Pretty easy to find axles or just get the stubs. The stubs are not hard to install. Took me about 10 min. You would just need to pick up the stubs, seals, and cir clips. Then you could just reuse your current axles unless you find some for cheap. Its about 100 bucks for all the parts new to change it over. I have the parts numbers around here somewhere if you decide to go that way. Also 3.54 is plenty gearing with the 6, no regrets at all with my setup.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:17 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by ddavis
Pretty easy to find axles or just get the stubs. The stubs are not hard to install. Took me about 10 min. You would just need to pick up the stubs, seals, and cir clips. Then you could just reuse your current axles unless you find some for cheap. Its about 100 bucks for all the parts new to change it over. I have the parts numbers around here somewhere if you decide to go that way. Also 3.54 is plenty gearing with the 6, no regrets at all with my setup.
Hmmm - you had me at "reuse current axles" so I am going to see about getting an '06 box shipped out today. Fun times. It looks like the '06+ tranny is the super-easy way to go, with the rear end being the same as well.

Just need to get a shaft, or modify the R160 with an R180 flange (still not clear on this, but going to do some industrial-strength googling). I thought there was still a length issue with the spd being slightly longer than the 5spd and that was why the auto shaft was needed.

So for the '06 setup, I will need:

1. '06 STi gearbox ('07 would work too..?)
2. 2x Axle stubs to re-use my fem axles w/ the newer trans w/ male inserts
3. Seals for the above (not sure where they go, never seen these stubs)
4. Drive shaft or modified rear diff? I think this is the only foggy spot

What about plugs and connectors for reverse and neutral and such? Is there any wiring to worry about?
Old 05-23-2013, 08:33 PM

Auto DS OR Sti DS with r180 companion flange on your r160. It costs about $80 new.

5 speed DS is too long.

As for wiring just swap the neutral and reverse switches in the 6 speed, and the speed sensor if you feel like it. Cut the DCCD wires from the STI tranny harness, splice in more wire, and run em inside so you are ready for DCCD
Old 05-23-2013, 08:43 PM
rau
Something Custom

Car Info: You guys mad.
Originally Posted by Heedz
PM monstergc. I think his RS swap has an 06 6 speed in it.
That's why his wheelbase is slightly off
Old 05-23-2013, 10:44 PM

Car Info: 04 wagon
Your list should end up looking something like this...

- 06 tranny (make sure it has the 6 speed shifter linkage and clutch fork. Might want to upgrade your shifter bushings.)

- 2 axle stubs #38415AA110

- 2 circlips # 805329010 (these hold the stubs into the trans)

- seals #806730042 & #806730041 (they are different for each side and seal the stub to the tranny. Its good to pick up a seal puller they are cheap)

- DCCD pro (Need some switches for it, wire, and connectors to hook it all up. Some liquid tape to seal the connectors outside the car)

- 6 speed tranny mount ( I picked up a Group N mount with some whiteline bushings)

- Gear Oil (I used Motul Gear 300 75W90, It takes a little more then 4 quarts, so grab 5)

- Auto Driveshaft (you can take mine for free if you pick it up or try the sti/flange swap that others have mentioned)

I think that pretty much covers most of it. Oh and make sure your trans comes with a dipstick, they forgot mine and I didnt realize it until after it was all installed and I had to special order one.

Good Luck!
Old 05-24-2013, 03:01 AM

Car Info: 2000 2.5rs
honestly, if you are going through the trouble to do a 6 speed swap, might as well reap the benefits of having the full 6 speed including the r180 rear diff
Old 05-29-2013, 07:07 PM
VIP Member

Howdy - I just wanted to say thanks again for all the info, and part numbers even! I have recorded all of this and have a pretty good list of needed items if doing either a JDM box, USDM '04-'05, or USDM '06-'07. My top choice would be to use the '06-'07 box, but would also at least eventually want the R180 and the mechanical LSD, so that also means axles. I assume that JDM STi axles would fit the bill here and allow use of the R180 and my 5x100 suspension, but I have not confirmed that.

The problem is that I have spent a crazy amount of money on this car as well as my last, and I can't keep doing this. I will need to spend at least $3k plus shipping for a used gearbox, and then it would be a good idea to get a new clutch as well. I can re-use mine with a 6spd clutch fork and slave, but... but..

It seems like it would be pretty easy to hit $8-$10k for this swap, all tolled, and the way things go with me. So, now I am looking into Ralli-Spec's STI type 5spd gearsets. It looks like I can have my gearbox ready to rock with this gearset for around $2,100, p+l, after talking to my mechanic and his gearbox guy. I am looking at the Type STi instead of the Type RA because my car is primarily street driven, and I still want to do a 6speed down the road.

There is no two ways about it, that is the way to go. I definitely want the 6speed and this is something I have wanted to do for a while, but not now. If I had a house, I could just leave the car off the road for a month or seven and do it myself.

So is this super lame then? Anyone with this gearset? It would be ~$1,000 cheaper to just rebuild it as it is, but there has to be some kind of improvement here!

Quick Reply: STi 6spd swap into '02 WRX