Soooo..... who hates traffic cops?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 10:22 AM
I <3 White Girls

Car Info: E92 M3, E70, F32, E21
Originally Posted by WRXakaBooSTi
yeah, a lot of people are surprised to find out bart police are "real" police. ive never actually seen them do anything except drive around however.
next time you see one you should try passing it doing 45 in a 35 cuz they probably won't write you a ticket since they aren't a stupid traffic cop
Old 01-24-2006, 12:53 PM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

Originally Posted by WRXakaBooSTi
yeah, a lot of people are surprised to find out bart police are "real" police. ive never actually seen them do anything except drive around however.

you'd be surprised at what they do.

curious, how old are you? under 21?
Old 01-24-2006, 01:11 PM
I <3 White Girls

Car Info: E92 M3, E70, F32, E21
Originally Posted by ldivinag
you'd be surprised at what they do.

curious, how old are you? under 21?
my money is on under 18
Old 01-24-2006, 07:05 PM

Car Info: WREX
I have heard that Bart cops have to be extra bad-***, just due to the fact that some of them get chased after during enforcement tasks.

Just think about it...........The Bart cops don't have a lot of back-up at all times - even less than "real" police. So when things get hairy, they have to grab hold of their ***** and get the game on!
Old 01-25-2006, 07:48 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
You cann't beat a max speed law. TRUST ME.

Go to court, get an arraingment date, plead GUILTY, ask for a fine reduction (you're a student and go to school full time) and traffic school.

Should net you a less $100 fine, and the ability to go to traffic school.

and again, don't try to go ****ing john wayne cowboy on this ticket, and plead not guilty, you are going to lose.

-Gagan
Old 01-26-2006, 04:59 PM

Car Info: '09 MX-5, '09 IS-F
The campus cops at SFSU never arrested anybody on their own (that I saw). If someone was getting busted, there was a SFPD there.

Yes, you can get a ticket for going to slow... for impeding traffic. You have to be going quite slowly though.
Old 01-27-2006, 11:52 AM

Car Info: 2015 WRX
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
You cann't beat a max speed law. TRUST ME.

Go to court, get an arraingment date, plead GUILTY, ask for a fine reduction (you're a student and go to school full time) and traffic school.

Should net you a less $100 fine, and the ability to go to traffic school.

and again, don't try to go ****ing john wayne cowboy on this ticket, and plead not guilty, you are going to lose.

-Gagan

I am John Wayne, apparently. I followed the advice on Ticket Assassin, and have beat several tickets. lol.
I read up lots on it, and it worked. But YMMV....

First of all, there are several things you want to remember when you are pulled over. Roll your windows down, the officer is going to probably approach from the passengers side. Have your stereo shut off, and I would even suggest taking your hat, and/or sunglasses off. (a little respect). I also shut off the vehicle, good idea if you have exhaust, etc, as he may not notice, if you shut off before he walks up. Don't be making any weird movements as the LEO (Law Enforcement Officer) is walking up to the car, they don't know you, and they don't know that you aren't packing. You have to understand that every stop for them could be their last. I usually place both my hands on the wheel, and wait for the officer to approach. DONT GET OUT OF YOUR VEHICLE(unless instructed to do so). I will have made the necesary adjustments to stereo, windows, etc while pulling over, so that when I am stopped, I don't look suspicious. When the LEO comes up to your window, let him speak first. Respond politely. Don't admit to any wrongdoing. If he asks how fast you were going, don't say 90. :-P Use "Sir" its a title of respect, I know its not very popular around here, but it might help you out. Also, try to be as low key as possible. You want to make yourself as bland, and forgettable as possible. Ask very nicely, if you can have a warning. Might work.
When the traffic stop is over, and you have received your ticket, and the LEO has left; look over your ticket. Look for errors, inconcistencies, blank spots, etc. Before you pull back into traffic, take out a piece of paper, and write down the situation exactly as it occured. Don't leave anything out, you may need these small details later. If you can say without a doubt about a fact, and the LEO can only say "I think" or "I am pretty sure" but you can say "No. 'x' happened at exactly 2pm" etc...whatever. If you have a camera, take a pic of the roadway, and traffic conditions. Record the general weather, etc. I know this is starting to seem like a lot of trouble, but its worth in the long run in the form of insurance costs, fines, and traffic school costs. Ok, so you have done all that. On to the fun part.

When you received your ticket, you should have also received a court date. It should be on the ticket. The officer has a copy of this ticket(obviously) and it has the all the info that he will use in court to prosecute you. If you are an ***, he will have written that down on the back of the ticket, this is where all sorts of important info goes. Things out of the ordinary. That is why you were supposed to act like Joe Citizen back there. On to the ticket. So, when you get home, look up the violation, make sure it matches what he cited you for. If it doesn't match, great! Pass Go, Collect 200$
If it doesn't check all the other things on the ticket, such as make model of car, color, license plate, etc. If these are wrong, it is likely your ticket will be thrown out. So, proceed to court case, but don't forget to have back up ammo.
Ok, so you decided to fight it, ok great. First you want to start making motions for discovery(its been a while, so if I am wrong with terminology, correct me) These can be for all sorts of things, such as Speed Zone surveys(these justify why a speed limit is set at a certain threshold, they must be conducted every so many years, depending on what state), you can also make a motion for discovery of the officers training records, including general training records, and specific training for use of the radar/lidar device used to obtain your speed, also you can get the service records for that particular device used to obtain your speed, and when it was last calibrated. ETC. There are more things, but you will have to google them, as I can't think of them right now. The net effect of all this is two-fold, first, it will annoy the court, I have heard of some courts throwing your case out because they don't want to deal with all the paperwork in an already overloaded system, secondly, if something comes up, that they aren't up to speed on, then cool, you win. Also, if they don't provide the documents to you, to use in your defense in a "timely manner" then you win. Ok, on from there.
You are allowed a number of extensions to the court date. Not to mention that in a crowded court system things can come up to push your court date back.
In one case, I used my several extensions, and then they moved my court date again because it conflicted with their scheduling, etc. Then that conflicted with mine, lol, so then I asked for a trial by Written declaration. Its just where you write out the facts of the case, and then send it in, include pics if relevant, etc. The great part is that that officer is not payed to write up his trial by written declaration statement, so he has 0 motivation to do it. Where as a trial in court, he is on OT, which is sweet money. CHP make a very nice living, I am considering it after I am out of the Army. lol. So, you send that in, and then if they side with you, great, you win. If the officer doesn't send it in, great, you win. However if you lose this portion of the trial, you are allowed to appeal it and have a whole nother trial! This is called a Trial De Novo, if you lose this trial though, you suck, go home sans your 200$ or whatever. :-P This trial, however, is in the court room, so be prepared for it. Look professional, have all your crap in order. The court is going to know that you were the ***, that has been holding them up all this time, lol. I had one ticket go over a year before it went to trial. The great part about that, is back to the Joe Citizen thing, the LEO had no way of knowing who I was after that long. He had written a GAJILLION tickets since then, and so all he had to go off of was what was written on the back of the ticket, and if you were cool, he didn't have much. Besides "Cooperative ,Fair Weather, Light Traffic" (ideally)
Anyhow, this stuff works. I am proof. No more tickets on my record....I had one ever, but that is before I knew about this stuff, and I just layed over and took it. But that was long enough ago, it has dropped off my record...
Anyhow, that is just my take, I think TicketAssassin, and other sites will tell you similar crap.

Jon
Old 01-27-2006, 12:53 PM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

Originally Posted by EpsilonK

First of all, there are several things you want to remember when you are pulled over. Roll your windows down, the officer is going to probably approach from the passengers side. Have your stereo shut off, and I would even suggest taking your hat, and/or sunglasses off. (a little respect). I also shut off the vehicle, good idea if you have exhaust, etc, as he may not notice, if you shut off before he walks up. Don't be making any weird movements as the LEO (Law Enforcement Officer) is walking up to the car, they don't know you, and they don't know that you aren't packing. You have to understand that every stop for them could be their last. I usually place both my hands on the wheel, and wait for the officer to approach. DONT GET OUT OF YOUR VEHICLE(unless instructed to do so). I will have made the necesary adjustments to stereo, windows, etc while pulling over, so that when I am stopped, I don't look suspicious. When the LEO comes up to your window, let him speak first. Respond politely. Don't admit to any wrongdoing. If he asks how fast you were going, don't say 90. :-P Use "Sir" its a title of respect, I know its not very popular around here, but it might help you out. Also, try to be as low key as possible. You want to make yourself as bland, and forgettable as possible. Ask very nicely, if you can have a warning. Might work.
good points...

some to add:

1. never fidget around you seat. for example, trying to reach into the glove box for your insurance,etc. or worse, reaching under your seat!!!!! only get them out when the officer is looking at you. and do it SLOWLY!

2. if you have tinted windows, roll them down! if you are in an SUV, with tinted rear window, roll that down too.

3. at nite, turn on interior lights.

4. if you have passengers, tell them to show their hands.

remember, you want to make this stop as stress LESS as possible for them. heck you might just get off with a warning.

a family relative who's an LE, tells me traffic stops and responding to domestic violence calls are his scariest calls... he tells me this one stop.

dude is stuck inthe middle of intersection. looks normal, broken down car. so he stops and walks up to the guy. turns out dude was high on something and jumps him! fortunately, he just ended up with scrapes. bad guy went to the hospital.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:07 PM

Sometimes (depending on who you are) having both hands on the steering wheels shows nervousness. Officers usually look for this in some people, and like to try and find out "why" they are so nervous to be gripping the wheel with both hands.
Old 01-28-2006, 11:26 AM

Don't "Grip" the wheel, but it is a convenient place to put your hands that won't be in any way threatening to the LEO.

Where else would they put their hands? in their lap, where the LEO can't see them? or spread on the dash, where it looks Very Unnatural. or maybe just shove them under the seat, and see what sort of response you get :-P
Old 01-28-2006, 09:14 PM

Don't get me wrong, I have plenty of friends that say it (putting your hands on the wheel) works.

But, then there are those who say it gets the "LEO" <-- That's a cool name to use by the way - all nervous and suspicious.

I hang out with different types (groups) of friends - Street, Clubbers, etc., and I get different feedback from each group.

One example is when I was with two friends that are kind of on the street side. We were in oakland at around 9pm, in a civic with I.H.E (typical honda bolt-ons) was raining outside and my boy (the driver) kinda-sorta did a "hollywood stop" at a stop sign.

Well, the two cops come to the drivers side and passengers side (one on each side) and proceed to ask the typical questions. They tell him he ran the stop sign, and he promptly responded with, "which stop sign?" and was saying that he did not run the sign.

All the while his hands were in his lap covering his "strap" under his coat! (I didn't even know he had it there until after we left and he mentioned that it was a close call)

The LEO's go back to the cruiser, my boy decides to light up his cigarette and turn on his music - I was like damn, well let's see where this takes us! To finish up, the cops just give him a verbal warning and suggest that he take it a little easy for the night.

I am not trying to discount any of the information you are passing out, just simply offering my little input to the view on how some people can get away with having their hands on the wheel, while others can't.
Old 01-28-2006, 10:42 PM

Car Info: Subaru?
Originally Posted by unstble
Don't get me wrong, I have plenty of friends that say it (putting your hands on the wheel) works.

But, then there are those who say it gets the "LEO" <-- That's a cool name to use by the way - all nervous and suspicious.

I hang out with different types (groups) of friends - Street, Clubbers, etc., and I get different feedback from each group.

One example is when I was with two friends that are kind of on the street side. We were in oakland at around 9pm, in a civic with I.H.E (typical honda bolt-ons) was raining outside and my boy (the driver) kinda-sorta did a "hollywood stop" at a stop sign.

Well, the two cops come to the drivers side and passengers side (one on each side) and proceed to ask the typical questions. They tell him he ran the stop sign, and he promptly responded with, "which stop sign?" and was saying that he did not run the sign.

All the while his hands were in his lap covering his "strap" under his coat! (I didn't even know he had it there until after we left and he mentioned that it was a close call)

The LEO's go back to the cruiser, my boy decides to light up his cigarette and turn on his music - I was like damn, well let's see where this takes us! To finish up, the cops just give him a verbal warning and suggest that he take it a little easy for the night.

I am not trying to discount any of the information you are passing out, just simply offering my little input to the view on how some people can get away with having their hands on the wheel, while others can't.
Yeah when I got pulled over that night, I followed procedure. Hands on wheel, radio completely off, dome light on, driver window down. I even had a college sweatshirt on and had a couple of textbooks on the passenger seat. (but im sure the my blue colored car, along with the 35% window tints don’t help me) I think whether you get a ticket or not really matters on the cop's prior mood or depends on your offense that they pulled you over for. Simply being courteous won’t change a cop's mind imo. I think that if a cop is trying to meet "quota" or is so infuriated with what you did, they’ll write a ticket regardless.
Old 01-29-2006, 01:16 PM

It is illegal for officers to have quotas......they have goals. :-D

lol
Old 01-29-2006, 06:03 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Bugeyed Autowagon
when you come to a stop after getting pulled over, you should get out and run.
Old 01-29-2006, 06:18 PM

Only after popping smoke, and laying down suppressive fire.... oh wait...this isn't the Army....umm...well, you should have smoke grenades handy anyhow...

Quick Reply: Soooo..... who hates traffic cops?