So who got windows 7?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 11:55 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by fizay
so I just installed 7 Pro, cos the college deal was running out and certain glitches on build 7100 was pissing me off. So far, Pro has been better than the RC in many aspects, which is really surprising to me; boot time is shorter, battery lasts longer, and generally the load times for programs is snapier. It's a pleasant surprise, all things considered.

Been trying to fix my issues with 1080p playback and still haven't made any progress. Initially, I thought it was a buffering issue with the hdd due to the size of the files, but I don't think that's the case. Upon research, I found out that 7 does natively support H.264 but that it doesn't support .mkv files. DivX is working on a codec patch for x64 builds but it doesn't support audio. Since that seemed like a bad route (the patch is still beta) I also tried k-lite and cccp using WMP -classic x64. Still not working!!! On WMP12, the playback doesn't lag nor skip but the video is..."blocky" as in certain blocks will lag overall the picture isn't lagging. On WMP-Classic, the picture doesn't do this but it does lag and the audio-video will be out of sync. I'm kinda lost as to what to do and am on vacation in socal so haven't had the time to fully research and solve this dilemma. Also, this is only on 1080p. Most 720p will play perfectly, even more so if it's animation (less to process?)
What kind of video card do you have?

If I can run it on my netbook (look above) you can run it on any PC that has h264 hardware decoding.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:12 PM

Car Info: with the blinkers on
ATI HD Mobility Radeon 3410. Upgraded the drivers to most recently. I've been keeping up with your posts here (which is damn awesome btw) so I know the hardware is capable, Lemme get some serious time to sit down and work this on this some more, and I'll report back to you guys.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:49 PM
Old School

Upgrade to latest ATI driver bundle. Reboot.

Uninstall all codecs already installed. Reboot.

Reinstall latest CCCP. Reboot.

Use MCP-HC which is bundled with CCCP. It should work. If not, try going to external filters and choose or force certain ones. Once the proper drivers are there the Windows Media Video/Audio filters should work with acceleration.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:06 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX, 2014 BRZ
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
bump

So I put this

into my netbook's free PCIE slot and ended up with this

That's a 1080p mkv file of Star Trek, playing buttery smooth on my netbook with about 40% CPU Utilization. 720p mkv bluray rips are more common and playback at about 30% CPU Utilization. I usually get about 8hrs of battery with websurfing, normal use. HD Video cuts it to 4hrs, which is still really good IMO.

Not easy to get Windows Media or Media Center to use the broadcom chip, but that's okay. I can watch movies in MPC-HC without a hitch.

nice. what pci card is that? I've never seen one before put into a netbook.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:54 PM
Old School

Originally Posted by perry753
nice. what pci card is that? I've never seen one before put into a netbook.
Broadcom PCM70012. They are all over ebay!
Old 12-28-2009, 07:12 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
I got a copy of the 7 ultimate from MS (Authentic copy) that Im going to install on my upstairs machine, so we'll see how it goes.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:26 PM

Car Info: 4日本車
Just tossed Win7 Ultimate 32-bit onto our laptop a few days ago in a dual-boot setup through GRUB 2 (still learning the changes, as it's noticeably different from the old GRUB we are all familiar with), running Mint 8 (using Ubuntu's latest 9.1 distro).

Initial impression: shocking to see a modern MS Windows OS boot to desktop (in a usable state) in 30sec or less on our XPS m1330 laptop. Not only that, but Win7 comes surprisingly within reach of the Mint 8 boot time, which is very impressive for a MS product, given recent product history (we're all looking at you Vista.)

They have certainly made changes to explorer, and how Windows presents menus and information, but so far it has only taken seconds to find the old and reliable features/apps/menus that we know blindfolded, from NT/2k/XP. It wouldn't take long for any moderate computer user to adjust to the change in content presentation. I for one am a staunch advocate of the wait-and-see approach and I have a while yet before I make any switch from XP Pro on my primary desktop machine, but I am nonetheless confident in using 7 Ultimate on our laptop as a research sample to evaluate stability and compatibility. In the case of the average user, I do not see any major reason to not give 7 a chance to woo you back into Microsoft's arms.

Vastly superior boot times, and resource utilization, make switching to Win7 a no-brainer if currently running Vista, as well as offering a compelling option to those of us still running XP Pro or 2k Pro on our primary machines.

Disclaimer: All information pertains to Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit. I do not have first-hand experience with the "lesser" editions of Windows 7, or the 64-bit version of the OS. YMMV