So who got windows 7?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 09:28 AM

Car Info: Evo X GSR, F250 Powerstroke Diesel
Originally Posted by 04caliwrx
I will stock with my nice new mac book pro
Werd up OSX pwns all. Yea I might get windows 7 for my laptop though, but vista isnt THAT bad really. I thought how funny it was that it had borrowed allot of features from OSX (like widgets). If 7 is that good I'll probably get it.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:42 PM

Car Info: Blown Transmissions
The media player in Windows 7 sounds amazing for some reason.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:24 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by lanz0r
The media player in Windows 7 sounds amazing for some reason.
Like watching HDTV on my little netbook...

This is done with an Avermedia Volar Max USB Tuner.

Windows Media Center can integrate this, and even populate the guide, and also do recordings.

Soon when my HD decoder chip comes in, I'll be able to do all this with very little CPU use, and man, I can get HOURS of HD video.

All because of windows 7.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:31 PM

Car Info: 2016 CWP WRX
FREEBSD FOREVER!!!!!

josh

ps i too like win7. i also need to pony up and get it, for i was an alpha and beta tester. wish we got it free.....
Old 12-07-2009, 03:00 PM
Old School

Originally Posted by josh
wish we got it free.....
If one lacks morals, nearly things can be had for free
Old 12-07-2009, 08:44 PM

Car Info: RWD Camry
Do they still offer Win7 at the discounted price for students? Also, what kind of apps does Windows 7 come with? Microsoft office? I want to run this on a netbook but I'm too broke to buy the premium version.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:10 PM
Old School

Originally Posted by Pactin
Do they still offer Win7 at the discounted price for students? Also, what kind of apps does Windows 7 come with? Microsoft office? I want to run this on a netbook but I'm too broke to buy the premium version.
Look above

Yes, that deal is still active I believe. Win7 runs great on netbooks, look at my pictures above!

It does not come with MS Office... Please look at my post above yours, again.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:15 PM

Thanks for the reply Gagan. Sorry to sound noob, but how would I go about getting my copy?

Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
If one lacks morals, nearly things can be had for free
So you're saying I could get MS office for free? Nothing illegal I would hope...
Old 12-14-2009, 01:44 PM

Car Info: 2006 WRX STI
Does your netbook run Win 7 Starter? That **** sucks...

Best way to get Windows 7 for free is to register a new startup company with Microsoft's BizSpark or BizStart (something like that). Once approved that you are a legit startup, very easy to wing, you have access to an MSDN site for free iso's to popular MS products.

Maybe we could start a thread for an Iclub shared MSDN account. Call the startup I-club?
Old 12-14-2009, 02:23 PM

Car Info: 2007 Impreza 2.5i
I just installed 7 Pro last week. It was free (my boss handed me a disk and a key, for "home testing"), and Bitlocker just isn't worth that much to me on a non-mobile pc. So far so good, but it'll take about 12 hours of work to get all my programs and games Installed on it. This makes for the 7th version of Windows that I've personally used on a daily basis (starting with 3.1), and the 3rd version for the same motherboard in my build (started with a single core AMD64 and 512mb of RAM, ended up with a dual core and 3gb of RAM). XP, Vista, and now 7, all on basically the same hardware. How will it run?

I have used Vista from practically the moment it came out. Performance wise it doesn't feel all that much different, and I'm not too fond of how the new taskbar works. I find myself using alt-tab (and win-tab) far more often than before. I had less driver issues with 7 than with Vista, but most of the drivers I'm using are actually for Vista. If 7 had come first, I would have still fought with it for a while. The built in system monitors claim I'm using 24 percent of my RAM at idle, compared to 35 percent with Vista. If that's true, then that's a decent gain. However, 3 gigs is still a decent amount of RAM for the kind of basic work I do on that computer. 7 is probably incrementally faster right now than Vista was, but I don't expect it to really be that much in the end. You always pay a penalty for eye candy, no matter how good the programmer is. For now, I wish I still had Vista because it was "as i liked it" and nothing was wrong. If I decide to go back, it will be really easy to do. I installed 7 on an entirely different hard drive, so it's just a drive swap away to go back to Vista.

I liked Vista, I liked XP, I sorta like 7... but I felt this way when I first installed Vista. I'm sure in about a month I will like it also.

It just feels odd to change something for the sake of it, and not because something was broken.
Old 12-14-2009, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by ScoobySon
Does your netbook run Win 7 Starter? That **** sucks...

Best way to get Windows 7 for free is to register a new startup company with Microsoft's BizSpark or BizStart (something like that). Once approved that you are a legit startup, very easy to wing, you have access to an MSDN site for free iso's to popular MS products.

Maybe we could start a thread for an Iclub shared MSDN account. Call the startup I-club?
Nope, runs XP from the box.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:21 PM
Old School

Thanks for the reply Gagan. Sorry to sound noob, but how would I go about getting my copy?

So you're saying I could get MS office for free? Nothing illegal I would hope...
Yes, illegal.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:41 AM
Old School

bump

So I put this

into my netbook's free PCIE slot and ended up with this

That's a 1080p mkv file of Star Trek, playing buttery smooth on my netbook with about 40% CPU Utilization. 720p mkv bluray rips are more common and playback at about 30% CPU Utilization. I usually get about 8hrs of battery with websurfing, normal use. HD Video cuts it to 4hrs, which is still really good IMO.

Not easy to get Windows Media or Media Center to use the broadcom chip, but that's okay. I can watch movies in MPC-HC without a hitch.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:52 AM

Car Info: 1975 Ford Pinto
Daios told me about that card whent hat thing was still brand new iwth no support, amazing how popular it has gotten with the popularity of netbooks.

No need to build an htpc when I get mine.. my laptop has HDMI out, of course passes through the digital audio out through it, and to top it off, for older surround receivers without HDMI, my headphone jack doubles as an optical coax output as well.

Last edited by eugenile; 12-18-2009 at 12:55 AM.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:41 AM

Car Info: with the blinkers on
so I just installed 7 Pro, cos the college deal was running out and certain glitches on build 7100 was pissing me off. So far, Pro has been better than the RC in many aspects, which is really surprising to me; boot time is shorter, battery lasts longer, and generally the load times for programs is snapier. It's a pleasant surprise, all things considered.

Been trying to fix my issues with 1080p playback and still haven't made any progress. Initially, I thought it was a buffering issue with the hdd due to the size of the files, but I don't think that's the case. Upon research, I found out that 7 does natively support H.264 but that it doesn't support .mkv files. DivX is working on a codec patch for x64 builds but it doesn't support audio. Since that seemed like a bad route (the patch is still beta) I also tried k-lite and cccp using WMP -classic x64. Still not working!!! On WMP12, the playback doesn't lag nor skip but the video is..."blocky" as in certain blocks will lag overall the picture isn't lagging. On WMP-Classic, the picture doesn't do this but it does lag and the audio-video will be out of sync. I'm kinda lost as to what to do and am on vacation in socal so haven't had the time to fully research and solve this dilemma. Also, this is only on 1080p. Most 720p will play perfectly, even more so if it's animation (less to process?)

Quick Reply: So who got windows 7?