Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 08:51 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
yaay sharks
Old 05-20-2011, 08:55 PM

Car Info: 00 BRP 2.5RS Sold = 04 SRR WRX Wagon, 06 AW STI :(
Old 05-20-2011, 08:57 PM

Car Info: 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX wagon
Sharks still don't know what the 3rd period is, apparently. They almost lost that one.

A 5 minute major doesn't end on one goal guys!!!

Glad they pulled this one out. Now they still need to win Sunday at noon!
Old 05-20-2011, 09:13 PM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
Originally Posted by OzzyP
Sharks still don't know what the 3rd period is, apparently. They almost lost that one.

A 5 minute major doesn't end on one goal guys!!!

Glad they pulled this one out. Now they still need to win Sunday at noon!
My sentiments exactly.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:33 PM

Car Info: '01 GC8 & '96 OBS
The 5 minute major was definitely controversial. I personally didn't see much wrong with that play, had he not been hurt and continued skating away, no penalty would have been called imo. It's because McGinn is so huge and he was flying down the ice and hit him hard into the boards, resulting in injury, that a call was made.

Other than that major penalty, the Sharks played a reasonable third period. But all these penalties by both teams really is taking its toll on everyone. And what about that slash Kesler made at the very end of the game on Vlasic? No good.

Niemi was definitely a big difference maker tonight
Old 05-20-2011, 09:47 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRX - Stage 2 and EQ Tuned!
Originally Posted by bobb126
The 5 minute major was definitely controversial. I personally didn't see much wrong with that play, had he not been hurt and continued skating away, no penalty would have been called imo. It's because McGinn is so huge and he was flying down the ice and hit him hard into the boards, resulting in injury, that a call was made.

Other than that major penalty, the Sharks played a reasonable third period. But all these penalties by both teams really is taking its toll on everyone. And what about that slash Kesler made at the very end of the game on Vlasic? No good.

Niemi was definitely a big difference maker tonight
I agree with you on that call! It was a clean hit. His skates were on the ice. He finished the check which happened to be HUGE.

Whatever though. At least we came out with a win!
Old 05-21-2011, 12:29 AM

Car Info: 2005 WRX - Stage 2 and EQ Tuned!
Originally Posted by gqchynaboy
Old 05-21-2011, 04:35 PM

Was this game 1 or 2? lol
Old 05-22-2011, 08:12 AM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
Originally Posted by bobb126
Was this game 1 or 2? lol
Game 2 I believe since someone from the Sharks was perpetually in the box through the entire game.

Any news on McGinn?

Why yes, yes there is.....

Sharks notebook: Jamie McGinn escapes further punishment from NHL

By Mark Emmons
memmons@mercurynews.com
Posted: 05/21/2011 06:53:33 PM PDT
Updated: 05/21/2011 10:45:11 PM PDT

The NHL home office apparently decided that Sharks forward Jamie McGinn had been punished enough. The league took no further action against McGinn for his check into the boards of Vancouver defenseman Aaron Rome during San Jose's 4-3 victory in Game 3 of the Western Conference finals.

McGinn received a five-minute major penalty and a game misconduct for the hit, which bloodied Rome and forced him from the game in the third period Friday night. But Saturday, the league passed on suspending McGinn after holding a disciplinary hearing.
And McGinn was sticking to his story. He said he didn't mean to injure Rome and was trying only to finish his check.
"It's too bad that he got hurt," said McGinn, who also received a game misconduct in the first-round series against Los Angeles. "I think I've looked at it 100 times. I tried to slow. I was finishing my check, and he hit his head on the glass." McGinn added: "I'm not a dirty player. I don't try to take guys' heads off. I just try to play as hard as possible."

In the first period, McGinn knocked Christian Ehrhoff out of the game with a shoulder-to-shoulder check. Vancouver coach Alain Vigneault had little to say about the NHL's decision not to suspend McGinn. "I'm not going to comment on how the league interprets certain hits," Vigneault said. "Going to leave that up to them. That's all I want to say there."

Most of the Canucks chose their words carefully. "Obviously, my opinion doesn't count for much," defenseman Kevin Bieksa said. "But you just look at the injury that happened on the play, and obviously Aaron was pretty banged up. But the league saw it differently, I guess."
Vigneault refused to discuss the extent of Rome's and Ehrhoff's injuries. Neither player skated Saturday, and the Canucks spent Saturday talking as if it's a given the two defensemen won't play in Sunday's Game 4 at HP Pavilion.

The likely replacements would be Keith Ballard and Andrew Alberts. Ballard played in 65 regular-season games but has been out of the lineup since Game 2 of the second round. Rookie Christopher Tanev was summoned from Vancouver as insurance.
"It's something that we have to deal with," Vigneault said of the injuries. "I do believe that as a group we've dealt with a lot of injuries this year. We've been able to handle it real well. Right now, I'm confident that we're going to do the same thing." Just as Sharks coach Todd McLellan predicted after Friday's victory, Logan Couture was fine after taking an accidental elbow to the head from teammate Ryane Clowe in the third period.

Couture practiced Saturday and said he was ready to play in Game 4. But he didn't look that way Friday as he struggled to his feet and appeared woozy heading into the locker room. "I felt a little dazed," Couture said. "The doctor said I was fine, but they didn't want me coming back in the game."

Couture took the mandatory concussion test in the locker room, which he passed. He wanted to sit on the bench for the rest of the game, but McLellan sent him back to the locker room.

Clowe said: "If he's going to play on my line, he's got to have a nose like me. I hit him pretty hard. I didn't move." Defenseman Jason Demers, who has an undisclosed injury, did not practice Saturday. McLellan continues to call him "day to day." The Sharks blocked an impressive 26 shots in their Game 3 victory -- three of them during the two stretches totaling 1:55 of the second period when Vancouver held a five-on-three advantage.

While goalie Antti Niemi made big saves on Alexandre Burrows and Daniel Sedin as the Sharks were two men down, a pair of blocks by Douglas Murray and one by Joe Pavelski also helped keep the Canucks off the board.

Murray said blocking shots is particularly important in that five-on-three situation. "Obviously, it means less shots on net and less chances they're going to score," he said. "But also it's tough when they're five-on-three and you have two guys behind you. When a rebound comes, it's tough to recover, too. You're better off to keep everything in front of you." It's unclear if the 26 blocks were a team playoff record. The most shots the Sharks have blocked in a regular-season game is 25.

I believe the league made the right decision. It wasn't a malicious hit and unfortunately for Rome he got banged up because he wasn't paying attention. Sucks for Rome and it sucks the Sharks took a 5 minute major on a boarding hit. Even stevens.

Last edited by Superglue WRX; 05-22-2011 at 08:17 AM.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:29 AM

Car Info: 02 SILVER WRX
Back

Turning your back to avoid a hit should be considered diving. 10 years ago there was not all the hits from behind because no one turned there back. The hits to the head also now every one skates with there head down.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by sjsilversuby
Turning your back to avoid a hit should be considered diving. 10 years ago there was not all the hits from behind because no one turned there back. The hits to the head also now every one skates with there head down.
qft x1000

I remember when the NHL saw hits like this 10 years ago and they didn't do anything about it. Now, all Vancouver can do is complain about a 'terrible call' not to suspend McGinn. I have watched McGinn come up through the league the past few years and he is definitely not a dirty player and was just working hard and trying to contribute.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:43 AM

Car Info: 00 BRP 2.5RS Sold = 04 SRR WRX Wagon, 06 AW STI :(
I think it was a clean hit, they say Rome wasnt expecting it and thats why he was injured so bad. So how is that McGinn's fault? Your on the ice, against the boards, with the puck, in the playoffs. You think no one wants the puck you have?

There is no set rules for boarding, in the book it says that its completely a judgement call by the referees and probably the fact that Rome was slow to get up and bloody helped theyre call. NHL was right to not penalize him further, it was a clean hockey hit.

That aside, Go Sharks! My lucky wife got tickets for below face value from her friend so its girls day at the game and BBQ/Beer time for the guys.
Old 05-22-2011, 01:43 PM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
this game is making me mad
Old 05-22-2011, 01:56 PM

THREE 5 on 3 goals in a row in what, like 90 seconds? Sharks are falling down like a house of cards
Old 05-22-2011, 02:09 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
this game is making me want to puke.

Quick Reply: Sharks Thread