Seagate external HD sucks ...

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 03:25 PM
Token Toyota Mod

Car Info: Something german
this thread makes me lol.

Drop a drive and now the company sucks.

Last edited by soggynoodles; 11-20-2009 at 03:28 PM.
Old 11-20-2009, 04:17 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Originally Posted by Overbear
1)Having had to deal with seagate drives for more years than I care to say, both desktop side and server side (and MAN are their server drives CRAP), I think I have quite a bit of experience with various drive manufactures and who makes the better products and who makes ****.

2)I am well aware of what profit, overhead and such are, again I have been "in the business" longer than a good portion of i-club users have been alive. Once more you have a company that "markets" their drives as top notch equipment, that in fact is not. Perhaps kid, if you had been around computers and HD's as long as I have (hell, I remember the IBM series 1 platters and changing them out). You might have a leg to stand on, so its not just "running my mouth" its hard experience with both good and bad equipment over years and years of hands on use and support.

So, in short, kid, I might suggest you do a little research, and a little hands on experience before you jump up and "OMG you don't know ****" to someone else.
If you have so much experience in the field, perhaps you should qualify your statements beforehand with that information. Otherwise you just look like someone running their mouth with no reasoning backing up their "facts."

I would expect someone with as much age and wisdom as you portray yourself as having to conduct themselves in a little bit more of a level headed manner. This is why no one takes you seriously and you come off as some asshat on a rant. Unless you change the way you convey and support your messages, don't be surprised when no one gives credit to what you say.

Now that that is out of the way, maybe Seagate doesn't make the best professional grade equipment, but when I did research for a photography storage drive and asked around, the general consensus from people that use the drives for the same purpose I use mine for, was that Seagate's customer service was horrid, but that didn't really matter because you most likely wouldn't have to deal with them because the quality was better than other brands on the market.

I apologize if I have wounded your ego by challenging your personal views.
Old 11-20-2009, 06:38 PM

Car Info: silverthorne 2000 2.5rs
Concillian, not sure what you do at Seagate, and not really asking for help b/c the data on my HD affected by the firmware is either already backed up or replaceable, but any idea why they are telling me the firmware "flash" didnt work? The guy was short on answers just said it didn't work and there were "read errors" on the analysis which meant data loss.... basically gave the option of a $1k+ recovery or just replace the drive.

I didn't drop it, no funny noises, worked perfectly normal since day 1 until I booted up the computer one day and nothing would read the drive, wouldnt even show up in a BIOS.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:59 PM

Car Info: 97' Dodge Cummins and an RSTI thingie
Originally Posted by VRT MBasile
I apologize if I have wounded your ego by challenging your personal views.
I feel like you guys are always *****ing at eachother....

why don't you just make out already?
Old 11-20-2009, 11:25 PM

Car Info: .
Originally Posted by code3suby

why don't you just make out already?
Name:  gheyfight.gif
Views: 4
Size:  15.8 KB
Old 11-21-2009, 01:00 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRX, 2014 BRZ
Originally Posted by Overbear
so you would turn in a fellow subie owner, over a pile of **** hard drive made by a **** poor company, that cost seagate a total of $40 to produce in the first place...

You sir, are the type of person that deserved to crash into a wall and die a bloody, slow, painful death, while someone like me LAUGHS at you.
first of all, there's no need to jump to such harsh words. There's no need to rip on any particular company or other users. There's definitely no need for death threats!

Second, you are wrong about SSD drives. SSD drives are basically a bunch of flash memory that are actually MUCH faster than regular hard drives. There's no reading head and no spinning going on. Also, the OP dropped the hard drive, it's like rear ending someone and expecting no body damage...

I own 2 Asus EEE netbooks both with SSD, I can literally click the power button and my OS loads in an instant, ready to take notes immediately.

Last edited by perry753; 11-21-2009 at 01:05 AM.
Old 11-21-2009, 12:39 PM

Car Info: Forester XTi
Originally Posted by perry753
first of all, there's no need to jump to such harsh words. There's no need to rip on any particular company or other users. There's definitely no need for death threats!

Second, you are wrong about SSD drives. SSD drives are basically a bunch of flash memory that are actually MUCH faster than regular hard drives. There's no reading head and no spinning going on. Also, the OP dropped the hard drive, it's like rear ending someone and expecting no body damage...

I own 2 Asus EEE netbooks both with SSD, I can literally click the power button and my OS loads in an instant, ready to take notes immediately.
Short burst times are faster yes, but long run times are slower. Dump A huge file, and your going to see times go down quite a bit. Regardless you still have the bigger problem of limited write times. SSD can only handle I believe its 10k writes before its toast. That equates to about 3 years worth of use, give or take some, and if you are using it for OS loads, even shorter.