Seagate external HD sucks ...

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 04:08 AM

Car Info: SGM 135i
Seagate external HD sucks ...

I've had this 750 GB desktop external drive for a couple month. Got about 100 gb of stuff on it. Had it on my bed, and while it was on dropped it from my bed to my carpeted floor. This was probably a foot and half drop at most. The damn thing stopped working, now i gotta find a way to recover the data. *sigh*

/rant.
Old 11-20-2009, 06:39 AM

Car Info: silverthorne 2000 2.5rs
My Seagate 500GB SATA Barracuda drive randomly stopped being recognized by the BIOS one day, called tech support they said there was a known issue with the firmware, and told me to send it in. They called me yesterday saying they flashed it and it still is not responding, guy couldn't really tell me why it stopped working. Data recovery is so ****in expensive I'm not even gonna say what they quoted but that is not going to happen.

Bought the drive cause I have only heard good things about Seagate, now searching the model on google shows that they were nothing but lemons and now my **** is gone.. not buying a Seagate ever again.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:08 AM

Car Info: Forester XTi
Originally Posted by XkrazyAsianX
I've had this 750 GB desktop external drive for a couple month. Got about 100 gb of stuff on it. Had it on my bed, and while it was on dropped it from my bed to my carpeted floor. This was probably a foot and half drop at most. The damn thing stopped working, now i gotta find a way to recover the data. *sigh*

/rant.
Hate to say it but you might have skipped the read head off the plater, if thats the case only a data recovery company can get the stuff off it.

The problem is this, even a tiny fall, can do MASSIVE damage to a drive, if its spinning when it hits. All it takes is a single ding smaller than the size of the tip of a pin to eat the read head and *snap* toast.

I have had good luck with the western digital stuff, I have 2 1T external boxes (dual 500 in raid in each box) that I use to backup my file server at the house. Both have a good year on them now, no problems, and I am about to add 3 more 1T drives because I am expanding the server from 2T to 6T

Last edited by Overbear; 11-20-2009 at 07:10 AM.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:01 AM

Car Info: SGM 135i
bleh, i think im gonna look into solidstate drives. I'm getting a replacement with seagate in the meantime. The warranty department is sending me a new unit with a return postage for me to send my unit back. There's no marks of the body, so we'll see what happens. I had to pay 20 bucks for the new unit tho. I guess i'm gonna have to ****ing Velcro the damn drive to my desk.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:28 AM

bleh, i think im gonna look into solidstate drives. I'm getting a replacement with seagate in the meantime. The warranty department is sending me a new unit with a return postage for me to send my unit back. There's no marks of the body, so we'll see what happens. I had to pay 20 bucks for the new unit tho. I guess i'm gonna have to ****ing Velcro the damn drive to my desk.

Solid state has its issues too.

1)dollar for dollar its 3x more expensive per meg of space.
2)Solid state has a limited write lifespan just like jumpdrives have.
3)The speeds SUCK

Stick with disk for now, if you really need tons of external storage and don't need it to be portable, I would suggest looking into one of the windows "home servers". I just set one up for a friend, he spent under $1000 and has 3T of space, full backups of all computers in his house, and can serve movies and music to any room in his house including the TIVO in his living room.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:03 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
I just bought a 1TB seagate from Fry's for $96 bucks.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:28 AM

Car Info: a rental car and then a scooter
unfortunately you can't blame seagate if you dropped the hard drive. I know losing data sucks. Next time buy a HD with free fall sensor, it is well worth the money. I have one in my laptop and I dropped it from 4 feet and a couple of other times and it's still working great.

recovering data might be very pricey.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:10 AM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
You dropped your HD, and you're blaming seagate? If I were you, I wouldn't put my external on my bed, as it can hamper the cooling the HD needs, plus if you move on your bed, you can knock the HD off.

However, Seagate's quality is really inconsistant. Some of their models are great and last a while, some of the models die really quickly. When buying a Seagate definitely do your research before buying a certain model.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:46 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
The only time I've had problems with my Seagate external was when the power to the house went off and one 4 or so times in a matter of like 30 seconds. After that it wouldn't mount on my Mac but I could see it in disk utility. Since I figured the data was done for I did a quick erase. After that it mounted and I was able to use a data recovery application to get everything back. Since then I've had no problems.

Tip: Don't let it fall off your bed. When it does fall off, don't blame malfunction on the drive.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:22 AM

Car Info: 02 WRX sedan
Drives have an internal device to tell if max spec acceleration (shock) was exceeded to protect from non-op shock fraud. However, your was operational shock (op shock), which has a much lower spec. So we probably won't be able to tell you're committing fraud. Unless I manage to find the right phone number and let them know about this post.

And yes, 7200.11 drives had a firmware issue. Current 7200.11 should not have this issue, and 7200.12 drives do not. Recovery should be simple on these and there is information on the internet on how to identify if your drive might have the flawed firmware. If you have a 7200.11 drive, I'd definitely double check your firmware.

Every drive manufacturer has had it's quality issues. Compared to the Hitachi deathstar and the WD 3 platter 1.6 gig drives, the 7200.11 issue is actually pretty small, but people have short memories and will hate on Seagate for a while. That's cool and understandable.

Solid state drives are very quick access, and current gen SSDs have come down in price enough that they very attractive for use as a boot / applications drive, but normally small enough that you need some rotational storage for large files. Whoever said SSDs were slow has either:
- never actually used one and is talking out his ***
- used one of the ones with a (seriously flawed) Jmicron controller that by all rights should have all been recalled and customers offered full refunds because they were so horribly designed.
- used one so long ago that they aren't in touch with current offerings
- is drawing conclusions from USB thumb drives, which are a completely different type of solid state storage.

-- engineer

Last edited by Concillian; 11-20-2009 at 01:39 PM.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Concillian
Drives have an internal device to tell if max spec acceleration (shock) was exceeded to protect from non-op shock fraud. However, your was operational shock (op shock), which has a much lower spec. So we probably won't be able to tell you're committing fraud. Unless I manage to find the right phone number and let them know about this post.

And yes, 7200.11 drives had a firmware issue. Current 7200.11 should not have this issue, and 7200.12 drives do not. Recovery should be simple on these and there is information on the internet on how to identify if your drive might have the flawed firmware. If you have a 7200.11 drive, I'd definitely double check your firmware.

Every drive manufacturer has had it's quality issues. Compared to the Hitachi deathstar and the WD 3 platter 1.6 gig drives, the 7200.11 issue is actually pretty small, but people have short memories and will hate on Seagate for a while. That's cool and understandable.

Solid state drives are very quick access, and current gen SSDs have come down in price enough that they very attractive for use as a boot / applications drive, but normally small enough that you need some rotational storage for large files. Whoever said SSDs were slow has either:
- never actually used one and is talking out his ***
- used one of the ones with a (seriously flawed) Jmicron controller that by all rights should have all been recalled and customers offered full refunds because they were so horribly designed.
- used one so long ago that they aren't in touch with current offerings
- is drawing conclusions from USB thumb drives, which are a completely different type of solid state storage.

-- Matt
engineer @ Seagate.
so you would turn in a fellow subie owner, over a pile of **** hard drive made by a **** poor company, that cost seagate a total of $40 to produce in the first place...

You sir, are the type of person that deserved to crash into a wall and die a bloody, slow, painful death, while someone like me LAUGHS at you.
Old 11-20-2009, 12:02 PM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
Originally Posted by Overbear
so you would turn in a fellow subie owner, over a pile of **** hard drive made by a **** poor company, that cost seagate a total of $40 to produce in the first place...

You sir, are the type of person that deserved to crash into a wall and die a bloody, slow, painful death, while someone like me LAUGHS at you.
Fraud in general, I'm not saying either the OP or the one he quoted committed fraud since I don't know exactly what happened, costs consumers extra all the time. Every business has to cover their asses for people who want to blame the producer for everything that they screw up on, which raises the price for everyone. This is no different than someone breaking something on their Suby by modding it, then going back to stock and trying to get it fixed under warranty.

Who cares if it's a Suby owner or not, I'm sure if his company found out he could have known of fraud cases and not reported it, he could lose his job. I don't know about you, but a fellow Suby owner is not worth losing a well paying stable job.
Old 11-20-2009, 12:04 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Overbear

How do you figure its a "pile of ****" drive? And how do you figure they're a "**** poor company"? I'd also love to know what kind of knowledge you have regarding to manufacturing costs of hard drives, as well as basic business practices and the costs of distribution. Seagate doesn't sell DTC, so the retail price isn't really based on the manufacturing cost. There are other people in the process that have to make a profit too. Profit. Are you familiar with that term? It's why companies exist, to make a profit. You have no knowledge of the overhead expenses of any company involved in the manufacturing, distribution, or sales of Seagate drives, and therefore have no ground to stand on relating ANYTHING to the manufacturing cost. Please stop running your mouth, it got old a long time ago.

Also, I fail to see how owning a Subaru forces Concillian to have an allegiance to a specific person he has probably never met, rather than his place of employment.

Last edited by VRT MBasile; 11-20-2009 at 12:07 PM.
Old 11-20-2009, 12:12 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX
I am currently in the market for an external hard drive. What DO you guys like? I'm on a macbook pro with firewire 800, so I definitely want to go for a set up that works with 800 (none of the seagate ones do). Anyone used the OWC Mercury Elite?
Old 11-20-2009, 12:16 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by akdmx
I am currently in the market for an external hard drive. What DO you guys like? I'm on a macbook pro with firewire 800, so I definitely want to go for a set up that works with 800 (none of the seagate ones do). Anyone used the OWC Mercury Elite?
I have a Seagate 500GB drive in an Ultra enclosure connected to my Mac with Firewire. The only problem I've ever had was, like I said, when the power kept going off an on. The drive kept getting turned back on before the disk could finish spinning down multiple times. The drive is about 2 years old and thats the only issue I've ever had.

Quick Reply: Seagate external HD sucks ...