Seagate external HD sucks ...

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 12:31 PM

Car Info: Forester XTi
Originally Posted by VRT MBasile
How do you figure its a "pile of ****" drive? And how do you figure they're a "**** poor company"? I'd also love to know what kind of knowledge you have regarding to manufacturing costs of hard drives, as well as basic business practices and the costs of distribution. Seagate doesn't sell DTC, so the retail price isn't really based on the manufacturing cost. There are other people in the process that have to make a profit too. Profit. Are you familiar with that term? It's why companies exist, to make a profit. You have no knowledge of the overhead expenses of any company involved in the manufacturing, distribution, or sales of Seagate drives, and therefore have no ground to stand on relating ANYTHING to the manufacturing cost. Please stop running your mouth, it got old a long time ago.
1)Having had to deal with seagate drives for more years than I care to say, both desktop side and server side (and MAN are their server drives CRAP), I think I have quite a bit of experience with various drive manufactures and who makes the better products and who makes ****.

2)I am well aware of what profit, overhead and such are, again I have been "in the business" longer than a good portion of i-club users have been alive. Once more you have a company that "markets" their drives as top notch equipment, that in fact is not. Perhaps kid, if you had been around computers and HD's as long as I have (hell, I remember the IBM series 1 platters and changing them out). You might have a leg to stand on, so its not just "running my mouth" its hard experience with both good and bad equipment over years and years of hands on use and support.

So, in short, kid, I might suggest you do a little research, and a little hands on experience before you jump up and "OMG you don't know ****" to someone else.
Old 11-20-2009, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by akdmx
I am currently in the market for an external hard drive. What DO you guys like? I'm on a macbook pro with firewire 800, so I definitely want to go for a set up that works with 800 (none of the seagate ones do). Anyone used the OWC Mercury Elite?
Depending on how much space you need, you also might want to look at a MS home server. The HP units work with mac, and you can get a full unit with 2t of drive for around $600. This will also give you auto backups of your macbook drive, and on the go file storage. It even has FTP and Web services built in so you can set up a little home page if you want.

Again it really depends on your need. If you want top game, look to the buffalo teralink line, but they are a little $$$ over some other manufactures.
Old 11-20-2009, 12:46 PM

Car Info: a rental car and then a scooter
I have a RAID setup with an external dual bay setup I built myself. I don't like prepackaged external HD's because I can buy whatever enclosure I want and pick my own HDD.
Old 11-20-2009, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by baco
I have a RAID setup with an external dual bay setup I built myself. I don't like prepackaged external HD's because I can buy whatever enclosure I want and pick my own HDD.
You would love the cluged together RAID box I have set up right now on the server in my home. A old CD tower, replaced the power supply with a 800watt, put in 10 500gig server quality WD's, running them in "raid 10" (thats two raid 5 drives mirrored for the ones that don't know). All of them are older IDE drives, so I have this mass of IDE cables that come out the back of the cd tower, and down to the back of the server and in past a slot to the IDE raid card

All this backed up to 2 external raid(5) eSATA 1t drives, and the OS(server 2003 R2) to the DLT drive.
Old 11-20-2009, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Overbear
You would love the cluged together RAID box I have set up right now on the server in my home. A old CD tower, replaced the power supply with a 800watt, put in 10 500gig server quality WD's, running them in "raid 10" (thats two raid 5 drives mirrored for the ones that don't know). All of them are older IDE drives, so I have this mass of IDE cables that come out the back of the cd tower, and down to the back of the server and in past a slot to the IDE raid card

All this backed up to 2 external raid(5) eSATA 1t drives, and the OS(server 2003 R2) to the DLT drive.
ahaha. awesome! what are you using that server for? I have 2 WD 750MB each, they are the "eco" something, and don't get too warm. 5 years warranty.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by baco
ahaha. awesome! what are you using that server for? I have 2 WD 750MB each, they are the "eco" something, and don't get too warm. 5 years warranty.
File service mostly, I rip ALL my dvd to it, and all my music. Then I can pull it from anyplace in the house on any computer, or the TIVO system, or the media center in the living room. Plus I have it set up for domain control, and soon will have a 2nd server online that will issue out a VENT server, and a little web page so I can put my exchange server back in the house (its at a colo right now)
Old 11-20-2009, 01:29 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX sedan
Originally Posted by Overbear
so you would turn in a fellow subie owner, over a pile of **** hard drive made by a **** poor company, that cost seagate a total of $40 to produce in the first place...

You sir, are the type of person that deserved to crash into a wall and die a bloody, slow, painful death, while someone like me LAUGHS at you.
It's not about who owns what, or what costs who how much.

You can ask Gagan, I'm of the straight and narrow and always have been. Fraud is fraud, whether he's trying to dupe Seagate, or Subaru, or whoever. People who do this kind of thing make stuff more expensive for those of us who don't. I don't like freeloaders who think the world owes them something at MY expense.

IMO it's more dickish to let a hard drive fall off your bed while operating and send it back for warranty, expecting someone else to pay for your mistake than it is to turn them in for it.

That kind of fraud is just an example of what is wrong with some people in this country. He dropped a working hard drive and now it's not working. It's not working because he dropped it. He is expecting someone else to pay for his mistake? He's a puss-boy for that. Man up and take responsibility for your own actions.

So let me ask you this mr. death threat --
Why is it that you feel someone else should take responsibility for his actions when it's pretty clear by his own account that he killed the drive? Please answer me that one.

Last edited by Concillian; 11-20-2009 at 01:42 PM.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by akdmx
I am currently in the market for an external hard drive. What DO you guys like? I'm on a macbook pro with firewire 800, so I definitely want to go for a set up that works with 800 (none of the seagate ones do). Anyone used the OWC Mercury Elite?
- Buy an enclosure that supports whatever protocol you need to support (USB2.0, eSATA, Firewire, whatever).
- Buy a whatever drive to put in that enclosure you like

The only thing the packaged externals have over a setup like that is some software to help you copy stuff. If you can manage that on your own, buying them seperate is best in that you get exactly what you want AND it's cheaper.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:54 PM

Car Info: SGM 135i
just my luck to have a seagate engineer on here. I suppose since this is BAIC, i should've known there would be one. Well if it's your job to report such findings, then i suppose you have an obligation to do so. But if not, then not mentioning it would be sweet on my end. I do think the manufacture design has something to do with it tho. I mean, it's not like i drop it at waist height, or knee height. I had it on my ikea malm bed (you know how low those things are), and it rolled off and plopped onto carpeted ground as i was getting up. I didn't think anything of it at the time, but when i came back to transfer stuff, it would connect, and started making noises. I figure something was wrong.

I just feel like dropping a harddrive that lightly shouldn't cause catastrophic failure. And if it does, then it should be labeled, and the customer should be warned.

Last edited by XkrazyAsianX; 11-20-2009 at 02:09 PM.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:03 PM
banned

Car Info: Honda RVT RC51
Originally Posted by Concillian
IMO it's more dickish to let a hard drive fall off your bed while operating and send it back for warranty, expecting someone else to pay for your mistake than it is to turn them in for it.

That kind of fraud is just an example of what is wrong with some people in this country. He dropped a working hard drive and now it's not working. It's not working because he dropped it. He is expecting someone else to pay for his mistake? He's a puss-boy for that. Man up and take responsibility for your own actions.
Personal accountability is lost on a lot of people these days.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:32 PM

Another thing, I never lied to the rep i talked to. He never asked me for the reason behind the warranty. Simply wrote down my info, gave me two options; shipping them the defective unit, and wait for the new unit, or pay 20 and get the new unit then ship the defective. If anything, they have my credit card info, and if they deem this warranty a fraud, then they can charge me for the new drive. You don't know me, so there's no need for name calling here.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by XkrazyAsianX
I just feel like dropping a harddrive that lightly shouldn't cause catastrophic failure. And if it does, then it should be labeled, and the customer should be warned.
There should be specs on the box or in the instructions that indicate:
Shock,
Operating, 2ms (G) 70
Nonoperating, 1ms (G) 300

The fact that non-op is way bigger than op shock should be a big clue that you need to be more careful when the drive was operating. Those may not be the exact numbers for your drive, but there will be a large difference. Drives will be a lot more tolerant of a fall when they're off.

Note that if op-shock is a big concern, there are drives that perform well in this regard, they tend to be the small form-factor drives made for notebooks.

And yeah, I don't work anywhere near wherever the customer returns dept is, and I'm lazy, but still you should feel guilty.

Last edited by Concillian; 11-20-2009 at 02:40 PM.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by XkrazyAsianX
Another thing, I never lied to the rep i talked to.
so i don't feel guilty.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:58 PM
mda

Car Info: ?
Here for the BAIC gangbang...what'd I miss?
Old 11-20-2009, 03:10 PM

OT hey Mr.concillian, are there any openings at seagate? can I PM you my resume?

Quick Reply: Seagate external HD sucks ...