SCCA AutoX Boondoggle @ Oakland 2/19

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 07:34 PM

Car Info: Some sort of Subaru
Originally Posted by slugrx
having trouble understanding the class system

what would my car be in? ive got a LOT of random mods, so i feel like my car would be put into a higher class and then id just be placing last all day haha

ive got forged pistons, race bearings, cobb ap stg1, but ive got my stock dp as far as engine goes

got sti lca, whiteline alk, rear sway and coilovers on 18x8 225/40

also, my dad has a bmw z4m coupe that he auto-x at marina with the bmw club, ill try to get him to join one day
Possibly SM, but unless you run for points it doesn't really matter. You can choose to run out of class in any run group as "Fun".
Old 02-09-2012, 10:13 PM

Car Info: 06 STI
Originally Posted by slugrx
having trouble understanding the class system

what would my car be in? ive got a LOT of random mods, so i feel like my car would be put into a higher class and then id just be placing last all day haha

ive got forged pistons, race bearings, cobb ap stg1, but ive got my stock dp as far as engine goes

got sti lca, whiteline alk, rear sway and coilovers on 18x8 225/40

also, my dad has a bmw z4m coupe that he auto-x at marina with the bmw club, ill try to get him to join one day
Technically with the ALK you are in a prepared class (FP to be specific). If I were you i'd run T2-OSP. T2 is our local street tire class for street prepared and mod cars, and OSP stands for open street prepared. It's also a local class and you can do anything you want as long as it's street registered lol.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:11 PM

Car Info: LGT Wagon
What does tech inspection consist of?
Old 02-10-2012, 11:37 PM

They just look for loose items, floor mats removed, make sure the battery is secured, wheel bearings are in decent condition, brake pedal is firm, that sort of thing. It's not that involved, just basic stuff
Old 02-11-2012, 07:50 AM

Car Info: '01 Forester S
Originally Posted by scottj
What does tech inspection consist of?
And any obvious fluid leaks.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:19 AM

Car Info: '02 WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by G_Ride
Most of the autox groups have events on Sundays. Golden Gate Lotus Club and American Autox Series have some events on Saturdays.
Thanks!
Old 02-12-2012, 01:00 AM

Car Info: 2004 STI
The Sacramento Region SCCA runs saturdays and sundays. But the first event is in late April.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:05 PM

Car Info: Some sort of Subaru
Originally Posted by jdblock
The Sacramento Region SCCA runs saturdays and sundays. But the first event is in late April.
I completely forgot about the Sacramento Region.

dresk, here's the current schedule for the Sacramento Region SCCA:
Bay Area Autocross Forum: Northern California Events » Sacramento Chapter 2012 Schedule
Old 02-13-2012, 07:31 PM

Car Info: 95 Legacy
I'll be there, bringing the Legacy Manwagon. Pretty sure I'm in ST. Come say hi, I'm the guy with flatirons tuning buffalo stickers on the mirrors and colorado plates.

Looking forward to the event!
Old 02-13-2012, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by G_Ride
I completely forgot about the Sacramento Region.

dresk, here's the current schedule for the Sacramento Region SCCA:
Bay Area Autocross Forum: Northern California Events » Sacramento Chapter 2012 Schedule
Thanks guys. I actually go to a fair amount of the Sac ones as i live in Sac, but because it doesn't start until April, I was hoping to get a few more events in before that. I got a new set of tires that I am excited to try out. No big deal though. I'll have to keep an eye out though for any Saturday ones that come up before the Sac chapter starts out.

Hope the runs go well for you guys.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:29 AM

I have a quick question about upgrades within your class (D-stock). You know how a stock 2002 WRX differs from a stock 2011 WRX? (IE. more power, better springs, etc.) Can you program a 2002 up to the amount of stock power of a 2011 or upgrade your springs/struts to be the equivalent of a 2011 WRX? I looked a little in the rule book but didn't find much on this.

Gracias in advance.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:46 AM

Car Info: 95 Legacy
Originally Posted by dresk
I have a quick question about upgrades within your class (D-stock). You know how a stock 2002 WRX differs from a stock 2011 WRX? (IE. more power, better springs, etc.) Can you program a 2002 up to the amount of stock power of a 2011 or upgrade your springs/struts to be the equivalent of a 2011 WRX? I looked a little in the rule book but didn't find much on this.

Gracias in advance.
Well, a 2002 is lighter than a '10 so I doubt you'll be able to go far with that argument. Can you not do standard tunes in stock class? Not piggy backs, but ecu flashes?
Old 02-15-2012, 12:04 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2013 GR STi
Originally Posted by xtremeyolks
Technically with the ALK you are in a prepared class (FP to be specific). If I were you i'd run T2-OSP. T2 is our local street tire class for street prepared and mod cars, and OSP stands for open street prepared. It's also a local class and you can do anything you want as long as it's street registered lol.
****. I forgot about my ALK. Guess I can put my 18x9.5 wheels back on. T2-OSP? What is FM? The rules book just got really confusing.

Maybe I'll just run STU-FUN and forget about points.

Last edited by huck; 02-15-2012 at 12:06 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Bimmerman
Well, a 2002 is lighter than a '10 so I doubt you'll be able to go far with that argument. Can you not do standard tunes in stock class? Not piggy backs, but ecu flashes?
I'm really not sure if you can do a flash or not. I thought as a general rule you can play with timing but not boost, but I don't have anything to substantiate it. I'm hoping you can do something though.

Is there a way to have a tune so that you boost early without increasing the boost ceiling? Sorry, these are a few questions i've had for a while but didn't have the answer to.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:27 PM

Stock class you can't do anything to the ecu. Only stock reflashes from the dealership would be allowed.

Street touring you can alter the ecu and change timing and fuel. Can't touch the boost tables. Mechanical boost increase from like a dp would be legal though.

Yea ALK gets pretty much EVERYONE when they come out to autox lol. FP is F prepared. You don't want to run your sti in that class. W're talkin fully gutted not streetable at all.

Quick Reply: SCCA AutoX Boondoggle @ Oakland 2/19