Santa Rosa Smog Shop

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 02:31 PM

Car Info: wrx02
You answered your own questions. Put back the stock DP and keep it there if you don't want to go under the car again. Resuse the gaskets. Stage 2 to stock is no big deal. Use stock map or stage 1 map.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:36 PM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
Originally Posted by Cody8675309
I have my stock CBE too. Can I just drop the entire existing TBE in one piece and replace it with the stock stuff? It's been a long time since I modified my exhaust.
What should I do about gaskets? Just pick up some new ones for the OEM stuff and reuse the existing ones for going back to the aftermarket parts?

Am I going to have to do this every year? It's a MY03.
Sure you can drop the entire TBE but its kind of a pain to do solo and its only 1 less gasket to replace. Unless your TBE is welded as a 1 piece, Id recommend just changing the DP back to stock.

Personally I use the Grimspeed double thick gaskets because I hate having to track down exhaust leaks and so far they havent failed me with multiple installs.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:52 PM

Car Info: 03 Sonic Yellow WRX Sport Wagon
Originally Posted by willow
You answered your own questions. Put back the stock DP and keep it there if you don't want to go under the car again. Resuse the gaskets. Stage 2 to stock is no big deal. Use stock map or stage 1 map.
The DP only has one Cat. The midpipe has a cat as well. I'm thinking I should replace both. It'll depend on if I can get the flat flange adapter off the Borla Hush CBE. It's probably severely rusted in there by now.

If I used a stock or stage 1 map, I'd throw CEL's, big time. I could ask my tuner if he has a canned map that defeats all of the CEL's but doesn't run so rich...
Old 02-18-2012, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by wrxBRAH
Sure you can drop the entire TBE but its kind of a pain to do solo and its only 1 less gasket to replace. Unless your TBE is welded as a 1 piece, Id recommend just changing the DP back to stock.

Personally I use the Grimspeed double thick gaskets because I hate having to track down exhaust leaks and so far they havent failed me with multiple installs.
I'm really thinking this guy wants to see both cats. So if I have a buddy to help, I should be able to drop the entire exhaust in one piece? That midpipe bracket is kind of a ***** IIRC. I have the shorter Karboy hangers replacing all the stock ones.

Grimspeed gaskets are the bomb.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:26 PM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
I'm really thinking this guy wants to see both cats. So if I have a buddy to help, I should be able to drop the entire exhaust in one piece? That midpipe bracket is kind of a ***** IIRC. I have the shorter Karboy hangers replacing all the stock ones.

Grimspeed gaskets are the bomb.
Well my catless downpipe extends all the way to the midpipe and the stock downpipe fits all the way to there with the two cats. so you only have to take off the downpipe. Pics posted for reference below

Stock downpipe w/both cats

Aftermarket downpipe
Old 02-18-2012, 04:43 PM

What you're calling the stock DP is what I'm calling the stock DP PLUS a midpipe. The difference in terminology is probably due to the fact that I have a shorty catless DP and an aftermarket midpipe with a high flow cat.

Regardless, I now understand that you're saying to put both the stock DP and midpipe back on (in my terminology). Since I currently have a 3" flat flange at the joint where the CBE meets the midpipe (my terminolgy), the stock donut gasket wouldn't seal right so hopefully I can swap the donut flange back on the Borla Hush CBE, but I bet it's rusted in there real good...hence my reasoning for wanting to swap the entire TBE back to stock. I guess I'll just have to see if I can torch it out of there or something.