i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Bay Area (https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/)
-   -   Santa Rosa Smog Shop (https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/santa-rosa-smog-shop-239303/)

Cody8675309 02-17-2012 05:07 PM

Santa Rosa Smog Shop

Any specific "friendly" shops in town that are less likely to go crazy with the visual inspection? My stage 2 '03 WRX just failed the idle test and visual test (missing cat) though I do have one high-flow cat. I'm going to put the stock DP and stock 3rd cat on and retest. I just moved back from Reno and need a smog to get registered back here. Currently I still have NV plates.

I paid $45 for the failed test. The shop is called Cheap Smog Test and the guy was really scrutinizing the exhaust system, comparing it to images on his computer, though I don't think he noticed the UP. He said it should pass if I put the stock Downpipe back on (when I asked) but I'm wondering if there's another place in town that I'd be more likely to pass the visual at after swapping the stock DP and midpipe back on. When I asked, the lady said it would cost the same to retest regardless of where I go, $35 or something like that. Does that sound right?

He said it looked like it was running pretty rich. Any easy way to raise the idle a bit? It idles pretty slow. Should I be ok with the custom tune on there just for the drive to the smog shop and back?

DerekB707 02-17-2012 05:15 PM

Please PM him instead of posting cool shops on the board.

Krinkov 02-17-2012 06:47 PM

[QUOTE=Cody8675309;3206302]Any specific "friendly" shops in town that are less likely to go crazy with the visual inspection? My stage 2 '03 WRX just failed the idle test and visual test (missing cat) though I do have one high-flow cat. I'm going to put the stock DP and stock 3rd cat on and retest. I just moved back from Reno and need a smog to get registered back here. Currently I still have NV plates.

I paid $45 for the failed test. The shop is called Cheap Smog Test and the guy was really scrutinizing the exhaust system, comparing it to images on his computer, though I don't think he noticed the UP. He said it should pass if I put the stock Downpipe back on (when I asked) but I'm wondering if there's another place in town that I'd be more likely to pass the visual at after swapping the stock DP and midpipe back on. When I asked, the lady said it would cost the same to retest regardless of where I go, $35 or something like that. Does that sound right?

He said it looked like it was running pretty rich. Any easy way to raise the idle a bit? It idles pretty slow. Should I be ok with the custom tune on there just for the drive to the smog shop and back?[/QUOTE]

I dont get it, you want a shop that wont catch you on a visual, but if your putting your stock DP on then you wont fail a visual anyways.

If your asking for a smog "hook up" than no, nobody is going to hook up a complete stranger with a smog. Not in California. The fine now for a smog shop if they get caught is $10K and losing your smog license. To put in other terms, you might as well just come onto a forum asking if anyone wants to sell you a gram of cocaine since the penalty would actually be much lower.

04caliwrx 02-17-2012 06:59 PM

After this smog im going to register my car in tahoe so I wont have to smog my car anymore haha

Cody8675309 02-17-2012 07:03 PM

Hi Krinikov,

I think you're off base, but that's your opinion and you're entitled to it. I've got plenty of friends here (at least a couple of them, mods) and on other forums that could vouch for me if me being a "stranger" is really a relevant issue, which it's not. ****, I lived in Santa Rosa 16 years before my 7 year stint in Reno. This is my hometown.

Anyway, I'll try to be more clear.

Has anyone had a good experience with a smog shop in Santa Rosa despite having an aftermarket UP, CBE, and a stage 2 custom tune. Please PM me.

Krinkov 02-17-2012 07:25 PM

Im sorry you took so much offense to the "stranger" part, I didnt mean to imply you didnt know anyone on here. We've been averaging about 1-2 "Does anyone have a smog hook up?" thread a month around here recently and its getting pretty ridiculous. Anyhow, good luck with your smog.
Peace.

k-dogg39 02-18-2012 09:59 AM

Welcome back to Cali!:pointlaugh:

Just kidding. Good luck Cody.

Cody8675309 02-18-2012 10:06 AM

****er. :P

Roo 02-18-2012 10:07 AM

Nope, there aren't any "friendly" smog shops around here. Perhaps someone in Oakland might know of a shop...but that's too far for you to drive.

FXTbrah 02-18-2012 10:10 AM

Put the dp on and take it back to same guy. I dont see the issue here. You already solved your problem. It doesnt matter if you idle too low for smog test and as long as your monitors are running for obd2, a tune doesnt matter. you can add a little e85 if you're that worried.

old.guy 02-18-2012 10:22 AM

You could just keep everything in Reno. The low idle might be a problem.

Cody8675309 02-18-2012 12:06 PM

I have my stock CBE too. Can I just drop the entire existing TBE in one piece and replace it with the stock stuff? It's been a long time since I modified my exhaust.

Cody8675309 02-18-2012 01:02 PM

What should I do about gaskets? Just pick up some new ones for the OEM stuff and reuse the existing ones for going back to the aftermarket parts?

Am I going to have to do this every year? It's a MY03.

Krinkov 02-18-2012 01:58 PM

[QUOTE=wrxBRAH;3206523]Put the dp on and take it back to same guy. I dont see the issue here. You already solved your problem. It doesnt matter if you idle too low for smog test and as long as your monitors are running for obd2, a tune doesnt matter. [b]you can add a little e85 if you're that worried.[/b][/QUOTE]

this! Ive gotten 3 cars now to pass that failed by running 10:1 E85 mix :cool:

Jodice112 02-18-2012 02:25 PM

[QUOTE=Cody8675309;3206581]What should I do about gaskets? Just pick up some new ones for the OEM stuff and reuse the existing ones for going back to the aftermarket parts?

Am I going to have to do this every year? It's a MY03.[/QUOTE]

Smog is every 2 years.