Rosette popped my hood

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 03:17 PM

Car Info: 1997 Acura Integra GS Sedan
Originally Posted by mcowger
People may not like Rosetti (he does sound like a *****) but it appears he is usually right.
I think people don't think he is wrong, cuz it doesn't seem like he is.

I think people are more towards disliking the fact that he would rather pull someone over for turn signals than someone else for speeding or the like... almost as though he spends too much time busting people for stupid stuff when he could be concentrating on more important infractions...
Old 07-05-2007, 03:24 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Bugeyed Autowagon
Is it possible he was told by his commanding officer to be more vigilant towards modified cars?

Has any civilian ever had the ***** to go to the station and demand speaking with the on duty Sgt. or captain?

It’s easy and safe to ***** and moan on the internet about these sorts of things, but have any of you ever take proactive measurements towards understanding any agencies protocol towards modified vehicles?

You need to understand the rules if you’re going to play the game.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:29 PM

see, I know about paying to play...

but it seems as though he actively roots out cars just to pop their hoods, I've heard of a few stories now, after doing a little research, of people with stock cars getting pulled over, to which he complains about certain stock parts, so i dunno...seems like a ******** to me...
Old 07-05-2007, 04:15 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2004 PSM WRX
dam that suck steven! and werent you about to get rid of your car also!? =/
Old 07-05-2007, 05:01 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRB STi w/ s202 spoiler
@ newyorkreload:

Generally, when I'm pulled over things never get to a point where I feel like I want to talk to a shift supervisor (only twice have I felt the need, and once I actually did speak with them). My philosophy is this: read the law, know the law, stand your ground when you're in the right. In the three years I've owned my Subaru I've lost track the number of times I've been stopped, but I know that I've only ever received two tickets (both correctable), and one I took to court because the officer failed to sign both copies of the ticket (he later signed his copy to turn it in).

The key thing to remember is to not be an easy ticket. If you know you're right, and you know the VC's to back yourself up, you should. Just do it respectfully. *ALWAYS* thank the officer for doing their job and tell them to be safe.

As a side-note, I could probably write a book on how to handle a traffic stop. Any takers? :-)
Old 07-05-2007, 05:08 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Bugeyed Autowagon
Originally Posted by illogical
@ newyorkreload:

Generally, when I'm pulled over things never get to a point where I feel like I want to talk to a shift supervisor (only twice have I felt the need, and once I actually did speak with them). My philosophy is this: read the law, know the law, stand your ground when you're in the right. In the three years I've owned my Subaru I've lost track the number of times I've been stopped, but I know that I've only ever received two tickets (both correctable), and one I took to court because the officer failed to sign both copies of the ticket (he later signed his copy to turn it in).

The key thing to remember is to not be an easy ticket. If you know you're right, and you know the VC's to back yourself up, you should. Just do it respectfully. *ALWAYS* thank the officer for doing their job and tell them to be safe.

As a side-note, I could probably write a book on how to handle a traffic stop. Any takers? :-)
Word. I've yet to get a ticket in my Suby, I'm just trying to help out those that are magnets for them.

The state already has a book to help people out when they get stopped.

Old 07-05-2007, 05:16 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
rosette is a punk in its truest form. hides behind his badge. Even other fremont PD dislike him.

I'd fight it on grounds....

1. Those blinkers aren't legally necessary and if I'm not mistaken don't even work. You have blinkers in your headlight that he no doubt did not check.

He used this MISTAKE as reasoning to pull you over.

2. Test your exhaust. If it's under 95db then tell him to jump off a cliff.

The crappy part is, since you're running catless your exhaust is a warranted though petty and frustrating ticket. I've seen and heard of him writing some of the most rediculous tickets. Sadly for us....he's probably the most educated officer in the fremont area on modifications so he does know what to look for.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:40 PM

Car Info: '05 STI
Here are some of the issues you are going to have with exhaust tickets:

By the LETTER of the law it is illegal to perform ANY modification to an exhaust system.

This is there to stop people from doing dumb stuff like straight pipes/pollution control removal/noise makers/unsafe fire starting things.

This is NOT there to stop people from installing a replacement muffler. By the letter of the law anyone going to Midas for a new muffler would be citable. Replacing a muffler on your car is illegal in one section, but is legally justifiable.

He's always going to give you the ticket if he wants to, and by the letter of the law he's right. If you just had a cat back on that was 50 state legal and not very loud..then you could go to court and make him look like an idiot in front of the judge and his supervisor. If you were asian you could even pull the race card. If you had no cats, a turbo swap, FMIC, clear lights and side markers, fast and the furious windshield fluid squirter lights, carbon fiber hood, and a 4 foot wing on the trunk...the judge would just let the ticket stand.

Generally if there is a cop that can spot an exhaust on an import, then he's going to give you a ticket for it if that's the kind of thing they want to do all day. The only way to stop them would be to get some statistics on how many people he gave tickets to for that sort of thing, what kind of cars, what race of driver..and possibly make a profiling case out of it.

You might not even be able to contest the ticket. In Butte County CA, you can't contest a non moving violation..and exhaust is NOT a fixable violation..just a straight fine that doubles with each offense. The courts can make their own rules on top of the CVC.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:45 PM

Car Info: 2007 WRX (GD7)
Originally Posted by huck
If your car comes equipped from the factory with amber side markers, they must be present and amber. Can't remember where I read that.
True ~ you can't change it into any other color or anything ... I got pull over for that before ......... it sucks ~
Old 07-05-2007, 07:47 PM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
don't fight rosette period.

The codes he got your for are legit, and if you try to fight it, he'll try his best to only make the punishment worse. The amber light reflects light, which the carbon fiber one does not. If you don't have a dp cat, I'm guessing that you have an aftermarket exhaust, so I'd definitely not fight this.

There's a reason why he's known all over the country, yes, even on the east coast. There's another reason why he's the one who started the anti-import programs. Courts know he knows his stuff, even if he takes it too far.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:52 AM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by STi-owns-evo
don't fight rosette period.

The codes he got your for are legit, and if you try to fight it, he'll try his best to only make the punishment worse. The amber light reflects light, which the carbon fiber one does not. If you don't have a dp cat, I'm guessing that you have an aftermarket exhaust, so I'd definitely not fight this.

There's a reason why he's known all over the country, yes, even on the east coast. There's another reason why he's the one who started the anti-import programs. Courts know he knows his stuff, even if he takes it too far.
this is why rosette thinks he can do whatever he wants. I've seen him on the side of the road just waving people off...had 4-5-6 cars lined up on the side of the road.

Guy is a *****.

He wrote my buddy a ticket in a 40 year old car for being too low.

Saying that....he definately does not have a case for the exhaust. If he went to court with the attitude of sorry my bad...I fixed the exhaust, here's the sound test. But the blinkers are bunk he'd have a chance. Is there a law I am not aware of about SIDE MARKERS. If those are not functioning blinkers then I think the code that rosette gave is incorrect.

I'd honestly say that there is little chance of fighting the ticket but generally speaking if you go in and are respectful and humble and show that you've corrected the issues the judge will reduce fines and sometimes points. But sometimes not. I've experienced both.

It's the risk we run. I have several visible and audible violations and have gotten a couple fix it tickets for them. I only get pissed when the cops are ****** and are obviously using it as a way to try to get a bigger ticket out of you. Or if it's something rediculous like my tires aren't legal...REO70's. etc.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:10 AM

Car Info: www.pinoymamba.tumblr.com
I saw him on his bike on my way to Subdydude/Stupident odor removal and headlight restoration. I took a wrong turn and saw him lurking I was ****ting bricks because I had to turn around and go in front of him again. He didn't even look at my car. Then on my way home I saw him again jamming through an intersection.

The stories I have read has gotten me so scared of him.... I stay away from the nickel and dime.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:20 AM

If this dood is really that much of a *****, we should get a thread together were people can recall actual stories, places, times, maybe dates, etc. and put something together to send in anonymously maybe or maybe through a representative to his upper...
Old 07-06-2007, 11:46 AM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by 4URABUS
From the 2007 CVC book.

You have to give the devils their due, they dot their i's and cross their t's 99.9% of the time.

true that. good info. Question is...is that the code that rosette used? You could catch him on that if he used a different code.

He is very tough to beat as he knows his stuff better than most and he's an **** *****.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:49 AM

Car Info: 2009 A3 2.0T quattro
Originally Posted by SubyN00by
hold on, hold on...you're in an 02, and you have the lights (which stock don't blink on 02s) switched out for carbon fiber covers/ducts? And he wrote you up for that? Fight that one, cuz they don't blink from the factory anyway.

btw, who is rosette? code name for cops or is that a particular cop?
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
true that. good info. Question is...is that the code that rosette used? You could catch him on that if he used a different code.

He is very tough to beat as he knows his stuff better than most and he's an **** *****.

He did use the right code - read my post above - its a pretty generic code that says any mod to any lighting device that changes it is illegal.

Quick Reply: Rosette popped my hood