Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 12:09 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Question for BAIC Photography people in the know

Ok, I need help deciding between 2 DSLR's

The Canon Rebel XTi kit: $839
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-75-300mm...7706314&sr=1-7
  • Canon Digital Rebel XTi 10.1MP Digital SLR Camera (Black)
  • Canon EF-S 18-55mm Lens
  • Canon EF 75-300mm III Lens
  • Transcend 4GB 133X CompactFlash Card
  • High Speed USB 2.0 CompactFlash (CF) Card Reader
  • Spare Replacement Battery for Canon NB-2LH
  • Deluxe SLR System Camera Bag

The Sony Alpha A100 (leaning towards this one because the lenses are interchangeable with my film camera which I had a small zoom less for and wish to still use for photography classes) The body and kit would total $849
Camera Body: $610
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Alpha-10-...7706248&sr=1-5

Accessory Kit: $239
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-A100-A100...7705895&sr=1-9
  • Sony Alpha 75-300mm f/4.5-5.6 Zoom Lens
  • Sony Alpha SLR System Camera Case
  • Spare Replacement Battery for Sony NP-FM55H
  • Deluxe Photo/Video 57" Tripod

One kit will give me an extra CF card and one will give me a tripod (I have one, but horrible quality), and either way I'd end up with a small zoom lens and a 300mm zoom, so I'm just looking for input on quality. Its a 10.1mp vs. 10.2mp comparison, so no big difference there. The Alpha has in-body anti-shake, so it'll work with any lense put on it, and also has a physical anti-dust mechanism. The cannon also has a physical anti-dust system as well as dust removal if you use their software.

Any quality input is appreciated (meaning "[post]get the _____[/post]" is not helpful)

Last edited by VRT MBasile; 12-15-2007 at 12:21 AM.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:14 AM

Car Info: www.pinoymamba.tumblr.com
A100 =)
Old 12-15-2007, 01:35 AM

Car Info: 2006 San Remo Red WRX
My wife got me the Rebel XTI for Christmas. I haven't been ome yet, but from the reviews, it sounds like it's the best bang for the buck.
Old 12-15-2007, 02:00 AM

Car Info: Evo X GSR, F250 Powerstroke Diesel
This is what im saying...I was a Army combat photographer. I literally shot 100's of thousands of frames with my Nikon DSLR's. They cannot be beat. I don't know how Canon is nowadays but I gotta go with the tried and true, get a nice Nikon. I've dragged my camera through the mud, dirt, SAND (emphasis on the sand) and it still comes ready for the big show. Just don't get a "consumer level" camera like the D40, D50. D70, D80, etc, they are all made pf plastic and are not made for realistic situations a photographer would be in.

The real cameras start with the D1 at the most basic level, it was a pro DSLR that came out in 2001 that was the standard for digital photography at the time. Its very affordable now and very tough (probably more tough than any pro SLR thats out now). There are upgrades allong the line with the D1x (5.47 MP version of the D1 and a little more expensive), and the only real alternatives are the D200 (10.2 MP) and the D300.

The D300 just came out with a $1800 price tag. With a 12.1 MP sensor and fast AF operation its the ****, that aint no lie...if you got the scrilla. But if you really got the scrilla get a D2x (12.4 MP, straight up pro DSLR).

Last edited by SR20steve; 12-15-2007 at 02:02 AM.
Old 12-15-2007, 02:40 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Take it from a real pro...

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/recommended-cameras.htm

Also remember that if you aren't buying it from Amazon stock (ie: NO BUNDLES) then you are more than likely going to get a gray market camera/lens, which means NO warranty in the US.

Also, go play with cameras at Ritz camera or Wolf Camera. Get a feel for the units, the menus, all of that stuff.

Looking at your price range I'd go the Canon route just cause most amatuers go Canon cause the CMOS sensors on them are pretty trick. If you are looking to point and shoot your DSLR and not really learn it, get the XTi.

If you are actually wanting to improve your abilities, and learn somethings, read up about what Ken Rockwell has to say in his tutorials and his tech sections.

I just bought a D40 from a guy on craigslist for $450 with the 18-55 lens, bought a 18-200VR for $707 from amazon and got some other accessories like a SB-400 speedlight. I'm learning the camera, and using it as training wheels so that my photography get even better.I'll be looking to replace my body with something like a D300 in 1-2 years time, depending on how quickly I master the D40.
Old 12-15-2007, 06:31 AM

Car Info: Porsche 911 GT3
I would never buy Sony because those are the old Minolta lenses. Canon is OK in my book with technology and that's why they are somewhat ahead of the others, but dude, there is nothing better than a Nikon. D80, D200, and the new D300 are just the most amazing cameras.

But of course if you do have to choose between the ones you are listing here, I would pick the Canon. Lense selection and aftermarket stuff are much better. Every software you purchase out there will read the RAW files of a Canon more than any other camera.
Old 12-15-2007, 06:34 AM

Just look at this beauty

Old 12-15-2007, 06:35 AM

or this one
Old 12-15-2007, 06:36 AM

Look at the controls. This camera is so much easier to work than any I have ever seen.

Old 12-15-2007, 06:38 AM

How can anyone not be in love with this

Old 12-15-2007, 07:28 AM
VIP Member

The Nikons are a bit too expensive for me. What do you have against the old Minolta lenses though?
Old 12-15-2007, 07:53 AM

I always thought they were a bit too soft. I have used Nikon lenses and shot on Velvia 50 slides. I compared them to other cameras and lenses and found all other lenses are not as sharp as the Nikon. I know this because I have always scanned my slides and blow them up to very large prints. I love large prints. You can see the difference when you blow them up.

So it really depends on what you want to do with the images you take. This is coming from a guy that still shoots with a Large Format camera 4x5 and a single slide at a time. So I really know lenses.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-15-2007, 08:02 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Get the XTi if the choices are between those two cameras only.

A everyone and their mom has the XTi. It's so easy just to point and shoot and make great pictures with the Canon CMOS based cameras like the XTi. But seriously, go pick one up and feel it in person, it's pretty damn small, so I went a different direction, cause it didn't feel good in my hands.

Also, don't do those bundles. Buy the body only and get a nice IS lense for the same money. You'll definitely want IS, especially with any amount of zoom (past 80mm)
Old 12-15-2007, 08:39 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 99 legacy gt
well I 'll put me two cents in I say the xti if its between the those two the xti is one of the best kits on the market right now and some of the best imaging sensors and a fast auto focus as for the soney well lets put it this way you are buying a camera not a dvd player or tv why would you get something from a company that makes every electronic know to man not saying is not a good company but cameras is about all canon makes and they have been one of the leaders in the field for over 50 years
Old 12-15-2007, 09:16 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by tecnica tech
well I 'll put me two cents in I say the xti if its between the those two the xti is one of the best kits on the market right now and some of the best imaging sensors and a fast auto focus as for the soney well lets put it this way you are buying a camera not a dvd player or tv why would you get something from a company that makes every electronic know to man not saying is not a good company but cameras is about all canon makes and they have been one of the leaders in the field for over 50 years
so why would you buy a car from a company that started out making airplanes?

To MyNikonLens though, thanks for your input on the lenses. I think the biggest and of my pictures would be pinted would be 8x10/8x11, is the difference between the minolta and cannon lenses noticeable at that size?

Does anyone know if best buy or circuit city usually has the xti and alphas on display? Idiot-proofness is not a major concern of mine. I developed my own film before I was in high school (no longer have the room though) and learned to shoot on an Olympus OM-1 (automatic nothing, small +/- light meter)

By the way, I had to get some film last night and no one carries much film anymore! I remember when 7-11 had 100-800 ISO...my only options were 100 and 400

Last edited by VRT MBasile; 12-15-2007 at 09:22 AM.

Quick Reply: Question for BAIC Photography people in the know