Q. about hit and runs and insurance

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 06:08 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!
Q. about hit and runs and insurance

so my dad was the victim of a hit and run collision, and our insurance says he has to pay teh duductable. do hit and run victims usually have to fit the duductable bill usually?

if it matters, my dad has the plate number, but the plate came back "abandoned" or something, and the insurance people says it will take like 6 monthes to get back to us with an addy.

im a nub when it comes to isurance, deductibles, co pays, and whatever else, so any insight is welcomed.

thanks, truly.
Old 12-28-2005, 06:11 PM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: I got a couple :)
you have to pay ... Or get with a body shop that will waive the deductable.

gino
Old 12-28-2005, 06:15 PM
VIP Member

ok ridiculous question, a body shop that would wave your deductable would be like... insurance fraud, no?

oh and a followup question, if the wizkids at the dmv are able to find the person the car belongs to, we can like sue the guy for the deductable amount, yah?
Old 12-28-2005, 06:50 PM
Former Vendor

Car Info: Evo X
yes... But sometime you can get money for the parts you don't want to fix. For example, my wheel was slightly scratched during the accident. I didn't care if it's scratched and the bodyshop just gave me the money for the wheel, which reduced my deductable. You can get creative on this. Things like you find your own bumper cover for $50 while you are entitled to $200 for a new bumper cover. It's not fraud, just getting the money you are entitled to, and fix it yourself.

Originally Posted by dorifto88
ok ridiculous question, a body shop that would wave your deductable would be like... insurance fraud, no?
Shouldn't be that difficult to find the guy if you have the plate. My sister was in paralegal and had access to these type of lookup before. She was rear ended and they guy did not leave her his phone number. But she was able to look him up in 30 seconds. Good luck!

Originally Posted by dorifto88
oh and a followup question, if the wizkids at the dmv are able to find the person the car belongs to, we can like sue the guy for the deductable amount, yah?
Old 12-28-2005, 06:59 PM

Car Info: MY00RS25
The insurance people should sue on your dads behalf. You should post a desc. of the car. I'm sure you filed a police report.
Old 12-28-2005, 07:00 PM

Car Info: 2001 RS
I was recently in a hit and run situation and had the other parties lic plate #

see thread https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/owner-grey-2-5rs-lic-plate-%2Aryu%2A%2A3-121544/

Long story short just take it to the police station and they can call the other party for you and meet with you at the PD to exchange info if the PD cant locate it then chances are you might have the wrong plate #...

hope this helps
Old 12-28-2005, 08:07 PM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
I was in a hit and run in the rex and the guy had 2 different plates. Insurance said I had to pay the deductable unless they're able to get a positive match on one of the plates. Within a week I get a call for the adjuster to come out and look at my car. In a few days after, I get a check for a bit over $600. Never had to pay the deductable, I guess the DMV or CHP was able to find out who it was. Oh yeah, I had a witness who was kind enough to stop and give me their information to back me up to the insurance co.

Considering it's not even noticeable damage, and some touchup paint would fix it right up, it worked out well for me.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:09 PM
wu!

Car Info: '18 WRX Premium, '14 320i xDrive
I had a similar situation happen to me last year. In December, a car hit my car while it was parked outside my house. We ran outside immediately and saw a car drive by very slowly with one side crushed in the front. We called the police and gave the best description we could and the general direction it was travelling in. We couldn't see the plate.
Miraculously, the police found a car that fit the description about an hour later and arrested the driver who admitted fault.
I paid the deductible while my insurance company paid for the collision repair.
Six months later, I finally got the police report by going down to the county center. I faxed it to my old insurance company (since I had switched by then). Within a week, they sent me a check reimbursing me for the deductible in full. I also read the full police report since I was curious.
It took half a year for a satisfactory conclusion. Good luck.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:24 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Ver IV STi Wagon
I could see you having to pay the deductible IF there was no witnesses AND NO liscence plate taken down on the car that did the hit and run.

DMV should be able to track the plate number back to the last registered owner...abandoned or not.

Since you have the plate number you shouldn't have to pay squat.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:37 PM
VIP Member

rock on.
gonna talk to my dad's insurance agent guy dude whatever, and try to see what in the world ifs going on with their "investigation"
i appreciate the input.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:23 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2012 Mazda 3 Hatch
My car was hit-and-ran a few months ago.... right in front of my house, which sucks. No witnesses or even a visual. All I know is that the car had reddish paint since there were smears of it on my bumper. I had to pay my deductible, and since they couldn't find a perpetrator, my insurance went up. =(
Old 12-29-2005, 02:26 PM

Car Info: '09 MX-5, '09 IS-F
Normally you will need to have "waiver of collision deductible" or "uninsured motorist property damage" coverage on your policy for the insurance company to pay it. It may be called something else... depends on the company.

When I had a hit and run, I made a police report, and a claim with State Farm. I waited 30 days for them to verify the insurance of the other party... then I called SF and asked for payment. They sent a check for the full amount of the damages... maybe it helped that I worked for State Farm too.