Problems with my PS3, can anyone help me out?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 07:30 AM

Car Info: 2001 BMW M5
Glad that worked out for you. I'm still running my og 1st gen ps3 made in Japan.

I've always liked and used high end cables. Audioquest is my brand of choice. I have both my ps3 and 360 hooked up to an XBR, and the AQ equipped ps3 looks better than the pack in hdmi 360. I use the ps3 for movies and the 360 for gaming. Test was run on Street Fighter IV, which I bought for both systems to get both figures. (sad, I know, but I had to do it)

Simon sez:

Don't knock it till you tried it. I see value in good cables. Same could be said for speakers. Sure my stock STi speakers worked, but my zr650's sound a whole lot better, but at a obscene price.

Ah the things we use expendable income for...
Old 12-27-2009, 07:46 AM

Car Info: 05 STi
Perform SPOTS, point the weapon up and down range, identify target, commence firing. Hope that helps.
Old 12-27-2009, 08:55 AM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

or SPORTS, for those with M16/AR-15...
Old 12-27-2009, 05:18 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by brucelee
Turns out that it was my HDMI cable actually... I switched them and then reset everything, but I was doubting it was the HDMI cable since cables hardly every just fail, but sure enough, mine did. In case you're wondering, it was a Dynex 6' cable that I got from Best Buy... They normally go for $30 each but I got it for $15 when it was on sale... I had another higher end cable that I switched to and is why Im able to use the HDMI feature now, not because I reset it. (I switched back to the old cable to see if it was the cable even though I had high doubts that it was, and when I did the PS3 didn't work via HDMI, as soon as I switched to the higher end cable everything worked again).

It's really weird since the cable was only a month old, never had anything bad happen to it, nor was it damaged in any way... I've never had a cable go out on me like this, usually when a cable fails it's because it's been damaged in some way, but this one was flawless in terms of it's condition. I've used a lot of cables and have A LOT of experience with PC hardware from college and professional experience... I used to build custom PC's for the techs at Adobe as my first job so I've seen just about everything in terms of mechanical failures in PC hardware, and that includes cables. This is the first time a cable has ever failed me out of the blue without being damaged physically. Who knows why it crapped out like this *shrugs*

I'm going to return the cable since I still have the receipt and box... They said I could return anything for a full refund till the end of January when I bought all my stuff (I got that 46" LCD TV + PS3 + Game + Blu ray movie for $941 deal). Usually they only take things back after 14 days, but since it was Xmas they extended their returns until the end of Jan.

Keep all this info in mind if your PS3 craps out like mine did (well, what I thought was my PS3 crapping out).

(PS: Cheap cable was made in China, high end cable made in Japan)
It doesn't make any difference where it was made or who made it.

No reason to ever buy an expensive HDMI cable, EVER. They all fail at the same rates. Since brand name cables are made in much higher numbers you tend to see them fail more often (in numbers, not in percentage...)

If you need a cheap cable, I can stand behind the ones we make ourselves at Oppo.

And they are chinese made, as good as anything in the same length.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:20 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by Gouki
Glad that worked out for you. I'm still running my og 1st gen ps3 made in Japan.

I've always liked and used high end cables. Audioquest is my brand of choice. I have both my ps3 and 360 hooked up to an XBR, and the AQ equipped ps3 looks better than the pack in hdmi 360. I use the ps3 for movies and the 360 for gaming. Test was run on Street Fighter IV, which I bought for both systems to get both figures. (sad, I know, but I had to do it)

Simon sez:

Don't knock it till you tried it. I see value in good cables. Same could be said for speakers. Sure my stock STi speakers worked, but my zr650's sound a whole lot better, but at a obscene price.

Ah the things we use expendable income for...
How do you like your digital cable snake oil? Hot, or cold?

Be careful with the sugar, it can mess with your head.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:22 PM

Car Info: 08 Wrx hatch
From my experience.. I had one TV that was 1080p and another 720p.. when I went to switch TV's, the 1080p settings carried over to the 720p and I was not able to get any picture until I changed the settings to 720p. Prob not what your looking for, but I hope you get it all figured out.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:30 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
It doesn't make any difference where it was made or who made it.

No reason to ever buy an expensive HDMI cable, EVER. They all fail at the same rates. Since brand name cables are made in much higher numbers you tend to see them fail more often (in numbers, not in percentage...)

If you need a cheap cable, I can stand behind the ones we make ourselves at Oppo.

And they are chinese made, as good as anything in the same length.
Like I said earlier in the thread, I have NEVER seen a cable fail like this ever in my life. I have a lot of experience with PC hardware and have used more cables then I care to even admit... Every variety of cable in every color and length, if it exists I've probably used it. Never have I seen a cable be the fault of something not working unless the cable had been physically damaged, but this HDMI cable was BRAND NEW, never moved beyond our living room, never touched or tinkered with... But it failed, and who knows why. I'm pretty certain that it's an isolated issue and something went wrong during the manufacturing process (faulty material of some sort, just a matter of time). It can happen to any company no matter how high quality, it just happened to be the less expensive cable that I had.

The chances of this happening are really rare, so rare that I couldn't find a single article published online about a PS3 failing due to a faulty cable.

Anyway, so regarding COD MW2, what's the info with the BAIC players? How can I join you guys in a game?

I'm really into Assassin's Creed II, but COD MW2 is def a cool game and I'd love to play with you guys.

I've never played a multiplayer shooter like this VIA console... I always play PC games and this is my first ever console with network capability.
Old 12-27-2009, 06:49 PM

Car Info: 2015 Ford F-150 XLT FX4 Sports Package,SOLD-05 STi
Anyway, so regarding COD MW2, what's the info with the BAIC players? How can I join you guys in a game?
Here's the thread for COD MW2
https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/cod-modern-warfare-2-ohboyohboyohboy-204586/
Alot of guys list their PSN names on here

Bunch of us play almost every night around 9pm til whenever. We play in parties so we can always be on the same team. Their are some really good guys from BAIC, SCIC and HIIC.

List your PSN name and I'll add you
Old 01-14-2010, 08:42 PM

Car Info: 05 OBP LGT LTD. Sedan
http://www.xpcgear.com/hdmgc6g.html if your cable is fried. if anything i can probably purchase this and pick it up for locally since i know some people that work there. If you ever decide to go to the Cafe Zen meets that ive been reluctant to go to then thats a possible place to meet. Let me know if you need it via PM thanks!

Last edited by LegAC_GT; 01-14-2010 at 08:45 PM.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:51 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX
Originally Posted by johndabrit
.... Hdmi Is hdmi. Either works or it doesn't...
Not completely true: the HDMI cable was designed to be made in twisted pair style but they are actually being made in coax, which results in dropped pixels occasionally over long distances like in an in-wall set up.

I bought an hdmi cable for my ps3 here

http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...02&cp_id=10240

for like $12 after tax and shipping.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:31 PM
rau
Something Custom

Car Info: You guys mad.
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
How do you like your digital cable snake oil? Hot, or cold?

Be careful with the sugar, it can mess with your head.
I got six HDMI cables for free when I got my cable service. All high end, all gold plated connections yada yada yada. The cheap *** ne I bought for my PS3 looks the same. And I spent all of 5 bucks on it
Old 01-15-2010, 01:43 AM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
Originally Posted by rau
I got six HDMI cables for free when I got my cable service. All high end, all gold plated connections yada yada yada. The cheap *** ne I bought for my PS3 looks the same. And I spent all of 5 bucks on it
yeah, gold plated means nil for hdmi.

If anyone is looking for cheap HDMI, fry's has it FAR right now.

http://www.frys.com/product/6085538?...Homepage:Spot5

Good until the 16th
Old 01-15-2010, 12:10 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02 WRB WRX Wagon
I bought the one in the aisle with the PS3's. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+H...&skuId=8657982 , this one cause I wanted the long usb cable so I can charge my controller while I play and not having to sit so close the one that came with the system was too short for me to use with where my PS3 is. And I actually broke the plastic around the one end of the HDMI cable and it still works flawlessly.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:12 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02 WRB WRX Wagon

I'm really into Assassin's Creed II, but COD MW2 is def a cool game and I'd love to play with you guys.

I've never played a multiplayer shooter like this VIA console... I always play PC games and this is my first ever console with network capability.
And let me tell you, Assassin's Creed 2 is fun to play. But once you beat it, there is nothing left to it. COD MW2 is way more fun, especially online when you get some good kills. It can be frustrating in the beginning when you have nothing unlocked and you are getting killed by guys running around with dual 1887's or even dual Ranger shotguns and are blowing you across the map. But that's when you get even