Problems with my PS3, can anyone help me out?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 05:27 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Problems with my PS3, can anyone help me out?

Ive had my PS3 for about a month now and have used it for a total of about 12 hours I'd say... Today I turn it on to play some Assassin's Creed II and I can't get a signal from the HDMI port which is really strange, so I try plugging it into other HDMI ports with no luck. I have zero signal at all and I have no idea why, nothing has been damaged or anything like that.

I went online to see what I could do to fix or resolve it, and people suggested that I plug it in via component cable (audio/video cable), then hold down the power button on the PS3 for 10 seconds to reset the settings (since I wasn't getting a signal through the component side before the reset). After resetting I am able to get a signal but ONLY through the component side and it looks like CRAP. I have no signal through the HDMI side what so ever. I examined everything and nothing looks damaged or anything like that.

Can my HDMI cable be bad? Has anyone else had this issue? I think Im gonna go to best buy and return the cable but I wanted to see if maybe it's an issue with my PS3 (maybe a known issue that I don't know about). This is REALLY weak because the HDMI side looks about 50x better then the component side and I'm really frustrated at the moment!

Quick recap: I've tried every HDMI port and have tried resetting the PS3 with no luck. The audio/video plug works and I get a signal through that but it doesn't look anywhere close to the HDMI picture that I was getting before it stopped working. So in short, the HDMI doesn't work, and the component does, this happened out of the blue and nothing was ever dropped/damaged in any way shape or form. Help?
Old 12-26-2009, 05:31 PM

Car Info: 2011 2.5i Spark Silver
any power surges in your area since that might of killed something if its not plugged into a surge protector.
Old 12-26-2009, 05:32 PM

Car Info: Cage and Slicks and Wing OH MY!!
Alot of times HDMI cables can go bad.

I get it every once in a while, but its my tv. I turn my tv off then back on.
Old 12-26-2009, 05:34 PM

Car Info: '14 Odyssey & '13 Prius
Once in a while, my ps3 acts up as well. I'll turn it on and all i see onscreen is a snowy page, no images or anything. I unplug my hdmi cable from ps3 and plug it back in. That usually does the trick.

Brucelee, are you going to hop on MW2 with the rest of us?
Old 12-26-2009, 06:02 PM

Car Info: Frankenstein 02' PBP STi :P (RIP) 2016 WRX
Try holding down the power button for a few seconds to restart the system. Hopefully that helps.
Old 12-26-2009, 06:18 PM
Da Brit.

Car Info: http://tinyurl.com/3vo4362
Yeah holding power will the video reset. Hdmi Is hdmi. Either works or it doesn't. You don't gain anything by using the expensive ones. Best I've found is 9 bucks at frys. (if your cable is fried)
Old 12-26-2009, 06:37 PM

Car Info: '97 Grandpa Gold Jetta
Since you reset your audio/video settings, you have to set the PS3 back up for an HDMI connection. The PS3 doesn't automatically detect the best audio/video connection and go with that. It uses what is selected in the settings. So you're going to have to have your PS3 connected via HDMI and the component cables. That way you can use your component connection to access the PS3, go into your display/video settings and set it up for the HDMI connection. The screen will go black and wont show a connection. During this time you have 30sec's to switch your TV input to the HDMI connection and your PS3 screen should be displayed now. It'll ask you if you want to keep this setting and you'll select "yes", then your PS3 will be set up for the HDMI connection. After you have your PS3 connected via HDMI successfully you can disconnect the component cables and put them away.

It can be a little complicating setting the PS3 up, so I hope I explained it in a way others can understand hahaha.

Last edited by 04Impreza; 12-26-2009 at 06:40 PM.
Old 12-26-2009, 06:52 PM

thats what i ment.
Old 12-26-2009, 06:54 PM

Car Info: 2016 WRX, 2014 lifter forester XT, 2005 JDM207 WGN
Yes a hdmi can go bad, must be one of those $10 hdmi cabels that work so well haha
Old 12-26-2009, 08:07 PM

Car Info: 1975 Ford Pinto
Originally Posted by 04caliwrx
Yes a hdmi can go bad, must be one of those $10 hdmi cabels that work so well haha
must be, because my $2-4 one from monoprice has not failed going over 2 years.
Old 12-26-2009, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by 04Impreza
Since you reset your audio/video settings, you have to set the PS3 back up for an HDMI connection. The PS3 doesn't automatically detect the best audio/video connection and go with that. It uses what is selected in the settings. So you're going to have to have your PS3 connected via HDMI and the component cables. That way you can use your component connection to access the PS3, go into your display/video settings and set it up for the HDMI connection. The screen will go black and wont show a connection. During this time you have 30sec's to switch your TV input to the HDMI connection and your PS3 screen should be displayed now. It'll ask you if you want to keep this setting and you'll select "yes", then your PS3 will be set up for the HDMI connection. After you have your PS3 connected via HDMI successfully you can disconnect the component cables and put them away.

It can be a little complicating setting the PS3 up, so I hope I explained it in a way others can understand hahaha.
Damn, that was a pain in the ***... I had to reset everything, and did what you said and it worked. Thank you so much, I really thought my PS3 crapped out. Thanks again, I really appreciate it!
Old 12-26-2009, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by brucelee
Damn, that was a pain in the ***... I had to reset everything, and did what you said and it worked. Thank you so much, I really thought my PS3 crapped out. Thanks again, I really appreciate it!
GLad it worked out. Sorry i didn't type out as great of a description, but it worked out!
Old 12-26-2009, 08:52 PM
rau
Something Custom

Car Info: You guys mad.
Originally Posted by Giibo
Brucelee, are you going to hop on MW2 with the rest of us?
If he does he's gonna get murked
Old 12-26-2009, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by weaver
GLad it worked out. Sorry i didn't type out as great of a description, but it worked out!
Turns out that it was my HDMI cable actually... I switched them and then reset everything, but I was doubting it was the HDMI cable since cables hardly every just fail, but sure enough, mine did. In case you're wondering, it was a Dynex 6' cable that I got from Best Buy... They normally go for $30 each but I got it for $15 when it was on sale... I had another higher end cable that I switched to and is why Im able to use the HDMI feature now, not because I reset it. (I switched back to the old cable to see if it was the cable even though I had high doubts that it was, and when I did the PS3 didn't work via HDMI, as soon as I switched to the higher end cable everything worked again).

It's really weird since the cable was only a month old, never had anything bad happen to it, nor was it damaged in any way... I've never had a cable go out on me like this, usually when a cable fails it's because it's been damaged in some way, but this one was flawless in terms of it's condition. I've used a lot of cables and have A LOT of experience with PC hardware from college and professional experience... I used to build custom PC's for the techs at Adobe as my first job so I've seen just about everything in terms of mechanical failures in PC hardware, and that includes cables. This is the first time a cable has ever failed me out of the blue without being damaged physically. Who knows why it crapped out like this *shrugs*

I'm going to return the cable since I still have the receipt and box... They said I could return anything for a full refund till the end of January when I bought all my stuff (I got that 46" LCD TV + PS3 + Game + Blu ray movie for $941 deal). Usually they only take things back after 14 days, but since it was Xmas they extended their returns until the end of Jan.

Keep all this info in mind if your PS3 craps out like mine did (well, what I thought was my PS3 crapping out).

(PS: Cheap cable was made in China, high end cable made in Japan)

Last edited by brucelee; 12-26-2009 at 09:15 PM.
Old 12-26-2009, 10:33 PM

Car Info: '97 Grandpa Gold Jetta
Ive seen a few things on expensive cables compared to cheap cables and they're pretty much the same. I've been using a couple HDMI cables from eBay for the past couple years and spent about $20 total on 3 and they're still going strong. Like its been said, sometimes things crap out on you.

Glad you were able to get your PS3 running in HD again brucelee! I know what the difference is from SD to somewhat HD to full HD, and full HD is the best way to go.

Quick Reply: Problems with my PS3, can anyone help me out?