Placebo of Pushing Buttons

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 10:54 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Subaru WRX w/ JDM Spec C
Placebo of Pushing Buttons

For Exercise in New York Futility, Push Button - NYTimes.com

For years, at thousands of New York City intersections, well-worn push buttons have offered harried walkers a rare promise of control over their pedestrian lives. The signs mounted above explained their purpose:

To Cross Street

Push Button

Wait for Walk Signal

Dept. of Transportation

Millions of dutiful city residents and tourists have pushed them over the years, thinking it would help speed them in their journeys. Many trusting souls might have believed they actually worked. Others, more cynical, might have suspected they were broken but pushed anyway, out of habit, or in the off chance they might bring a walk sign more quickly.
Why Do People Push Placebo Buttons?

Placebo Buttons « You Are Not So Smart
Old 11-08-2011, 11:08 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
THE HISTORY ERASER BUTTON REMIX - YouTube
Old 11-08-2011, 12:13 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02 WRB WRX Wagon
They don't work? Funny that one night in high school we were at a red light trying to get it to change from red for quite a while till my friend got out and pushed the button. Light changed almost immediately.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:27 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Originally Posted by bluwrxwgn
They don't work? Funny that one night in high school we were at a red light trying to get it to change from red for quite a while till my friend got out and pushed the button. Light changed almost immediately.
Yeah, happens to my motorcycle friends, they sensors wont pick up their bikes at red lights so they get off and push the button.

Tho in the article I think they mean that pushing the button more than once doesn't do anything.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:27 PM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
Originally Posted by bluwrxwgn
I've done this more than a few times.

Also hit them to make the green light last longer, like for our caravan going to BAM
Old 11-08-2011, 12:34 PM

Car Info: subaru legacy, 01 4eat
I like those up above can relate to the motorcycle issue. Even with a gross weight of about 560lbs and around 780 with me clothed it still doesn't trip the sensor. However, soon as I jump off and hit the button it changes -_-.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:38 PM

Car Info: 05 wrx wagon, 90 celica alltrac, 66 mustang
Old 11-08-2011, 01:23 PM

Car Info: '11 White Shelby Cobra GT 500
As the the site says "most" and its more so in NYC crosswalk lights. Last time I pressed a push to walk was in Oregon and they as well worked there. I can see them not replacing them in NYC lol that's a lot of people walking there and so I'm sure people over push the buttons and they break lol
Old 11-08-2011, 01:43 PM
i-Club Sympathizer

Car Info: 1969 BMW R75/5 & Work Whip
Originally Posted by Hoofus
I like those up above can relate to the motorcycle issue. Even with a gross weight of about 560lbs and around 780 with me clothed it still doesn't trip the sensor. However, soon as I jump off and hit the button it changes -_-.
In most cases it has nothing to do with weight, but the fact that your bike has too little metal to trip the electrical sensor. You see those loops cut into the street at lights? They generate a magnetic field that is disrupted when a car comes along. That lets the system know what is happening. A lot of motorcycles just don't have the necessary amount of metal to interfere with the field, hence the light won't change. I've head of all kinds of tricks ranging from placing a magnet at the bottom of your bike to tapping the started motor. Do they work? Who knows. Maybe.

Plenty of lights back home that eventually had to be run if nobody else came along.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Unit 91
In most cases it has nothing to do with weight, but the fact that your bike has too little metal to trip the electrical sensor. You see those loops cut into the street at lights? They generate a magnetic field that is disrupted when a car comes along. That lets the system know what is happening. A lot of motorcycles just don't have the necessary amount of metal to interfere with the field, hence the light won't change. I've head of all kinds of tricks ranging from placing a magnet at the bottom of your bike to tapping the started motor. Do they work? Who knows. Maybe.

Plenty of lights back home that eventually had to be run if nobody else came along.
w3rd, my friend is has been talking about inventing a mini electro magnet that will trip ANY sensor. I keep telling him to make sure he doesn't make it too strong, I can just picture him flipping the magnet and watch his bike go airborne and get stuck to a street lamp, lol
Old 11-08-2011, 04:50 PM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
I figured out crosswalk buttons didn't do anything when I was 12.

I figured it was common knowledge.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Superglue WRX
I figured out crosswalk buttons didn't do anything when I was 12.

I figured it was common knowledge.
You grew up in New York City? cuz those are the ones that don't work, ours do.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:33 PM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
Originally Posted by brucelee
You grew up in New York City? cuz those are the ones that don't work, ours do.
Did not read.

I thought it would mention the repeated pressing of the button doing jack squat.

*slowly steps backwards whistling*
Old 11-08-2011, 05:56 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Yeah, where there is a lot of foot traffic it is a waste of time to hook up the buttons because you're almost guaranteed that there is a pedestrian waiting to cross at each corner of the cycle, hence wiring the button and programming a second timing sequence is redundant. Places with less foot traffic have to have them initiate a secondary timing sequence, otherwise timing favors the faster moving cars.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:47 PM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
In downtown Sac (especially around the capitol) they dont even have buttons for the cross walk. The walk/yield are automatic with the red/green lights.