Go Back  i-Club > Regional Forums > Bay Area
The Official Bay Area Beer Thread >

The Official Bay Area Beer Thread

Notices

The Official Bay Area Beer Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 03:18 PM
  #241  
VIP Member
iTrader: (17)
 
VRT MBasile's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 22,776
Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Originally Posted by Shagon Wagon View Post
^ try the Correction Ale... Lagunitas Correction Ale..its their new seasonal just came out... YUMMY !
What kind of ale is it? The store I frequent doesn't carry much of that brand... I'm going to have to start poking around in the small liquor stores.
VRT MBasile is offline  
Old 05-02-2009, 03:19 PM
  #242  
VIP Member
iTrader: (17)
 
VRT MBasile's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 22,776
Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Originally Posted by SolSurferX View Post
I think we should make a trip up there Matt, looks like a blast...Anywho, bought a sixer of this...It's interesting, its really hoppy, but fairly sweet at the same time. Not sure I like it yet.
we'll have to look into that
VRT MBasile is offline  
Old 05-03-2009, 06:15 PM
  #243  
VIP Member
iTrader: (17)
 
VRT MBasile's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 22,776
Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Anderson Valley Brewing IPA from Trader Joe's. Not too shabby, worth a try if you like IPA's.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/193/611

Last edited by VRT MBasile; 05-03-2009 at 06:20 PM.
VRT MBasile is offline  
Old 05-03-2009, 06:44 PM
  #244  
Registered User
iTrader: (2)
 
SolSurferX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 1,962
Car Info: 2008 specB
I felt like I needed a sweater-vest to read those reviews....After translation, it sounds like it should be a pretty tasty beer.
SolSurferX is offline  
Old 05-03-2009, 07:09 PM
  #245  
VIP Member
iTrader: (17)
 
VRT MBasile's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 22,776
Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Originally Posted by SolSurferX View Post
I felt like I needed a sweater-vest to read those reviews....After translation, it sounds like it should be a pretty tasty beer.
Haha, good way of putting it. Some of those reviews are rather technical
VRT MBasile is offline  
Old 05-03-2009, 11:35 PM
  #246  
Registered User
 
mattej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Napa
Posts: 204
Car Info: 99RS-T
I'm def a Lagunitas fan and an IPA fan in general. Lag's Undercover is great with it's strong hoppy flavor (lay's the smack down) I just picked up a 6'er of their New Dog Town Ale and YuMMMMMM
mattej is offline  
Old 05-03-2009, 11:41 PM
  #247  
VIP Member
iTrader: (17)
 
VRT MBasile's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 22,776
Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
At the store the other day I saw the Lagunitas Correction Ale (I think) and the Hop Stoopid.... I'm going to have to give both a try soon
VRT MBasile is offline  
Old 05-03-2009, 11:45 PM
  #248  
Registered User
 
mattej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Napa
Posts: 204
Car Info: 99RS-T
I think I've had the Correction Ale but havn't had the Hop Stoopid. (mental checklist) Must get Hop Stoopid x 6
mattej is offline  
Old 05-03-2009, 11:50 PM
  #249  
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
AntiochCali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Leg Humper
Posts: 2,504
Car Info: '03 WRX wagon, faster than walkin'
Originally Posted by VRT MBasile View Post
I thought we had a pretty good amount of breweries. I buddy of mine and I want to do a road trip and visit a bunch of California breweries...... might be a long trip
I think I've tried to do that a couple of times...but for some reason, I can't remember...
AntiochCali is offline  
Old 05-04-2009, 08:17 AM
  #250  
VIP Member
iTrader: (7)
 
wombatsauce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 7,422
Car Info: FatBike in the snow.
Originally Posted by VRT MBasile View Post
Haha, good way of putting it. Some of those reviews are rather technical
Hahaha... When I hear someone say "Medium mouthfeel with a slight chewiness" it makes me want to projectile vomit on their cardigan.

I will have to try that IPA, though I wish I could buy just one bottle. I have tried I think 3 other Anderson beers - the Boont ones right? One of the only breweries where I consistently do not like the beer. I had one of their ESBs a while back and actually didn't finish it because it was so bad. Skunked to hell, and tasted like nasty yeasty failed homebrew. Maybe I keep hitting bad batches? Fookin batches.
wombatsauce is offline  
Old 05-04-2009, 08:34 PM
  #251  
VIP Member
iTrader: (17)
 
VRT MBasile's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 22,776
Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Half and Half variations for anyone that is interested

All Irish Black & Tan, aka, Blacksmith, aka, Irish Nectar, aka, Pint of Special: Guinness Stout and Smithwick's Irish Ale
Back in Black: Half Guinness and half Sid Richardson College lager. The name is a reference to the AC/DC song of the same name which serves as the official anthem to the 8th of the 11 Rice University colleges.
Black Hearted Lady : Guinness and Bell's Two-Hearted Ale
Black & Bushy :Half Guinness and half New Glaurs Fat Squirrel Nut Brown Ale
Black Cherry: Guinness and Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat
Black & Gold, aka, Black Apple: Half Guinness Stout and half hard cider (e.g., Westons or Woodchuck). Sometimes incorrectly referred to as a snakebite, which is actually a mixture of half lager and half cider. When made specifically with Woodchuck Cider it is also called a Stout Woody
Black & Gold: Half Guinness and Half Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold
Black & Red: Half Guinness and half Red Stripe
Black & Red, aka, Red Velvet: Half chocolate stout over half raspberry or cherry lambic
Black & Sam, aka, Patriot Pint, aka, Boston Half & Half: Guinness and Samuel Adams Boston Lager
Black & Black : A blend of Guinness Extra Stout and Guinness Draught
Black Belt : Half Guiness and Half Grain Belt
Black & Blue: Stout with Blue Moon Belgian White, or stout and blueberry ale, Guinness and Pabst Blue Ribbon, Guinness and Labatt Blue. Typically, this refers to any variation of stout coupled with blueberry-flavored ales or brands with the name "Blue" in them.
Black & Orange: Stout and pumpkin ale: Also known as a "Black & Blumpkin", a "Black-O-Blumpkin", or a "Blackhead" or "Sleepy Hollow" (Guinness and Shipyard Pumpkinhead of Portland, Maine. The Gilded Otter Brewpub in New Paltz, New York calls this mixture a Stumpkin. *Black & White: Stout with any light colored beer.
Black Bastard, aka, Arrogant Black: Guinness and Arrogant Bastard Ale, an American strong ale from Stone Brewing Company of San Marcos, California.
Black Castle: Half Guinness and half Newcastle Brown Ale.
Black Christmas, aka, Kwanzaa: Guinness draught over Christmas Ale.
Black Cow: Half Guinness and half New Glarus Spotted Cow
Black Dead Guy: Half Guinness and Half Rogue Dead Guy Ale
Black Eye: Half Guinness and Half Black Eye Ale
Black Girl: Half Guinness and St. Pauli Girl
Black Hoe: Half Guinness and half Hoegaarden.
Black Honey: Half Guinness and Half Honey Brown
Black Honky: Half Guinness and Half Goose Island Honker's Ale
Black Light: Half Guinness and Half Samuel Adams Light (or other light beer) #9
Black Magic: Half Guinness and Half Magic Hat #9
Black & Blood, aka, Guinness and Black: Guinness & Ribena (Black Current)
Black Negra: Half Guinness, Half Negra Modelo
Black on Blonde, aka, Blonde Redhead' : A mixture of (slightly more than) half Guinness and (slightly less than) half Stella Artois (The plural form would be Blacks on Blonde.)
Black & Ornery: Half Guinness and Half Furious (by Surly Brewing Company, Brooklyn Center, MN)
Black Rock : Half Guinness and Half Rolling Rock
Black Sap: Half Guinness and Sapporo
Black Scotch Ale: Half Guinness and Half Sam Adam's Scotch Ale
Black Summer: Half Guinness and Half Sam Adam's Summer Ale
Black Tire: Half Guinness and half New Belgium Fat Tire
Blacks on Blondes: Half Young's Double Chocolate Stout and half Pete's Wicked Strawberry Blonde
Chocolate-Covered Banana Bread: Half Guinness, Half Wells Banana Bread Beer
Dark & Steamy : Half Anchor Steam Beer and half Guinness
Dirty Busch (Traditional): Half stout Guinness half Busch Light Mixed Seasonally.
Dirty Hippie: Half Guinness and Half Sweetwater 420
Eclipse, aka, Black Moon, aka, Dark Side of the Moon: Half Guinness and Half Blue Moon
Garnet and Black: Guinness and Killian's Irish Red. This is a regional variation in South Carolina, named after the school colors of the University of South Carolina.
Gas and Oil: Guinness over Red Hook Blonde Ale.
The Greatness: Half Guinness and Half Great White. (Great White is from Lost Coast Brewery in Eureka, Ca.)
Green Goblin : Half Heineken and half Hobgoblin
Guinn-ling: Half Guinness and Half Yeungling
Bling-ling: Half Guinness and Half Yeungling
Black lord: Half Guinness and Half Lord Chesterfield Ale
Imperial Black & Tan: Half Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale and half Brooklyn Brewery Black Chocolate Stout
Innis & Guinness: Half Innis & Gunn and half Guinness
Irish Anarchist: Any Irish stout atop any Irish red ale. The name is a reference to the anarchist-syndicalist flag, which is black and red.
Irish American: Half Guinness and half Budweiser.
Irish Canadian: Half Guinness and half Molson Canadian
Irishman in Texas: Half Guinness and half Shiner Bock
October Night: Half Guinness and half Sam Adams Octoberfest
Old Dirty Englishman: Half Guinness and half Tetley's
Philadelphia Black & Tan: Half Guinness Stout and half Yuengling Lager
Chicago Black & Tan aka Black Wind : Half Guinness Stout and half Goose Island 312 Urban Wheat Ale
Black & Red: Half Guinness Stout and half Killian's Irish Red.
Pint of Special, aka, 99: Similar to the all Irish Black and Tan served mostly in the west of Ireland. Made with more than 75% Smithwick's topped up with a Guinness head
Raging Inferno: Half Guinness, Half Firehouse American Pale Ale
Red Velvet: Half Guinness, Half Raspberry Cider Jack
San Patricios: Half Guinness and half any Mexican beer (Corona, Pacifico, Dos Equis, Negro Modelo)
Smoothie: Half any hard draft cider and half Guinness
Black-Head: Half Guinness and Half MooseHead Lager
Black Christmas: Half Guinness and Half Sam Adams Winter Ale
Smokin' Indian: Half smoked porter and half American IPA
Jack o Lantern: aka "Bruised Pumpkin" Half Guinness, Half Cottonwood Pumpkin Ale[1]
Jesus Shuttleworth: Guinness and any Abbey Ale, in honor of Ray Allen
The Black Shiner:Guiness and Shiner Lager
Moon Beam:Beamish Stout and Blue Moon
Blackricot: Guiness and Pyramid Apricot Wheat
Black Torpedo: Guiness and Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra Pale Ale
Blacker Pshorr: Guiness and Hacker Pshorr Hefeweizen
Black Bully: Guiness and Boulevard Unfiltered Wheat
Slum and Tan: Half Olde English 800 and half stout.
THE NOOGIE: Half Guiness Extra Stout (unchilled) and half Pabst Blue Ribbon
""Black Diamond". Guiness and Tuckermans Ale.
VRT MBasile is offline  
Old 05-04-2009, 09:24 PM
  #252  
Registered User
iTrader: (2)
 
SolSurferX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 1,962
Car Info: 2008 specB
Originally Posted by mattej View Post
I'm def a Lagunitas fan and an IPA fan in general. Lag's Undercover is great with it's strong hoppy flavor (lay's the smack down) I just picked up a 6'er of their New Dog Town Ale and YuMMMMMM
I found I'm not a fan of the Undercover, hoppiness is good, but its too sweet for my taste. I managed 3 and all it did was fill me up with no buzz, even though its 9% (!). Lag did redeem themselves though with their IPA, that was quite tasty and I had a hell of a buzz after a 22 lol.
SolSurferX is offline  
Old 05-05-2009, 07:11 AM
  #253  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Palo Alto,CA
Posts: 230
Car Info: 2004 STi,sold.
Originally Posted by VRT MBasile View Post
Half and Half variations for anyone that is interested

All Irish Black & Tan, aka, Blacksmith, aka, Irish Nectar, aka, Pint of Special: Guinness Stout and Smithwick's Irish Ale
Back in Black: Half Guinness and half Sid Richardson College lager. The name is a reference to the AC/DC song of the same name which serves as the official anthem to the 8th of the 11 Rice University colleges.
Black Hearted Lady : Guinness and Bell's Two-Hearted Ale
Black & Bushy :Half Guinness and half New Glaurs Fat Squirrel Nut Brown Ale
Black Cherry: Guinness and Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat
Black & Gold, aka, Black Apple: Half Guinness Stout and half hard cider (e.g., Westons or Woodchuck). Sometimes incorrectly referred to as a snakebite, which is actually a mixture of half lager and half cider. When made specifically with Woodchuck Cider it is also called a Stout Woody
Black & Gold: Half Guinness and Half Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold
Black & Red: Half Guinness and half Red Stripe
Black & Red, aka, Red Velvet: Half chocolate stout over half raspberry or cherry lambic
Black & Sam, aka, Patriot Pint, aka, Boston Half & Half: Guinness and Samuel Adams Boston Lager
Black & Black : A blend of Guinness Extra Stout and Guinness Draught
Black Belt : Half Guiness and Half Grain Belt
Black & Blue: Stout with Blue Moon Belgian White, or stout and blueberry ale, Guinness and Pabst Blue Ribbon, Guinness and Labatt Blue. Typically, this refers to any variation of stout coupled with blueberry-flavored ales or brands with the name "Blue" in them.
Black & Orange: Stout and pumpkin ale: Also known as a "Black & Blumpkin", a "Black-O-Blumpkin", or a "Blackhead" or "Sleepy Hollow" (Guinness and Shipyard Pumpkinhead of Portland, Maine. The Gilded Otter Brewpub in New Paltz, New York calls this mixture a Stumpkin. *Black & White: Stout with any light colored beer.
Black Bastard, aka, Arrogant Black: Guinness and Arrogant Bastard Ale, an American strong ale from Stone Brewing Company of San Marcos, California.
Black Castle: Half Guinness and half Newcastle Brown Ale.
Black Christmas, aka, Kwanzaa: Guinness draught over Christmas Ale.
Black Cow: Half Guinness and half New Glarus Spotted Cow
Black Dead Guy: Half Guinness and Half Rogue Dead Guy Ale
Black Eye: Half Guinness and Half Black Eye Ale
Black Girl: Half Guinness and St. Pauli Girl
Black Hoe: Half Guinness and half Hoegaarden.
Black Honey: Half Guinness and Half Honey Brown
Black Honky: Half Guinness and Half Goose Island Honker's Ale
Black Light: Half Guinness and Half Samuel Adams Light (or other light beer) #9
Black Magic: Half Guinness and Half Magic Hat #9
Black & Blood, aka, Guinness and Black: Guinness & Ribena (Black Current)
Black Negra: Half Guinness, Half Negra Modelo
Black on Blonde, aka, Blonde Redhead' : A mixture of (slightly more than) half Guinness and (slightly less than) half Stella Artois (The plural form would be Blacks on Blonde.)
Black & Ornery: Half Guinness and Half Furious (by Surly Brewing Company, Brooklyn Center, MN)
Black Rock : Half Guinness and Half Rolling Rock
Black Sap: Half Guinness and Sapporo
Black Scotch Ale: Half Guinness and Half Sam Adam's Scotch Ale
Black Summer: Half Guinness and Half Sam Adam's Summer Ale
Black Tire: Half Guinness and half New Belgium Fat Tire
Blacks on Blondes: Half Young's Double Chocolate Stout and half Pete's Wicked Strawberry Blonde
Chocolate-Covered Banana Bread: Half Guinness, Half Wells Banana Bread Beer
Dark & Steamy : Half Anchor Steam Beer and half Guinness
Dirty Busch (Traditional): Half stout Guinness half Busch Light Mixed Seasonally.
Dirty Hippie: Half Guinness and Half Sweetwater 420
Eclipse, aka, Black Moon, aka, Dark Side of the Moon: Half Guinness and Half Blue Moon
Garnet and Black: Guinness and Killian's Irish Red. This is a regional variation in South Carolina, named after the school colors of the University of South Carolina.
Gas and Oil: Guinness over Red Hook Blonde Ale.
The Greatness: Half Guinness and Half Great White. (Great White is from Lost Coast Brewery in Eureka, Ca.)
Green Goblin : Half Heineken and half Hobgoblin
Guinn-ling: Half Guinness and Half Yeungling
Bling-ling: Half Guinness and Half Yeungling
Black lord: Half Guinness and Half Lord Chesterfield Ale
Imperial Black & Tan: Half Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale and half Brooklyn Brewery Black Chocolate Stout
Innis & Guinness: Half Innis & Gunn and half Guinness
Irish Anarchist: Any Irish stout atop any Irish red ale. The name is a reference to the anarchist-syndicalist flag, which is black and red.
Irish American: Half Guinness and half Budweiser.
Irish Canadian: Half Guinness and half Molson Canadian
Irishman in Texas: Half Guinness and half Shiner Bock
October Night: Half Guinness and half Sam Adams Octoberfest
Old Dirty Englishman: Half Guinness and half Tetley's
Philadelphia Black & Tan: Half Guinness Stout and half Yuengling Lager
Chicago Black & Tan aka Black Wind : Half Guinness Stout and half Goose Island 312 Urban Wheat Ale
Black & Red: Half Guinness Stout and half Killian's Irish Red.
Pint of Special, aka, 99: Similar to the all Irish Black and Tan served mostly in the west of Ireland. Made with more than 75% Smithwick's topped up with a Guinness head
Raging Inferno: Half Guinness, Half Firehouse American Pale Ale
Red Velvet: Half Guinness, Half Raspberry Cider Jack
San Patricios: Half Guinness and half any Mexican beer (Corona, Pacifico, Dos Equis, Negro Modelo)
Smoothie: Half any hard draft cider and half Guinness
Black-Head: Half Guinness and Half MooseHead Lager
Black Christmas: Half Guinness and Half Sam Adams Winter Ale
Smokin' Indian: Half smoked porter and half American IPA
Jack o Lantern: aka "Bruised Pumpkin" Half Guinness, Half Cottonwood Pumpkin Ale[1]
Jesus Shuttleworth: Guinness and any Abbey Ale, in honor of Ray Allen
The Black Shiner:Guiness and Shiner Lager
Moon Beam:Beamish Stout and Blue Moon
Blackricot: Guiness and Pyramid Apricot Wheat
Black Torpedo: Guiness and Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra Pale Ale
Blacker Pshorr: Guiness and Hacker Pshorr Hefeweizen
Black Bully: Guiness and Boulevard Unfiltered Wheat
Slum and Tan: Half Olde English 800 and half stout.
THE NOOGIE: Half Guiness Extra Stout (unchilled) and half Pabst Blue Ribbon
""Black Diamond". Guiness and Tuckermans Ale.
Adulterating Guinness Extra Stout with anything is an abomination.
walt is offline  
Old 05-05-2009, 10:04 AM
  #254  
VIP Member
iTrader: (17)
 
VRT MBasile's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 22,776
Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Originally Posted by walt View Post
Adulterating Guinness Extra Stout with anything is an abomination.
Especially PBR
VRT MBasile is offline  
Old 05-07-2009, 08:09 PM
  #255  
VIP Member
iTrader: (17)
 
VRT MBasile's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 22,776
Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Today, at lunch I had...
























Name:  guinness250.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  37.8 KB
VRT MBasile is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Official Bay Area Beer Thread


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.