The Official: All Things Phone Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 02:32 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2013 Toyota Prius Plug In 2011 Toyota Prius
Originally Posted by stupidchicken03
My Chromecast came in

less than $38 shipped from Best Buy (and still put it on my BB card )

Checked the tracking last night and it said estimated delivery date was Tues... it came today

****ty web cam pic, too lazy to snap a shot with my phone and send it lol
awesome

I've been using mine a lot for netflix. Sucky thing is I use hola ext on chrome for netflix so I can watch other region content like Canada and UK. Chromecast won't load content that is outside of the region.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:32 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX Sedan
My Chromecast came in

less than $38 shipped from Best Buy (and still put it on my BB card )

Checked the tracking last night and it said estimated delivery date was Tues... it came today

****ty web cam pic, too lazy to snap a shot with my phone and send it lol
fk youuuuu, i've been waiting for amazon to ship mine since it came out -_-

Originally Posted by LifePlaza
awesome

I've been using mine a lot for netflix. Sucky thing is I use hola ext on chrome for netflix so I can watch other region content like Canada and UK. Chromecast won't load content that is outside of the region.
buy a 4TB drive and host a DLNA server on your computer, download everythingggggggg, and you can set up bit torrent to automatically download new episodes and stuff. makes your home entertainment system so much more... sexyyyyy.

I'm using my tablet with Unified Remote to control just about everything, sit down on the couch, hit a button and my TV turns on, and i can select a file to play via the big screen

Last edited by w0ng3r; 08-30-2013 at 02:35 PM.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:35 PM
VIP Member

d00d when did you guys order?

I've been fapping a month ago

I got my chromecast. So far so good. Its not exactly a replacement yet for my roku or appletv but its a step in the right direction

First thing was first find a way to stream my local content. I know there is a way simpler way but I loaded my plex library and hit play then hit cast on the chrome extension

Youtube native app looks glorious on tv with surround sound

Fapping will be better now since I no longer have to see my reflection from being 2 feet away from the computer screen or tablet.

Old 08-30-2013, 02:39 PM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
d00d when did you guys order?

I've been fapping a month ago
ya i remember that post lol

Pretty much after you posted, and had a friend come over and tell me more about it.. got me more excited.

Amazon is SOLD OUT. All Best Buys within 50 miles of me have been SOLD OUT.

Ive been checking Amazon for about two weeks now.

Best Buy finally let me order it online and there was no back order I ordered on Tues I think, and it came today
Old 08-30-2013, 02:44 PM
VIP Member

ya i remember that post lol

Pretty much after you posted, and had a friend come over and tell me more about it.. got me more excited.

Amazon is SOLD OUT. All Best Buys within 50 miles of me have been SOLD OUT.

Ive been checking Amazon for about two weeks now.

Best Buy finally let me order it online and there was no back order I ordered on Tues I think, and it came today
w00t congrats man! In the beginning I was so full of excitement. Then I realized how limiting chromecast is. Then I started to think of other ways for it to work.

As a $35 dollar purchase, its priced right. Friends come over for poker, they play their music through google play. We shoot the **** watching funny youtube videos that we que up.

For what it is, its a fantastic HDMI cable. I know people will ***** and say, you can do that with a PS3 or Xbox. Well my wife won't want to touch it and my PS3 is in my man cave, not my living room (I'm not like my friends who say CC is waste, I live on my own with my wife, not with my parents in a room).

Its been almost a month and I ended up cutting cable tv because srsly I either stream or DL all my content. Chromecast just makes everything easier for other people involved who are not tech savy imo
Old 08-30-2013, 02:49 PM
Moist IT Outsourcing Services

Car Info: Mahindra Tractor
I know rupees went to CM but not sure what version.
cm 10.1.2 for gs3 on vzw works like a charm no real issues at this time.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:51 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by w0ng3r

buy a 4TB drive and host a DLNA server on your computer, download everythingggggggg, and you can set up bit torrent to automatically download new episodes and stuff. makes your home entertainment system so much more... sexyyyyy.

I'm using my tablet with Unified Remote to control just about everything, sit down on the couch, hit a button and my TV turns on, and i can select a file to play via the big screen
Yea i've been using Plex and the cast tab from the PC to shoot it onto chromecast. Been following the google+ group for plex. We should be seeing support around November. That way I can bypass using the cast tab feature from my PC/Server.

https://plus.google.com/+DerekRoss/posts/hkqjcBFpwV6

Last edited by LifePlaza; 08-30-2013 at 02:56 PM.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:53 PM
VIP Member

oh yea I bought a back up nexus 4 since its only 200 bucks

https://play.google.com/store/device...id=nexus_4_8gb

awesome phone
Old 08-30-2013, 02:55 PM

oh yea I bought a back up nexus 4 since its only 200 bucks

https://play.google.com/store/device...id=nexus_4_8gb

awesome phone
Nexus 5 incoming, hence the price drop I believe, but yeah, thats a good choice! Still loving mine! I have a spare case for it if you want one. $free.99.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:57 PM
Churro Aficionado

w00t congrats man! In the beginning I was so full of excitement. Then I realized how limiting chromecast is. Then I started to think of other ways for it to work.

As a $35 dollar purchase, its priced right. Friends come over for poker, they play their music through google play. We shoot the **** watching funny youtube videos that we que up.

For what it is, its a fantastic HDMI cable. I know people will ***** and say, you can do that with a PS3 or Xbox. Well my wife won't want to touch it and my PS3 is in my man cave, not my living room (I'm not like my friends who say CC is waste, I live on my own with my wife, not with my parents in a room).

Its been almost a month and I ended up cutting cable tv because srsly I either stream or DL all my content. Chromecast just makes everything easier for other people involved who are not tech savy imo
What niffty tricks have you done with it?

Netflix isnt a big deal to me since we have a blueray player in our bedroom with the NF app and our front room Tv is a smart tv with the ap too.

I can stream youtube from my phone to the smart tv without chromecast already too.

I was thinking of hooking it up with my media PC in the front room. Right now ive got a 2TB HD with tons of movies/tv shows on that computer. It plays thru HDMI to the living room tv. So I figured i could just use chromecast to stream it into the bedroom. But the stream seems to be a big laggy. Any issues with lag?
Old 08-30-2013, 03:00 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by w0ng3r
Nexus 5 incoming, hence the price drop I believe, but yeah, thats a good choice! Still loving mine! I have a spare case for it if you want one. $free.99.
yea I didn't even mention it to Sigma Pi since he is a "I'm only a new tech kind of ****"

at 200 bucks its a great deal. Sure newer phones are coming out but at the rate android has been evolving, I don't see too many drastic changes happening in the near future. Android is pretty solid in the state they are in right now and if the N4 gets left behind, root it.

I'm on the Tmob 30 a month prepaid plan btw so the off contract phones fit my needs. I no needs verizon 4glte even though I get 12mbps with HSPA.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:05 PM

yea I didn't even mention it to Sigma Pi since he is a "I'm only a new tech kind of ****"

at 200 bucks its a great deal. Sure newer phones are coming out but at the rate android has been evolving, I don't see too many drastic changes happening in the near future. Android is pretty solid in the state they are in right now and if the N4 gets left behind, root it.

I'm on the Tmob 30 a month prepaid plan btw so the off contract phones fit my needs. I no needs verizon 4glte even though I get 12mbps with HSPA.
HEH! I'm using the same plan too, and I used to be on Veirizon's LTE network. Switching to tmo was kind of a pain in the a$$, the $30 plan made it hard to find a nano sim , the stores wouldnt give me one because they weren't authorized to. it was either order online or get it from a walmart

as for rooting, just download the tool kit, after you install it, its like 6 clicks to root and unlock. I did it just to uninstall some of the unwanted google apps they bloat it with ><

and the next time sigma gives you **** for not having the latest, tell him to **** off and buy a faster computer, cuz his rig is SLOW when W0NG3R is around.

jk <3

Last edited by w0ng3r; 08-30-2013 at 03:08 PM.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:05 PM
Churro Aficionado

Ive gotten 50mbps on vz lte
Old 08-30-2013, 03:08 PM
VIP Member

What niffty tricks have you done with it?

Netflix isnt a big deal to me since we have a blueray player in our bedroom with the NF app and our front room Tv is a smart tv with the ap too.

I can stream youtube from my phone to the smart tv without chromecast already too.

I was thinking of hooking it up with my media PC in the front room. Right now ive got a 2TB HD with tons of movies/tv shows on that computer. It plays thru HDMI to the living room tv. So I figured i could just use chromecast to stream it into the bedroom. But the stream seems to be a big laggy. Any issues with lag?
1. Netflix and youtube look awesome through chromecast. I recommend trying it and be amazed at their streaming 1080p. Plently of people say consoles stream best, my opinion chromecast wins.

2. Yes you can use your PC to cast the tab. If you get a desktop remote app for your phone, then you can be super lazy. I myself haven't done it yet for my PC but my friends have. Keep in mind that chromecast cast tab is in beta still. I think their maximum output is 720p? Depending on how powerful your pc is will determine the lag. On my **** i3 laptop from work, it has no problems. If you watch the PC next to the chromecast display there is a lag but its mainly because its being streamed. I'm using Plex btw
Old 08-30-2013, 03:13 PM
Churro Aficionado

When I was playing with it earlier today I was on my laptop. Only a few years old but specs are more than what should be needed.

The stream to my tv was laggy. Choppy and not smooth (not talking about image quality, not a huge 1080p snob or anything, but it was like jumping frames to try and keep up). I think thats mostly related to our internet tho.

Ive never had an issue streaming from my phone to smart tv, but it might just be an issue with service right now?

Quick Reply: The Official: All Things Phone Thread