New turbo engines from Subaru

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 02:28 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
Originally Posted by PikkaGTR
I would assume the new 2.0l engine will be lighter and they might make the new STi an overall lighter package based on the new Impreza.
It's a better design idea IMHO because a 3 things:
1) Better power to weight means you burn less fuel and can get away with a smaller displacement engine.
2) It might rev better and be MORE fun to drive ( JDM EJ20 8k redline )
3) More reliable since it will not be pushed to make more and more power to offset an increasingly portly vehicle.

I say Kudos SOA, you got this one right.
hence why you have a 4b11?
Old 09-23-2011, 03:08 PM

Car Info: Some sort of Subaru
Originally Posted by Heedz
hence why you have a 4b11?
The 4b11t is a good motor.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:14 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
^exactly, subaru should get close to that.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by STiWRX06
New engine + same power = why would you trade in for it then, it ain't gonna be any faster. They need to get with the times cuz every performance sporty car has gotten some power boost one way or another with every new model. Well see what happens...

Agreed. Look at what's happened to Honda. Kept their "performance" cars the same for like a decade and now every other performance car near their price range has like 250+ hp now.

For my next car, I'd like to "upgrade" to an STi hatchback, but if they're just going to keep the power the same, I'm going to look somewhere else.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:50 PM

Car Info: 2016 FXT
Originally Posted by brucelee
What do you drive one?
Originally Posted by johndabrit
Think you may be on the wrong site there buddy..
I believe DC5 is an RSX, that's why.
I have an 07 STi. I haven't driven it in 3 years. I was one of the super lucky ones who had the ringlands go out like all the other 07s! Then I was lucky enough to get ****ed over by SEVERAL machine shops and only recently got my car back from Ed.

Having pulled my motor myself over 4 times, and pulling dozens at the Subaru Performance shop I worked for I can safely say that I hate the way they designed the cluster**** that is that engine bay.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:29 PM

Car Info: "Shadow"
The new WRX/STi supposedly coming out in 2014 is a totally brand new vehicle, it will be on it's own, not based on the new 2012 Impreza at all. They are trying to separate the two model lines in the near future. Only the 2012-13 ones will be the same like right now, since Subaru plans on returning to the WRC at the same time. Therefore, it should be significantly shorter, lighter, wider, & much more sporty as they have already stated. I imagine a small, lighter, widebodied, 2 dr hatchback (exactly like the ones currently racing in WRC today) with an at least 300hp/tq 1.6L turbocharged engine. Why would Subaru go through all this trouble to produce a tiny 1.6L motor all of a sudden when the smallest engine they have now is 2.0, simple cuz that's the regulated engine size now in the WRC, ain't no freaking coincidence. I see the new upcoming BRZ RWD sport car getting the NA 2.0, & maybe a turbo model down the line, but the WRX will be the 1.6L detuned cheaper version of the WRC clone STi. If all goes well, my dream of finally getting a proper turbo hatchback from them might come true then, totally WRC style! They even mentioned they might go the twincharged route (just like VW), a super/turbo charged hybrid setup, now that would be hella badass!
Old 09-23-2011, 05:32 PM

Car Info: 07lmtd 6spd wrx eq tuned
alot of American cars have either a hemi (even a jeep) or some sort of super power engine (mustang v6 @ 300 hp) why cant subaru make an *** whooping turbo 4 banger that has some more power wtf!

i mean the sti has alot of power, but its time for bump, not a slump.....
matt is right
Old 09-23-2011, 08:11 PM

Car Info: 2015 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
we will see if this one blows like the rest
Old 09-23-2011, 08:18 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
On the note of the WRC... The 1.6l regulation is silly. The whole sport is getting more and more boring to watch and is losing fans quickly because of it. Bring back the group b monsters!
Old 09-23-2011, 08:34 PM

Car Info: "Shadow"
Originally Posted by EQ Tuning
On the note of the WRC... The 1.6l regulation is silly. The whole sport is getting more and more boring to watch and is losing fans quickly because of it. Bring back the group b monsters!
Yeah, it is silly but i understand where they're coming from, they wanted them to be more closely related to their street counterparts & for more teams to be readily accessible to the WRC with a simpler, smaller motor. The old WRC cars were just way too ****ing outrageous & expensive. The new cars are more boring to watch & they should be marketed (broadcast) over here more, losing fans, sh*t they need to make new ones first. It used to be shown here awhile back, but no more. Plus having only 3 manufacturers don't help them none either. More variety & tv coverage will def help tremendously. I can't wait to see what Subaru comes up with in 2014 with their STi, especially if they do return to WRC, hope it ain't a dud like now.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:38 PM

Car Info: 2004 STI
Rally-Cross!!! Now that's action.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:22 AM

Car Info: 94 Integra beater: one Slow 3 Series RIP EvoX
Originally Posted by G_Ride
The 4b11t is a good motor.
yes turbo+8k redline is fun to spin up every now and then,
but my built gsr hatchback revs to 8800 and weights 2400lbs
it is far more fun to drive and wind out, even if it is slower
Old 09-24-2011, 12:43 AM

Car Info: Some sort of Subaru
The new WRX/STi supposedly coming out in 2014 is a totally brand new vehicle, it will be on it's own, not based on the new 2012 Impreza at all. They are trying to separate the two model lines in the near future. Only the 2012-13 ones will be the same like right now, since Subaru plans on returning to the WRC at the same time. Therefore, it should be significantly shorter, lighter, wider, & much more sporty as they have already stated. I imagine a small, lighter, widebodied, 2 dr hatchback (exactly like the ones currently racing in WRC today) with an at least 300hp/tq 1.6L turbocharged engine. Why would Subaru go through all this trouble to produce a tiny 1.6L motor all of a sudden when the smallest engine they have now is 2.0, simple cuz that's the regulated engine size now in the WRC, ain't no freaking coincidence. I see the new upcoming BRZ RWD sport car getting the NA 2.0, & maybe a turbo model down the line, but the WRX will be the 1.6L detuned cheaper version of the WRC clone STi. If all goes well, my dream of finally getting a proper turbo hatchback from them might come true then, totally WRC style! They even mentioned they might go the twincharged route (just like VW), a super/turbo charged hybrid setup, now that would be hella badass!
I've heard about the WRX/STI becoming a separate line from the Impreza. Unless Subaru plans to make the next generation WRX/STI the size of a Ford Fiesta or Mini Countryman, smaller than the Impreza, the next WRC Subaru will be a different model. Otherwise, I see the STI getting the 2.0 turbo. The WRX may get the 1.6 turbo or a detuned 2.0 turbo.

Originally Posted by Javirex23
alot of American cars have either a hemi (even a jeep) or some sort of super power engine (mustang v6 @ 300 hp) why cant subaru make an *** whooping turbo 4 banger that has some more power wtf!

i mean the sti has alot of power, but its time for bump, not a slump.....
matt is right
It's not all about power. It's about power to weight ratio. If Subaru can get the next generation to go on a diet, then even with the same power ratings it should be faster.

Originally Posted by EQ Tuning
Group B would be AWESOME to have again! As for the current WRC season, it hasn't been that boring. It's been a good fight for 1st overall.