Need a TD-04 to Pass State Referee :(

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 12:38 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 05 WRX
Need a TD-04 to Pass State Referee :(

I got pulled over and given a state ref ticket

I was speeding 70 in a 55 (Stupid me) and the CHP officer had a real hard-on for my car..asking me what map I was running etc.. and immediately he looked under my car and saw I was catless and gave me a state ref ticket...

I swapped back my downpipe and took her into the ref and he failed me because I have an aftermarket turbo...I explained that my stock turbo developed a crack, wouldn't hold boost and so I swapped it out for a Blouche 16xt and he explained that in California it is against the law to replace the turbo in any way with a non-subaru part...He also said that my emissions and everything else was a pass (E85) so I need just need to swap back the turbo. He was a really nice guy actually.

Does anybody have a TD-04 from a stock WRX that they could loan me for a few days? I don't care if it's cracked or whatever...I just need to get it to the ref to pass..I'm happy to pay to borrow it or take it off your hands, it just needs to work for a few dozen miles then I can swap back

Any help greatly appreciated
Old 08-22-2016, 11:54 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
I've got one man.
Old 08-22-2016, 01:21 PM

Car Info: Forester XTi
Can't you just put your stock heat shield on? no way to tell what model turbo it is with it on and in place.
Old 08-22-2016, 01:26 PM

Car Info: 2006 WRX wagon
I hate California. All that should matter is what comes out of the tail pipe.
Old 08-22-2016, 03:21 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by OneManArmy
I've got one man.
Thanks Ray , I think I'm sorted but if it falls through I'll call you

Originally Posted by Overbear
Can't you just put your stock heat shield on? no way to tell what model turbo it is with it on and in place.
LOL....The referee knows exactly what to look for on a Subaru..he went through the emissions system with a fine tooth comb and my turbo that was covered with a stock heat shield was obvious to him in seconds. 0% chance that he missed it

Originally Posted by matthepcat
I hate California. All that should matter is what comes out of the tail pipe.
I got a flying pass on emissions....Maybe E85 runs clean enough to pass without cats?

Dan the State Referee at Skyline college was a nice guy and even said himself that CA laws are overly strict
Old 08-22-2016, 07:37 PM
I survived the Mod Challenge and all I got was this lousy title

Car Info: ...zeh car drives you!
Sooo...you passed smog with flying colors, yet you still fail? Makes perfect sense. California
Old 09-02-2016, 03:54 PM
VIP Member

Passed finally..turns out that the same CHP guy is sending them lots of Subarus and EVOs...literally the same cop on almost every ticket... this is not good
Old 09-02-2016, 04:10 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by glenspen
Passed finally..turns out that the same CHP guy is sending them lots of Subarus and EVOs...literally the same cop on almost every ticket... this is not good
Just means there's one douche profiling.

There's a guy here in santa cruz that's popping a lot of subarus too.
Old 09-02-2016, 06:09 PM
I survived the Mod Challenge and all I got was this lousy title

Car Info: ...zeh car drives you!
Fantastic. Because every criminal and crime have been solved, every speeder caught and every HOV violator sent to jail that there is nothing else better to do than profile impart compact for potential mods?
Old 09-16-2016, 12:30 PM
VIP Member

So I swapped back to a TD-04 and passed the ref...went to court today and the nice judge dismissed the ticket...reduced my speeding fine and gave me traffic school so no point

What an ordeal!

Moral of the story...when you are driving a car that is illegal for road use you should not speed. Save it for the track

Big thanks to Mike and Zach at GST and Mert at RBMS for helping me
Old 09-19-2016, 10:15 AM

Moral of the story...when you are driving a car that is illegal for road use you should not speed. Save it for the track
Yup, there's a guy on BARF (motorcycle forum) whose mantra was "Only violate one law at once". If you are going to speed, make sure your bike is clean and you have your license & insurance documents in order.

Congrats on getting the ref complete
Old 09-19-2016, 09:08 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Gaahh that sucks. Did that happen out here on the Coastside? I have been thinking more and more about swapping in a stock TBE at this point.

Glad you got it sorted. I used to have to do the same thing with my old RWD Celica ~20yrs ago. Smog time.. Swap on the stock carb/manifold and miles of vacuum hoses plus an air pump. The car was gutless and used more fuel but hey it passed. We tested it for fun with my "normal" setup and it was nice and clean but no way would it pass visual. Such crap.
Old 09-20-2016, 10:21 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by wombatsauce
Gaahh that sucks. Did that happen out here on the Coastside? I have been thinking more and more about swapping in a stock TBE at this point.
It was on 101 on the peninsula in South San Francisco.

I saw another car with hood popped last week also Time to stay stock until my next track day