minor accident/ insurance question

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 01:59 PM

minor accident/ insurance question

i dozed off and rear ended a car in traffic. the damage appears to be cosmetic: paint and scratches. i asked the lady to not let insurance involved, and i'll settle the repair fees on the side. she agreed. however, she later called and noticed me that she has filed a record with her insurance, but are not going to make a claim on mine for repairs.
will that bump my premium up? and do i have any rights to suggest how she can do her repair? she has a BWM, the damage can be repaired by a new paint job, but i am prepared to buy her a new bumper worst case...
Old 08-30-2006, 02:02 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2012 Mazda 3 Hatch
if she just filed a record with HER insurance, you're fine because your insurance doesn't know about it.... i believe your premiums only go up when you file a claim with your insurance.

But, i'm no expert and insurance always finds a way to ding you.
Old 08-30-2006, 02:33 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: black pearl sti
if she has a relatively new bmw i'd want my insurance to swallow that.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:41 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by ftnssn
A bumper cover and a respray will be WAY less than what a greater-than 51% at-fault accident will do to your premiums for the next 3 or so years.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:43 PM
VIP Member

Possibly, but if that bumper needs to be replaced...plus it's a BMW and their paint is significantly more expensive than say a subaru.
Old 08-30-2006, 06:26 PM

it is a mid 90s 325.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:06 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Possibly, but if that bumper needs to be replaced...plus it's a BMW and their paint is significantly more expensive than say a subaru.
The paint is more expensive? Uhhh no.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:25 PM
VIP Member

ok, i'm done with this internet argument. All I know is my dad had to replace the hood on his five series awhile back and the paint wasn't cheap.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:38 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
paint is expensive for most applications. three stage paints are expensive and thats what the mbp has.

Originally Posted by vapor
i dozed off and rear ended a car in traffic. the damage appears to be cosmetic: paint and scratches. i asked the lady to not let insurance involved, and i'll settle the repair fees on the side. she agreed. however, she later called and noticed me that she has filed a record with her insurance, but are not going to make a claim on mine for repairs.
will that bump my premium up? and do i have any rights to suggest how she can do her repair? she has a BWM, the damage can be repaired by a new paint job, but i am prepared to buy her a new bumper worst case...

her insurance company will appraise the damage and then send the info for the cost of repair to your insurance company. For a minor fender bender I don't imagine your rates going crazy but you may notice a small change in billing. If the original bumper is ok, the cost of repair and rental car should be around the $1000 mark. What kind of deductible do you have?
Old 08-30-2006, 08:40 PM

Car Info: 05' WRB STI
Originally Posted by vapor
Your rates won't go up unless her insurance reports it to your insurance, you can head that off by telling them (her ins) that you want to pay direct. You have zero say in where she gets it repaired or what actually they do to repair it (i.e. repair the bumper vs replace it), none at all. A new bumper for a mid 90s BMW plus refinish time and all the other nonsense involved at a regular shop you're looking at $700-$1500. BMW's are teh suck for repair costs.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:41 PM

Car Info: 05' WRB STI
Originally Posted by Jakes02
What kind of deductible do you have?
I'll head this one off at the pass, it's liability coverage he would be dealing with, there isn't a deductible. Most insurance companies can only raise you're rates if it is an at fault accident where the insurance pays over $750 in damage, each company is a little different from that point on but those are the bare minimum requirements.