Mililtary Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2005, 11:46 AM

Car Info: 05 STi
Originally Posted by 4080wrx
i can agree with that. but the lowest grade they will take spc or spc promotable(not sure what the standards are right now due to them always changing policies) probably has barely touched a college course.

but either way to stay on topic, A 04 GUIZE when and if you decide to join the military it makes no difference to me what branch as long as you are fighting along next to me as a fellow american thats all that matters and by doing so you would have done more for your country than most americans ever will have done. MY HATS OFF TO ALL THAT HAVE SERVED!!! BIG MAHALOS!! (THANK YOU)
Well of course, that is correct. You've got to become committed and trained up to standard before they're going to let you go learn business ethics and pre-renaissance literature. SF is a brotherhood (so is Infantry and especially Rangers but I think it goes to a new level) . Rank makes no difference anymore and people are treated how they should be. But anyway, like 4080wrx said, props to all that risk it all.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:42 PM

Car Info: Hilux Double Cab with a Dishka on top
Hey Aaron, I think you should join the Navy and try to get into BUD/s and become a SEAL.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:23 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
my buddy is airborne infantry right now. Army. They have him in LA cleaning up bodies right now and other such katrina related stuff. I've thought about going out there to join them but don't know who to do it with. Where I'd actually be of help.

they always need infantry.
Old 09-16-2005, 02:05 PM
rau
Something Custom

Car Info: You guys mad.
Originally Posted by bassplayrr
My grandpa was a marine and he was a bad ***. I vote marines.

-Chris
my father was a marine too... Jarheads are ****ing insane!
Old 09-16-2005, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by OneManArmy
my buddy is airborne infantry right now. Army. They have him in LA cleaning up bodies right now and other such katrina related stuff. I've thought about going out there to join them but don't know who to do it with. Where I'd actually be of help.

they always need infantry.
I'm down here right now.
Old 09-16-2005, 02:54 PM

Car Info: 02 Silver WRX sedan. Eibach springs, Blitz NUR cat back, Rota 17" Attacks, Cobb AccessPort/DP
Go Special Forces

Originally Posted by A 04 GUIZE
I basically want discipline, self reliance etc. that kinda of stuff. i dont care much about a career since im 17. Im going to try to get into law enforcement.
If it's self reliance you're looking for and you're in good shape...don't waste your time doing anything else...Go the S.F. route. Otherwise you'll be someones pawn the entire time you're in.

If I had the chance to do it all over again that's what I would do. I had teh oportunity to work with a few S.F. teams while deployed. These guys are in their own little world. If you go conventional (infantry) be prepared to be micro managed to death. S.F. is to military what Self employed is to civilians. Everyone on the team is considered an equal, no slackers to worry about.

Like I said, when I got a taste of the "good life" I realized it was just a waste of time doing anything else. It's hard work in the beginning but the payoff is worth it. I wish that was the rout I took.

Look into Army Special Forces, Marine Force recon, Air Force Para Rescue, Seals. There are a couple of others but those are on another level.

Theres nothing wrong with conventional forces, we need them. But if you want to get the most out of it and you have what it takes, get into SOF.
Old 09-16-2005, 02:58 PM

Car Info: 2005 STI
Since I'm a Marine Recruiter I'll tell you what I tell everyone who is looking into joining the Military. Check out all of the different branches of services! Do not just check out one branch! Get as much information as you can from each branch from a recruiter. Ask Ask Ask lots and lots of questions. Each branch of service has its good points and bad points. Ask yourself what do you want to gain from being in the Military. Do not let the recruiter fill your head full of Bull&^%$. If it sounds to good to be true, its not true! The military is going to get theres, Make sure you do the same. Joining the Military is a big deal! Make sure the recruiter answers ALL of your questions! Every branch of service offers Tangible Items ie, Money for college, free medical and dental, and 30 days paid vacation. Every branch also has intangable items ie, Discipline, Self reliance, courage, etc... For some people Different things are importmant. Thats why its important to check out all of the branches. It all depends on whats important to you. Success is a choice. Rememeber it doesn't matter what branch of service you join. Every branch of service will give you the tools you need to make yourself successful. It is up to you on how you use those tools if you become successful.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:55 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Originally Posted by Chrisnonstop
If it's self reliance you're looking for and you're in good shape...don't waste your time doing anything else...Go the S.F. route. Otherwise you'll be someones pawn the entire time you're in.
Yes, but you need to understand how the Q instructors at JFKSWCS think about 17yr olds. Unless you're a stellar soldier with the mental capacity of 30yr old, your chances are slim.

You'll probably be mid 18yr old by the time you finish 11x OSUT and Airborne school. Then they'll ship you off as a "SWCS Baby" to Bragg to give you crash courses in land navigation, first aid, etc. Then you'll attend SFAS and may not get selected for the Q-Course ahead of you.

All I can say is that the Q instructors don't take too kindly to the SWCS Babies unless they are 110% squared away. If you think you’re good to go now on fitness and maturity then you’re not even close. If you go this route be prepared to be disappointed and sent to a line unit if you fail. It's a LONG, grueling pipeline to get that Green Beret.

I’d rather you hear it like it is now so you understand all your options, A 04 GUIZE. When everything is said and done it'll be your decision based on what you think you're truly capable of.

Last edited by Salty; 09-16-2005 at 04:05 PM.
Old 09-16-2005, 10:46 PM

Car Info: 05 WRB WRX Sedan
yes, go get some time as a troop, maybe a deployment under your belt, maybe even wait to become a sergeant and you know your land nav like the back of your hand etc, then go SF. there is no hurry.
Old 09-17-2005, 12:45 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
I tried to join the Marines...but I couldn't fit my head in a Pepsi bottle.

Don't know what your plans for the future are, but if college or vocational schooling are in it, look at the Army.
When I joined...****, before you were born it seems....the Army paid the most for schooling after getting out.
All this may have changed, so ask each branches' recruiter what they're offering.

Now, if you wanna be gung ho 11Bravo...that's Infantry for you civilians...I'd suggest Airborne & Ranger.
So far in life, the only regret I have is not going Airborne & Ranger whilst I was in the Army.
If you want to be a Ranger, you can do it.
It's all a mind ****; RIP & Ranger School are only as hard as you make 'em.
Please don't think I'm telling you it'll be easy, because it won't be.
But, as the cliche goes: The more difficult something is to obtain, the more precious it is.
Old 09-17-2005, 03:49 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Rust and Salt
Originally Posted by A 04 GUIZE
I basically want discipline, self reliance etc. that kinda of stuff. i dont care much about a career since im 17.
Sorry man, but that's the wrong answer. I know you're pointing towards Army/USMC, but you have to remember to plan for the future. You might join and find out that it isn't what you want to do with the rest of your life. Personally, I'm an Air Force crew chief, I'm out there fixing and launching and recovering my aircraft every day. But when I get out, I can get my FAA certification/Airframe & Powerplant certification and work in the civilian aviation industry. Granted, I don't plan on doing that, but it's good to know that the option is there. Just remember to keep your options open, and look at the long term.

And please listen to Moki97. He just learned a lot of my respect about what he said about checking out the other services. Heed his words, and you will make the right decision.

Good luck!

Josh
5th Recon Sq Blackcats
Osan AB, Korea
Old 09-17-2005, 07:11 AM

Car Info: 06 EVO IX 67 COUPE DEVILLE
Originally Posted by kidatari
Sorry man, but that's the wrong answer. I know you're pointing towards Army/USMC, but you have to remember to plan for the future. You might join and find out that it isn't what you want to do with the rest of your life. Personally, I'm an Air Force crew chief, I'm out there fixing and launching and recovering my aircraft every day. But when I get out, I can get my FAA certification/Airframe & Powerplant certification and work in the civilian aviation industry. Granted, I don't plan on doing that, but it's good to know that the option is there. Just remember to keep your options open, and look at the long term.

And please listen to Moki97. He just learned a lot of my respect about what he said about checking out the other services. Heed his words, and you will make the right decision.

Good luck!

Josh
5th Recon Sq Blackcats
Osan AB, Korea

I was first looking at tha air force but its not what i want. I wanted to be a fire fighter or an NDI worker. My dad was is air force he liked it. But im only 17 and i plan on being a cop when im out. I understand where your coming from but i would rather be army or USMC.
Old 09-17-2005, 07:14 AM

Car Info: 06 EVO IX 67 COUPE DEVILLE
Originally Posted by Oaf

Don't know what your plans for the future are, but if college or vocational schooling are in it, look at the Army.
When I joined...****, before you were born it seems....the Army paid the most for schooling after getting out.
All this may have changed, so ask each branches' recruiter what they're offering.

Now, if you wanna be gung ho 11Bravo...that's Infantry for you civilians...I'd suggest Airborne & Ranger.
So far in life, the only regret I have is not going Airborne & Ranger whilst I was in the Army.
But, as the cliche goes: The more difficult something is to obtain, the more precious it is.
haha head too big ehh??? I'm gonna try to be a cop when im out.
Old 09-17-2005, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Oaf

Exactly!!! It's as hard as you make it. Just remember that your body will always quit before your mind does, stay in control.
Old 09-17-2005, 02:04 PM

Car Info: 2005 STI
Since you've seemed to have narrowed your choices down to the Army or the Marines. You need to write down as many questions as you can about each of the two services. Some questions that you should think about asking a recruiter are: What can I get from your branch of service that I cant get from the other? How is (what ever Branch) going to help me to get to my goal of being (what ever it is you want to do after you leave the service)? Ask alot of "how and what if questions". Remember this is YOUR LIFE and YOUR FUTURE that you are talking about. The reason why I stress asking alot of questions is so that you are prepared. You wouldn't take a knife to a gun fight right! Just like you shouldn't talk to a recruiter with out lots of good questions. Plus if you ask alot of questions and have done good research you can tell if your being feed bull *&^%. Most importmant thing to remember, If a question or a concern you have is importmant to you... It should be importmant to the recruiter. If you feel like the recruiter is trying to down play the question or concern that you have as not being important. Look the recruiter in the eye, stand up, tell him thank you for the information, and walk out. This is YOUR FUTURE! Not his...There is no such thing as a dumb question.

Quick Reply: Mililtary Question