Mililtary Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2005, 03:14 PM

Car Info: 06 EVO IX 67 COUPE DEVILLE
Originally Posted by moki97
Since you've seemed to have narrowed your choices down to the Army or the Marines. You need to write down as many questions as you can about each of the two services. Some questions that you should think about asking a recruiter are: What can I get from your branch of service that I cant get from the other? How is (what ever Branch) going to help me to get to my goal of being (what ever it is you want to do after you leave the service)? Ask alot of "how and what if questions". Remember this is YOUR LIFE and YOUR FUTURE that you are talking about. The reason why I stress asking alot of questions is so that you are prepared. You wouldn't take a knife to a gun fight right! Just like you shouldn't talk to a recruiter with out lots of good questions. Plus if you ask alot of questions and have done good research you can tell if your being feed bull *&^%. Most importmant thing to remember, If a question or a concern you have is importmant to you... It should be importmant to the recruiter. If you feel like the recruiter is trying to down play the question or concern that you have as not being important. Look the recruiter in the eye, stand up, tell him thank you for the information, and walk out. This is YOUR FUTURE! Not his...There is no such thing as a dumb question.

thank you
Old 09-17-2005, 06:11 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2002
Originally Posted by A 04 GUIZE
thank you
yo aaron, basically join which service you want to join... make sure you pick a job you are going to enjoy...

if your planning to join the USMC, know that they are the "Strict" branch and you will deal with more bull**** other services wont have too...haircut, physical fitness, worse living standards, slow promotions (depending on job), hurry up and wait, etc...(prime example : if you join marines... until you become an NCO, you will probably live in a barracks with 3 roomates living on a bunkbed, if you join the airforce, you have like 1 roomate with a nice room etc...)

but also know that whatever branch you join, you will end up being deployed a lot because of the time we are in...yeah talking to your recruiter might give you some guidance but be aware their job is to recruit, so if your job was to sell a ****ty car.. your gonna hype that ***** up like its a cadillac and it'll never break down on you...dont believe everything you hear...

also dont really believe all this bull**** ppl are saying about "oh but when i get out the military i can go fix airplanes yada yada" if you go infantry for 4 yrs you'd still be 22 after its said and done, you can do whatever you want to and have more field experience and leadership skills than any flyboy, sailor, or joe...

Last edited by SsTiNgEr77; 09-17-2005 at 06:31 PM.
Old 09-17-2005, 06:55 PM

If you want to be a cop, why not go to college, have ROTC pay for it, then be an officer for 4 years?
Old 09-17-2005, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by SsTiNgEr77
yo aaron, basically join which service you want to join... make sure you pick a job you are going to enjoy...

if your planning to join the USMC, know that they are the "Strict" branch and you will deal with more bull**** other services wont have too...haircut, physical fitness, worse living standards, slow promotions (depending on job), hurry up and wait, etc...(prime example : if you join marines... until you become an NCO, you will probably live in a barracks with 3 roomates living on a bunkbed, if you join the airforce, you have like 1 roomate with a nice room etc...)

but also know that whatever branch you join, you will end up being deployed a lot because of the time we are in...yeah talking to your recruiter might give you some guidance but be aware their job is to recruit, so if your job was to sell a ****ty car.. your gonna hype that ***** up like its a cadillac and it'll never break down on you...dont believe everything you hear...

also dont really believe all this bull**** ppl are saying about "oh but when i get out the military i can go fix airplanes yada yada" if you go infantry for 4 yrs you'd still be 22 after its said and done, you can do whatever you want to and have more field experience and leadership skills than any flyboy, sailor, or joe...

I was asking where you have been. Then i rememberd you were in the marines. Yea ill be 21 when im out and have a military background. Im awar the marines is the hardest most strict etc. but i think that if im going to join the military go ahead and do the best/hardest one you know. Whats your MOS?
Old 09-17-2005, 07:42 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Originally Posted by SsTiNgEr77
This is funny. Please think about what you're posting before you fill A 04 GUIZE's with meaningless comments. Understand the fact that he's considering Army infantry which no laughing matter. If you don't score a consistent 270 our 300 on your PT test in a regular Infantry line unit then you're considered a ****bag (180 is the Army requirement). If you slip below a 300 in a SOC/SOF Army unit then you're frowned upon. Slip below a 270 and you're gone. Simple as that.

When ever my LRSD teams or 82nd Airborne Infantry unit would get to cross train with Marines that weren't SOC/SOF, we'd consistently out perform all of them. This includes the 0331, 0311's (whatever) that weren't SOC. Not to mention skin-tight haircuts every Sunday, bull**** you could cut with a knife, and barracks from the 50's just like the Marines, etc. In fact, those few Marines I knew that transfered to 11b as 0311 wish they never had for the reasons you state.

I'm not trying to say one is better than the other and I would agree with you based on Marines being more fit and disciplined than the Army overall (except infantry/SOF). But Infantry regardless of branch is a ENTIRELY different world.

The only thing I agree with you on is that the Air Force would probably only have one roomate as opposed to 2 or 3 in one shoebox (been there as well).

Last edited by Salty; 09-17-2005 at 07:47 PM.
Old 09-17-2005, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Salty
This is funny. Please think about what you're posting before you fill A 04 GUIZE's with meaningless comments. Understand the fact that he's considering Army infantry which no laughing matter. If you don't score a consistent 270 our 300 on your PT test in a regular Infantry line unit then you're considered a ****bag (180 is the Army requirement). If you slip below a 300 in a SOC/SOF Army unit then you're frowned upon. Slip below a 270 and you're gone. Simple as that.

When ever my LRSD teams or 82nd Airborne Infantry unit would get to cross train with Marines that weren't SOC/SOF, we'd consistently out perform all of them. This includes the 0331, 0311's (whatever) that weren't SOC. Not to mention skin-tight haircuts every Sunday, bull**** you could cut with a knife, and barracks from the 50's just like the Marines, etc. In fact, those few Marines I knew that transfered to 11b as 0311 wish they never had for the reasons you state.

I'm not trying to say one is better than the other and I would agree with you based on Marines being more fit and disciplined than the Army overall (except infantry/SOF). But Infantry regardless of branch is a ENTIRELY different world.

The only thing I agree with you on is that the Air Force would probably only have one roomate as opposed to 2 or 3 in one shoebox (been there as well).

so no McDonalds i take it :-( jk
Old 09-17-2005, 10:45 PM

Car Info: 05 WRB WRX Sedan
Originally Posted by riptide2
If you want to be a cop, why not go to college, have ROTC pay for it, then be an officer for 4 years?
because officers suck.
Old 09-17-2005, 11:43 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by 1reguL8NSTi
I'm down here right now.

any ideas on what ship to jump. I'm dead serious about heading out there to lend a hand.

red cross is looking good right now but I want to do more than hand out food and water if you get my drift.

as for military what nots. I've been reading the posts. The thing is, there are positives and negatives on every branch. You need to research and look at what is gonna be the best for you, who's giving you the best training for civilian life if you plan on going that route or where you can do the best if you want to serve life. what suites you and your needs and where you can do the most good.

I've got and had buddies in every branch and I've heard positive and negative about every branch. I talked to a few myself...damn medical history kept me from where i wanted to go.

As for the army..it's no joke man. Basically...every branch. You get what you put in. If you drag your *** and hurt those around you you either get **** on or you get shipped out. If you bust your *** and keep your mind right you can do good things and it'll do good things for you. Buddy of mine from highschools is flying brass all over the world right now. another one just drove out to mississippi. He's a 2nd Leu and going out for flight school....C130 path.

Couple buddies in the army. Couple in the coast guard.

Basically...do the research..make sure it's what YOU.....YOOOOUUU want. Don't get hussled. Don't make rash decisions. If you do what you want then you'll do well.

Remember...strong mind.....strong body. Mind first. Keep your mind right.
Old 09-17-2005, 11:49 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by Salty

my little brother is in those old *** baracks in missouri right now. Lovin every minute of it.

my buddy that's in LA right now is fitter than a lot of marines I've known.....remember..you get what you give. the kids a rock. can run circles and swim cirlces around most. (can't hold his liquor for **** though) He got hosed on the ranger test..he'll do fine next time....he was at the back of the pack....salty knows what that means....
Old 09-18-2005, 05:53 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2002
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
my little brother is in those old *** baracks in missouri right now. Lovin every minute of it.

my buddy that's in LA right now is fitter than a lot of marines I've known.....remember..you get what you give. the kids a rock. can run circles and swim cirlces around most. (can't hold his liquor for **** though) He got hosed on the ranger test..he'll do fine next time....he was at the back of the pack....salty knows what that means....

wow your buddy in LA must be hot ****? cuz guess what.. all those chinese guys in olympic gymnastics are a lot more fit than all the marines i know!

no **** there are gonna be guys that are swol *** pt studs, every branch has them... im basing my statements off the overall standards... there are a lot more fatbodies in the army / navy / air force than in the marine corps...does that mean there aren't faties in the usmc... absolutely not,

and lets not get started on army infantry showing usmc infantry up...that could go either way but the majority will say the marines are #1...

ARMY - Aren't Ready for Marines Yet
USMC - U Suckers Missed Chow

btw aaron if you wondering what im doing, im in africa @ www.3rdpsc.com

Last edited by SsTiNgEr77; 09-18-2005 at 05:55 PM.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:21 AM

Car Info: 05 STi
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
any ideas on what ship to jump. I'm dead serious about heading out there to lend a hand.

red cross is looking good right now but I want to do more than hand out food and water if you get my drift.

as for military what nots. I've been reading the posts. The thing is, there are positives and negatives on every branch. You need to research and look at what is gonna be the best for you, who's giving you the best training for civilian life if you plan on going that route or where you can do the best if you want to serve life. what suites you and your needs and where you can do the most good.

I've got and had buddies in every branch and I've heard positive and negative about every branch. I talked to a few myself...damn medical history kept me from where i wanted to go.

As for the army..it's no joke man. Basically...every branch. You get what you put in. If you drag your *** and hurt those around you you either get **** on or you get shipped out. If you bust your *** and keep your mind right you can do good things and it'll do good things for you. Buddy of mine from highschools is flying brass all over the world right now. another one just drove out to mississippi. He's a 2nd Leu and going out for flight school....C130 path.

Couple buddies in the army. Couple in the coast guard.

Basically...do the research..make sure it's what YOU.....YOOOOUUU want. Don't get hussled. Don't make rash decisions. If you do what you want then you'll do well.

Remember...strong mind.....strong body. Mind first. Keep your mind right.
That's basically the just of it. And as for the assistance. Seriously man, stay where you're at. It's pretty much under control and you're not going to get the gratification you would have if you'd have been here a few weeks ago. Next time you see the "big one" coming, call the Office of Natural Resources and ask if they need any help. They did a hell of job down here and were my choice of organizations to work with.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:20 PM

Car Info: 2002 MBP WRX, 2012 OBP STi wagon
... okay, let's get the other side of the story from a former enlisted who is now a Captain in the USAR, MI Branch.

I've worked on joint missions with all kinds of servicemen and women... USAF, USMC, USN, of all ranks, from lowly E1s to a2 star that pinned my Railroad Tracks. My TAC in ROTC was a Ranger, a few good friends at my OBC class were tabs/shielders (Rangers/SF), and I've been in (still serving) for 14 years and counting.

I'll tell you right off: You get what you put in. It doesn't matter what service or MOS, you get what you put in. You want to be a PT god, you can be. You want to be SF, you can be. You want BUDS/Seals/Recon/SAR, you can. It all depends on how much mental/physical conditioning you are willing to submit yourself to in order to get what you want. If you work at something in the military, you can get what you want.

I started my career in the Army as a 97B, CI Agent. Got the TC/SCI clearance, learned a lot of cool stuff, did some classified work, then went into ROTC. I graduated from Cal, got my 2LT bars in MI, been MI my entire career. Deployed to GTMO, worked some joint missions, fun stuff. I used to run 28-30 miles a week. I did PT with ROTC, and scheduled some PE classes in the middle of my schedule so I could work out in the weight room. I busted my butt getting good grades in my military and civilian classes. I wasn't a PT god, but I did my best. Could I have been a Ranger or SF? Probably not. I'm wasn't built for strength when I was younger, but I could run a 2mile PT run after the push-ups and sit-ups and finish consistenly at 12:30 or under (personal best was 11:32).

In my time (as I said, 14 years and counting), I have met all manner of pogues and studs, useless trash and top 10%ers who kicked butt, were 300 PT gods, and were going places, and you KNEW it. Consistently, CONSISTENTLY, the ones who succeeded were the ones who put forth effort.

Picking a branch really depends on what you are looking for. Each branch plays a specific part in the national security doctrine of the US. Each branch has its quirks, its goods, and its bads. RESEARCH and you won't be going in blind.

You want to go law enforcement after you serve? Why not be an MP/SP? You get law enforcement training from the get go, and being an MP DOES help when going for a civilian career in law enforcement. If you KNOW you don't want to make the military a career, choose a field that will COMPLEMENT or HELP your civilian aspirations. If you scored well on your ASVAB, LOOK at what you qualify for. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with Infantry, and not all 11Bs are blockheads (I personally know an 11B with a Masters degree), but going into infrantry is like being a regular shift worker. You are just THERE. Until/unless you go Ranger/SF/Airborne/Air Assault/etc., you are just ... there. Seriously. Infantry is only a first step. If you don't have the time or the desire to make the Army a career, do NOT go infantry (my personal opinion only). If you join Infantry and want to do bigger/better/cooler things, you have to invest a lot of time getting into the right schools (RIP/Rangers/Q/jump/etc.) and you have to excel at physical fitness. Seriously. You have to be a PT god to make Infantry a serious, successful military career. If you have no desire to do that, do not choose infantry. Choose an MOS that will help you do what you want to do AFTER the military. As I suggested, if you want to go into law enforcement, look at MP/SP.

I have counseled a LOT of people about their military careers (hey, I was a Company Commander of a Headquarters unit, so I know the drill when talking to all kinds of MOSes, from cooks and MPs to Mechanics and MI folks), so if you want to get serious targeted advice about military service, let me know.

Again, you can find what you are looking for with ANY service, but do your research and understand what each service is meant to do. They all have their roles to play in US Military Doctrine. Understand what each is supposed to do, and understand what you want you rmilitary experience to do for YOU, and you can make an informed choice.

Last edited by shadowcat; 09-19-2005 at 04:23 PM.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:48 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Good advice.

Truth be told I wanted to be a 37F (Psyops) at MEPS but they were booked. The recruiter said the next infantry bunch left soon so I jumped on it. I had scored the highest possible score on the ASVAB like many other infantrymen. But like most of them I wanted to be "hooah."

Honestly though, any MOS will be nice wallpaper for the Police academy. Worry about which MOS you'll be interested in the most because you may enjoy it enough to make a career out of it. That's what i would do if I were you. Wouldn’t want to regret the next 4yrs because you made a bad MOS choice.

And if infantry is what you really want to do then I say join the branch that suits you the most. Consider signing bonuses, commitment avenues (example: go 0311 and you could get stuck as amphibious – but marines get to serve on ship and travel), possible duty stations, travel, schools, promotions, etc. If you want to talk about this stuff go ahead and shoot me another PM and I’d be happy to answer more of your questions. The only thing I won't be able to help you on are signing bonuses.

One thing is for certain… once you pick a branch you need to get involved in their DEP until you ship. You’ll get a jump on things and may possibly gain rank by passing a PT test, written test, etc. They are hurting for troops in most every branch. Milk them. There shouldn’t be any reason not to get E3 in Army DEP (not sure about Marines) and a serious signing/college bonus.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:50 PM

Well i just got home from my asvab. i did just good enough more infantry and im not sure what else is open to me. I would love to be a marine but from what i am told it makes me kinda hesitate. Such as marines are their to die, thats what they do etc. But i would love to be one. Im problay going to go army because thats who i have been working with most the time. If i do go army i am going airborne/rip/etc. I dont want to be a basic infantry men unless im a marine.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:18 AM

Car Info: 180sx super drift machine!
If your thinking about law enforcement, I just wanted to let you know that the Air Force Security Forces techincal school qualifies as a POST certificate in Florida. Lateral trainee, anyone? Plus there's Raven school, EST, and has anyone even mentioned PJ's and CCT's on the Air Force side? I didn't read the whole thread.

Quick Reply: Mililtary Question