just moved here, so many scoobies! looking for IT/gaming Job

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 11:24 PM

Car Info: 97' Dodge Cummins and an RSTI thingie
Welcome to the bay! I don't know of any IT jobs, but good luck!
Old 11-05-2009, 10:49 AM

Car Info: a rental car and then a scooter
thanks for the warm welcomes and tons of responses! so here we go

Originally Posted by iLoqin
You might need to list your specs.
I am pretty flexible as far as location and salary, I just need to get my foot in the door somewhere and extend my visa. I would not mind a 30hrs a week job to begin with. you got a PM

Originally Posted by brucelee
Gaming isn't where its at.
Too bad the company went under! Looking for more work with NO luck AT ALL
oh yeah I know that. Especially if you are a tester. I worked with the Superbike and Moto GP developer as a tester. it depends though on a lot of things. automation? well I am not that good at programming. what language were you using?

Originally Posted by brucelee
SCREW EA SPORTS! Worst job ever and they will pay you $12 an hour and work you like a Mule! I have had several friends that worked at their factory (yes, they call it a factory that stamps out games systematically).
very true, especially entry level positions.

Originally Posted by rau
I have customers and friends at Perfect World and IGN and they say they are hiring. I know there are a few studios near my work as well.....
I checked on Perfect World's website but I can't find their jobs section. I am gonna PM you.

Originally Posted by johndabrit
Ea just I'd a huge layoff about a year ago and redwood shores almost doesn't exist. They moved all of support to Austin tx. Shoot me your resume. Pm me for email address
PMd you.

Originally Posted by josh
....and dont be afraid to look into it support in the mean time. they dont pay so hot, but it could be income while you are searching for the job you want.
welcome to BAIC
josh
thanks! and yes I am looking into IT support as well, system admin and help desk.

Originally Posted by eugenile
Welcome to the Bay ARea.

Hope you already have a significant other because the ratio here is 9:1 guys to girl.
I do have a significant other, but she's out of state! so I guess we are on the same boat

Originally Posted by kYLEMtnCRUZr
and even more waves if you actually have mud on your mudflaps! mind boggling i know.

before you ask there is no dirt to play in around here :/ yeah probably not as much dirty fun as MN was. you have to drive a while to find worth while spots. http://www.youtube.com/user/RallyDud...10/6cFX3dgB4BA

lock dem wheels up!
I figure here wouldn't be as rural, but I managed to get dirty anyway in big sur on some dirt road
does this look better? ahahah

Name:  P1050593.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  102.8 KB

as a matter of fact I removed from now my PR skid plate, also because I a monitoring a leak.

Originally Posted by FlatWReX
What's your IT experience? I work at Lucasfilm and could pass your resume on to some people, depending on your skill set. I also support Lucasarts, so if there are any positions there you'd be interested, I could do the same. Check out http://jobs.lucasfilm.com and let me know if you see anything you'd be interested in.
cool. I'll look into it and get back with you.

THANKS TO EVERYBODY! keep them coming! I have to figure out this job situation soon or it's goodbye for me.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:04 AM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru WRX Sedan
I work at a helpdesk for HP, pretty good gig. I'm pretty sure we've got another opening coming before Christmas. I'll PM you the listing once it's posted. It's more a customer service job than a tech job... I didn't know the first thing about scripting before I started.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:02 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Another RBP 99 RS! Welcome!
Old 11-09-2009, 05:12 PM

I've sent out a few resumes to some members here. thanks again and I am bumping this.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:35 PM

Car Info: 14 Mazda3 sGT, SOLD 12/26: 00 2.5RS Sedan
Sorry to go off tangent a little bit. A few of my friends just got laid off of EA. They were lead testers on salary and they've been with the company between 2-4 years. About the "work you like a mule" thing at EA, OT actually has to be approved nowadays from what I hear. Long hours on random days is normal in the gaming industry. Good luck man!
Old 11-09-2009, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Hollandaze
Sorry to go off tangent a little bit. A few of my friends just got laid off of EA. They were lead testers on salary and they've been with the company between 2-4 years. About the "work you like a mule" thing at EA, OT actually has to be approved nowadays from what I hear. Long hours on random days is normal in the gaming industry. Good luck man!
sorry to hear about your friends, and yes in gaming OT is the norm especially for certain positions. Things got somewhat better in the last 5 years or so but still...

do you have any clue what range was their salary?
Old 11-09-2009, 10:13 PM

Car Info: Teh Subie
I think the GameStop in Danville is hiring if you are desperate. I know our company isn't hiring any more IT people until mid next year @ the earliest.

Heard from a co-worker that LucasArts is okay, but she got F&CK'd at the end. They didn't even cancel her company gym membership, so she got billed for like $300 and they refused to do anything about it.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:34 AM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
this wont help

http://kotaku.com/5400594/rumor-ea-g...layfish-buyout
Old 11-22-2009, 02:29 PM

bump. I have been to a game developer meeting. Very cool. Made a few connections but no job yet
Old 11-22-2009, 05:00 PM
Token Toyota Mod

Car Info: Something german
Originally Posted by baco

I am pretty flexible as far as location and salary, I just need to get my foot in the door somewhere and extend my visa. I would not mind a 30hrs a week job to begin with. you got a PM

Is that all you need to retain your visa? I thought it was 40?

I checked on Perfect World's website but I can't find their jobs section. I am gonna PM you.

It's there. you just have to click on a link that says "careers"
Here is one and just take this if you could to keep you afloat:
Responsibilities & Job Duties:

* • Install, configure, test, maintain, monitor and troubleshoot end user and network hardware, peripheral devices, printing/scanning devices, presentation equipment and other products along with associated software products.

* • Set up desk locations with computer, monitors, peripherals, phone and data ports

* • Install and maintain conference room audio/video equipment

* • Maintain Inventory Assets and Asset Tagging both Software/Hardware products

* • Responsible for the Purchasing of IT Equipments (Desktops/Servers/Network Equipments)

* • Management of Backups of Data from IDC locations and local intranet servers including disaster recovery

* • Process standard equipment requests

* • Liaise with and provide basic training and support to end users and staff on equipment operation and other issues.

* • Install, configure, maintain and support MS Windows clients and Exchange Server including Active Directory

* • Manage creation of new hire accounts and ensure provided documentation addresses all their needs.

* • Improve current Help Desk processes/procedures to match needs of growing company.

* • Installation/Maintenance of Routers, Switches, Firewalls, Servers (Windows/Linux) at Corporate Office/Data Center locations and Game Server Maintenance/Patches

* • Other special projects as assigned within the Engineering Team including but not limited (Web Software QA, CDN Management, SVN)

Question for ya. What made you move out to Brokeafornia? Where will you go if your visa runs out?
Good luck dude. It's a tad rough out here but not as bad as it was 3-4 months ago.