Hey guys, off topic..but do you guys remember college?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 12:40 PM

Car Info: 2005 STi Silver
wow, those are such good grades and scores..and u still didnt get into cal or la...the first time? man..i dont want to appeal...more work!
Old 03-02-2005, 12:50 PM

I graduated '02. 3.75 GPA, 1150 SAT's, crappy SAT 2's, but a really good personal statement and a good list of ex. curr. activities. I applied to UCD (1st choice), UCI, and UCSD. Automatically got into UCR without applying, but didn't get into UCSD. I'm back at home, going to a jr. college cuz UCD was way too expensive for my blood and my family's blood, but I did get a taste of university life. I say go for it! There's a HUGE difference between university life and jr. college. If you wanna feel the full college experience and you really care about your education, don't limit yourself to comm. college. I'll be applying for re-admission to Davis for Fall '06. Going back to jr. college and being so close to home and what I was used to set me back in my academics, but college is what you make of it. Don't stress too much about acceptances, just keep your goals in perspective. Good luck with everything.
Old 03-02-2005, 04:11 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX Wagon (RIP)
Originally Posted by SkylineR35GTRx
they sure did **** up my grades!! i go to stupid Lowell stupid ******* school..i hate this school. if only i went to lincoln or sacred heart...man. and i bet if i went elsewhere..i wouldve had more confidence in myself and done better on the sats!
I graduated from Lowell too and I guess I would also have had a higher GPA had I gone to an easier school. You might not appreciate it now, but the classes at Lowell are way way better than most schools. My gf's a high school chem teacher now and the curriculum sounds like stuff I learned in middle school. College classes don't get any easier, so being well prepared will make you life easier in the long run. Colleges tend to look at GPA as more reflective of work ethic rather than intelligence. You seem like a reasonable smart person based on your SATs, but maybe study habits could be improved. Make sure to work hard whereever you end up because if you have plans for post graduate studies, a low GPA will follow you forever. You can always retake the MCAT, GRE, or LSAT, but you can't redo undergrad. I learned that the hard way.
Old 03-02-2005, 04:31 PM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
Unless you go to Stanford or an Ivy League school, it's who you know that determines your career.

If you went to Bezerkly, you are already bucketed into the peace-sign freaky liberal category. I was going to do a law degree there, until I realized it would only help me work for the ACLU.

As far as what your family and friends think, there ain't nothing like a big company name to make them forget about which school you went to.

Last edited by HellaDumb; 03-02-2005 at 04:34 PM.
Old 03-02-2005, 04:33 PM

Car Info: 2009 A3 2.0T quattro
Thats ridiculous. I have at least 10 friends at BOLT who are not going to be working for the ACLU (most are going into corporate law, though a couple are doing public interest law and a couple are going to the Justice Dept.

Going to Berkely or BOLT does not 'doom' you to a career at the ACLU.
Old 03-02-2005, 04:36 PM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
Originally Posted by mcowger
Thats ridiculous. I have at least 10 friends at BOLT who are not going to be working for the ACLU (most are going into corporate law, though a couple are doing public interest law and a couple are going to the Justice Dept.

Going to Berkely or BOLT does not 'doom' you to a career at the ACLU.
Ok, ok, so the truth is I got lazy and wasn't on my mom's tit to pay for it
Old 03-02-2005, 04:58 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX Wagon (RIP)
Originally Posted by HellaDumb
Ok, ok, so the truth is I got lazy and wasn't on my mom's tit to pay for it
I dunno what law school you're gonna find that might be cheaper than Boalt. Hard to beat public education prices.

Last edited by crazy_sherm; 03-02-2005 at 05:00 PM.
Old 03-02-2005, 07:11 PM

lol guys, thanks for all the input...it helps. yeah my worth ethic isnt the best...i got kind of crushed by lowell..its like all these smart people around me...they are SO smart...that it maeks me feel bad and lose confidence in myself so i figure..why try...im never ognna be as smart as those ****ers, but if i went to a dumb school..i wouldve felt better and worked harder, thats what happened to a lot of my mediocre friends ...they got way smarter..or worked harder cuz eveyrone around them was so stupid. i guess everyone IS born pretty intelligent..and its more about having confidence in yourself and believing in yourself than being actually smart. i cant wait to go to college...and ....get my wrx. i dunno which one id like better...hmm. (lol jk!)
Old 03-02-2005, 07:19 PM
The weal amewican hewo!

Car Info: 02 Aspen White sedan
go to city college then you might have a better chance of getting in....

on side note...dude daniel wtf is up with the bullet in the chamber hahaha, nice handguns though
Old 03-02-2005, 09:23 PM

Car Info: Subaru?
Originally Posted by SkylineR35GTRx
lol guys, thanks for all the input...it helps. yeah my worth ethic isnt the best...i got kind of crushed by lowell..its like all these smart people around me...they are SO smart...that it maeks me feel bad and lose confidence in myself so i figure..why try...im never ognna be as smart as those ****ers, but if i went to a dumb school..i wouldve felt better and worked harder, thats what happened to a lot of my mediocre friends ...they got way smarter..or worked harder cuz eveyrone around them was so stupid. i guess everyone IS born pretty intelligent..and its more about having confidence in yourself and believing in yourself than being actually smart. i cant wait to go to college...and ....get my wrx. i dunno which one id like better...hmm. (lol jk!)
if u go to a bad high school ur also more likely to get caught up into bad things, things that would hurts ur grades and so on... colleges DO know about which high school u come from and consider it a little bit.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:58 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!
tis true, i went to elk grove high shool and i got into ucd cause i talked about my horrible expereinces in my personal statment ha ha.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:16 PM

Car Info: Subaru?
man im currently doin math hw and its such a struggle. i never understand this crap until the right before a test. its always stress stress stress then for some reason i understand it later, but not without a ton of stress.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:36 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!
/nelson/ ha ha ! /nelson/

God i am so lucky i bypassed all that math and science BS with nutrition and food science classes.
Old 03-03-2005, 04:30 AM

Car Info: '08 GT3/'08 Cayenne Turbo/'02 WRX Sedan/'95 E36 M3
Originally Posted by n192da
Unless you major in sociology. There are some taxi drivers in SF who are have that degree.
hey! don't diss sociology.

i haven't read through all the posts on here (too lazy)
but i'll give my thoughts:

i agree that major doesn't mean a whole lot so long as you pick something you enjoy you'll do well, and you'll end up happier overall. i majored in biology, stuck around for a masters in sociology, and now i work at an investment bank (finance/econ). not related to either fields of study.

i have to disagree slightly about the doesn't matter where you go comment (not to place any more pressure on you since everything is out of your hands now), but while u may learn the same material and get equally broad and in depth educations from different institutions, what a "top name" school can get you lies in opportunities. for example the alumni network or recognition... (i.e. if you want to go into consulting for example bcg - boston consulting group - only hires from top 10 schools) however, if you do go to a top school and do poorly, you're better off going to a #40 school and shining... top name schools also let you get acquainted with nobel prize winners, etc.

contrary to what i thought and how i spent my college years: gpa does matter slightly depending on your profession. when i got out, i had a crappy gpa and it made job hunting rather difficult. and while college is a time to have a blast and party hard... one of my biggest regrets about college is that i did NOT attend lectures... and i did NOT get to know my professors... which made attending a top name school useless. (i should have just gone to foothill) and if you don't get into the top school you really wanted, you can consider waiting another year then applying again, or appealing to them i had friends who appealed several times and the school finally let them in (persistance can be a real winner), and i've had friends who waited a year, joined the peace corp, came back and got accepted to their first choice....

i agree with people on the go to a school away from home. (unless you can handle being by your parents). being in a different location forces you to grow up and become independent. and can make you learn how to depend on yourself and others.

and lastly, i remember the whole application process really being a crap shoot... you'll get into schools you didn't think you would, and get rejected from those you thought you might. i applied to 11 schools back in the day (4.35 weight gpa, 1410 sat, don't remember sat ii scores)... got rejected from uc berkeley, pomono, harvard, brown, yale... but got into mit, stanford, ucsd, boston university, wellesley... and wait listed at cornell... the whole process made me cry since i heard from ucb and pomona first... i thought i was screwed.... but, the take home message is: you never know.

so all in all: don't worry about it. everything is out of your hands now. all you can do is make the best of wherever you end up. study hard, but remember to also play hard. enjoy your years in college. good luck!
Old 03-20-2005, 05:43 PM

Hey guys, a little update for those who care....I did not get into UCLA or UCSD (wasn't really expecting it) and Berkeley is not out yet but since I did not get into either, I probably won't make it to Cal. Also, Cal Poly rejected me and I haven't heard from Irvine yet, but I did make it to Davis, SB, SC, Merced, Riverside. I am really happy I got into Davis and I will be attending it next year, I am very excited about it. So, I know a few people go to Davis, probably all hanging out in the Sacramento forums, but yeah I hope I get to meet some of them since I think I will be getting a WRX, hopefully...

Quick Reply: Hey guys, off topic..but do you guys remember college?