Hey guys, off topic..but do you guys remember college?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 11:17 PM

Anteaters!
Old 02-27-2005, 11:48 PM

Car Info: 2005 STi Silver
Originally Posted by AWD 20T
2.7 GPA in high school with a 1430 SAT score and I am currently at a local Junior College. I just didn't give a rats *** about school back then and I'm paying for it now.

wat, obviously you are a bright person...1430 is pretty impressive, and yeah..even though a person is smart..gpa does not really reflect that...which sucks cuz the colelges measure that heavily.
Old 02-27-2005, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by STi-owns-evo
I'm waiting on acceptance letters, but I'm not sweating it. Some CSUs have sent letters a while ago, and I'm already into Pomona and Fullerton w/ ~3.3 GPA and a 1280 SATs. Since I SHOULD go to a polytechnic school for my major, Pomona doesn't sound too bad for me, though just because UCI's campus and atmosphere is so much better I want to go there. :crossesfingers:

man, im with a 3.2 gpa, 1320 sat, sat 2's werent so hot..650, 610, 680, and im not feeeling too strongly about getitng into where i wanna go..which is davis right now...ucla and ucsd and ucb,..i can forget about, and irvine and riverside and sb and sc..im not so sure iwanna go there. hopefully cal poly san luis obisqo accepts me but..i dunno. and i know for a fact taht u dont need to go to a good college to be successful at all. im just worried about my parents..and friends and everyone else because people judge you a lot based on what school u go to and ****, but i know a good college doesnt mean ****, but it'll make life so much easier.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:30 AM

Car Info: with the blinkers on
I'm a senior in high school and I'm not tripping. I've applied to Oregon, UPacific, SMU, NYU, Tulane, Notre Dame, UCB, UCD, UCSC, UCSB, UCSD, CSUSLO, ASU (whoopdeedoo, if you have an 1100 or a 3.0 GPA, you're in, no essay or anything) I go to a private prep school in the nicer 'burbs of the bay, got a ****ty GPA 3.0 or less I think, mediocre SAT scores and even worse SAT 2 scores, but I know that I'll do okay. AS for the college process, it sucks, all paperwork and stuff.....BORING and the way the college process slowly eats away at you, but as winter passes, it either gets worse or you sort of give up and resign to fate( this is what I deduced from my peers) but I'm totally chillin' about the process. So far, I've heard from ASU and SMU, I don't really know why I applied to ASU, maybe because its the king of all backups and if I didn't get in anywhere else, I could drink my misery away(needless to say I got in). As for SMU, a fairly respectable college (the USC of the south from what I hear) I got in, so that made me pretty happy. I get a really mixed reaction from me ex-senior friends now college-freshman, a dude I know who goes to Cal says it's such a waste of time, academically, he is being pushed, but it's nothing like the prep school he says, the people he knows are all really dorky and study all the time, they're the type that aren't really smart or bright but just study and the school is full of hardons trying to act cool. but from friends in the ivy league and on the east coast (Bucknell, MIT, Harvard, Princeton, Tulane, Columbia) they say it's the ****ing time of their lives. The same can be said for those in SoCal.

So there you have it, all my college experience in a neat little paragraph. Glad, I could get it off my chest. I know I shouldn't say this in this thread or even forum, but I have learned the hard way, save the weed for the mundane filling out stuff, Don't blaze for the essay, it also helps if you had an educated college counselor(something a f-ing prep school wouldn't even provide, but for reason I will not divulge into)
Old 02-28-2005, 12:30 AM
mot
Likes The Color Purple

Car Info: plug-in prius
Originally Posted by SkylineR35GTRx
man, im with a 3.2 gpa, 1320 sat, sat 2's werent so hot..650, 610, 680, and im not feeeling too strongly about getitng into where i wanna go..which is davis right now...ucla and ucsd and ucb,..i can forget about, and irvine and riverside and sb and sc..im not so sure iwanna go there. hopefully cal poly san luis obisqo accepts me but..i dunno. and i know for a fact taht u dont need to go to a good college to be successful at all. im just worried about my parents..and friends and everyone else because people judge you a lot based on what school u go to and ****, but i know a good college doesnt mean ****, but it'll make life so much easier.

im at cal poly slo. i hope you get in man. i was in your shoes about a year ago. haha. wat is your intended major?
Old 02-28-2005, 02:03 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
College + Me =

Old 02-28-2005, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by mot
im at cal poly slo. i hope you get in man. i was in your shoes about a year ago. haha. wat is your intended major?

thanks man, i wanna do mechanical engineering, but after thikning about it some more...i thikn i wanna go be a dentist...for the money =(

did you get into davis? or apply?
Old 02-28-2005, 01:45 PM

Car Info: 03 MBP WRX
thanks man, i wanna do mechanical engineering, but after thikning about it some more...i thikn i wanna go be a dentist...for the money =(

I suggest that you don't pick your major based on salary. You can make as much money as you want in any profession. A person that loves their job and is dedicated to their career will make more money and be happier than someone that picked their career b/c they thought they were going to get rich. If you want to be an engineer don't be persuaded by $ to do something you don't have a passion for. Good luck with your future decisions! Remember the cliche "$ isn't everything"...its true!
Old 02-28-2005, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by mbquarts
I suggest that you don't pick your major based on salary. You can make as much money as you want in any profession. A person that loves their job and is dedicated to their career will make more money and be happier than someone that picked their career b/c they thought they were going to get rich. If you want to be an engineer don't be persuaded by $ to do something you don't have a passion for. Good luck with your future decisions! Remember the cliche "$ isn't everything"...its true!
Unless you major in sociology. There are some taxi drivers in SF who are have that degree.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:10 PM

Car Info: Subaru?
im a 05 hs senior too. senior year is actually VERY stressfull. i came into it thinkin it would be just a year but to kick back n relax, but so far it has been the most stress filled year of my life. i have 3.67 and 1260sat (my sat ii's were all in 520-650ish range) and i got accepted into riverside cal poly and santa cruz; just like u im waiting for the bigger ones like irvine davis and santa barbra to show up... at least im lucky enough to have a wrx!

"im just worried about my parents..and friends and everyone else because people judge you a lot based on what school u go to and ****"

dam i know EXACTLY how u f***ing feel!!

(o yea u sure have a lotta posts for not even owning a wrx, i remeber the time i used to dream of one, yea those were the days)

Last edited by WRXakaBooSTi; 03-01-2005 at 05:19 PM.
Old 03-01-2005, 06:57 PM

wow, you already have a wrx? yeah, man..i thought senior was ognna be a breeze..but its harder than junior year..****! oh man, i got into uc santa cruz and riverside too...havent heard anything from cal poly yet ,but i think ill do ok...even though their application didnt give me a chance to show what im all baout..they jsut ask for ur gpa and sat 1's. as i am ...waiting for the davis irvine santa barbara ...then maybe i have a chance for uc san diego..i know for sure i dont have a chance for ucla or cal..oh well. yeah i am crazy about the WRX ...i remember seeing a whole pack of them one day and i found out about i-club..before they split up...been obsessed every since..still waiting for mine though.
Old 03-01-2005, 07:29 PM

Car Info: Subaru?
yea the wrx is a great car for its class. only car that i thought twice about was a rsx type s.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:13 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX Wagon (RIP)

I just got into dental school, start in July. Most people I know that chose dentistry over say medicine or nursing is because of the lifestyle. If you keep your GPA around a 3.5 and don't choke on the DAT, you should get into just about every school out there.

Keep in mind that you'll be in a lot of debt when you get out. Average dentist graduates with $130k+. I'll prolly be in the $200k area because I'm choosing to go to a private school. You really won't be making much money until you set up your own practice and are pretty established, which prolly takes 10 years or so. So if you're looking to make money fast, prolly wanna look at something else like I-banking.

Oh and to answer your original question. Yeah, I remember waiting to hear back from schools. Damn Berkeley envelope didn't even show up until April 2nd, but they let me in so I went. I wish I didn't get fooled by the name and chose a smaller school. Don't worry about what your friends or family think, cuz the name will never make you forget how much you don't like a school if you chose it for the wrong reasons. Biggest thing is to find the right fit for you.

Where do you go to high school btw? cuz your SATs are pretty decent, but looks like your school screwed you on GPA.

Good luck.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:22 AM

they sure did **** up my grades!! i go to stupid Lowell stupid ******* school..i hate this school. if only i went to lincoln or sacred heart...man. and i bet if i went elsewhere..i wouldve had more confidence in myself and done better on the sats!
Old 03-02-2005, 11:22 AM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
Had a 3.8 (weighted) out of hs with 1440 on the SAT, graduated in 2000. I applied to UCLA, UCSD, UCD, and UCSC...got into UCD and UCSC but not the other two. So I appealed the other two, and ended up getting in to all 4 schools. Choose UCLA, it was cool, and now I have to do all the same crap over this fall when I apply to grad schools...good luck with your apps.

Quick Reply: Hey guys, off topic..but do you guys remember college?