Hey guys, off topic..but do you guys remember college?

Old 02-27-2005, 05:29 PM

Car Info: 2005 STi Silver
Hey guys, off topic..but do you guys remember college?

I'm in highschool..and it's about that time with acceptance stuff. Wow am I freaking scared. Especially when people already got their stuff from UCLA and Cal Poly and stuff already, and i don't have anything. How many of you guys are in my shoes right now? and How many remember that time? I am so scared its like...I can't do anything. Did you guys make it to the schools u didnt think you would make it too? or not make it to the ones you thought you were gonna make it? What schools did you all get into? I guess its a bit useless asking what ur scores and stuff were..cuz its so much different now..so hard to get into anywhere. and if i get into a decent college...wrx here i come, hopefully.
Old 02-27-2005, 05:47 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!
i think its safe to say you the only one going thru that right now on i-clubbbbbbbbbb
damn you are young ha ha.
Old 02-27-2005, 05:50 PM

Car Info: 2005 STi Silver
lol, aw man, well...being young is...cool..yeah..
Old 02-27-2005, 05:51 PM
VIP Member

dont worry, this is what backup colleges are for...... goooooooooooooooooooooooooo jr college go !!!!111111111111
Old 02-27-2005, 05:58 PM
VIP Member

fine ill play.
~3.78 out of HS in 02
applied to ucd and csus, got into both.
now that i think about it i think i could have applied to berkely and other schools and i think i could have gotte in... my personal statment was pretty good...

whatever, worrying doesnt do you any good. so lighten the **** up and be happy dammit.
Old 02-27-2005, 07:35 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2009 G Ride
2.7 GPA in high school with a 1430 SAT score and I am currently at a local Junior College. I just didn't give a rats *** about school back then and I'm paying for it now.
Old 02-27-2005, 08:06 PM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

come to where all the fun is... cal state hayward.

quarterly i-club meets....
Old 02-27-2005, 08:08 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: RIP: 04 WRB SEDAN Now Rollin' in STi
never really decided to go into a UC or a CSU, cuz i knew i didnt have the credentials or scores when i was in HS. so i always told myself im gonna start off at the JC. one, it cost less *at least when i first started there* two: i didnt have this big weight on my shoulder being in a UC or CSU with all these big head hanchos. i weighed my options out and JC was best suited for me.

my brother is in his first year at riverside and he went through a lotta sh*t just to get in. something i wasnt looking forward too.
JC ALL THE WAY!?!?

good luck with everything and remember to enjoy your last few months in HS.

-Ave
Old 02-27-2005, 08:08 PM

Car Info: 2009 A3 2.0T quattro
I did get into my #1 school...of course, I had the scores and the grades to do it. Its mostly a crap shoot, and to be hinest, my having gone to the #4 school doesn't give me a significantly better education than the #50 school....

My pont is not to stress too much about where you go. The quality of education at Harvard is not that much better (if at all) than, say Grinnel or WUSTL. As long as its a decent school and not something like Nova Southwestern.

Last edited by mcowger; 02-27-2005 at 08:12 PM.
Old 02-27-2005, 08:17 PM

im in college and i dont' even remember it
Old 02-27-2005, 08:59 PM
VIP Member

yah no use stressing over something you have no control over.
jc is the way to go, just dont get stuck in it, or you'll be there for a while haha.
i used to beleive education is the same whereever you go, but im not sure i beleive that anymore...
gluck, im sure you'll get into somwhere haha
Old 02-27-2005, 09:07 PM

Car Info: WRB '02 WRX
Originally Posted by Daredevil
im in college and i dont' even remember it
That's how you know you're really there!

SkylineR35GTRx,

That was a LONG time ago, for me... But I remember the nerves and the long wait still. Basicly, nothing is gonna chill you out untill you get the answers you are waiting for, but I can try to give you some "old persons" perspective on it, and maybe that will help:

It dosn't matter one rude, silent fart where you get in.

Years ago, I started out at a small private college in Oregon, that I really didn't think I stood a chance of getting into... got lucky and wrote a good essay. I wound up studying mathematics, which I HATED in high school. I ended up a few years later, after a transfer to UCSC, getting a degree in something (Geology) that I would never have immagined studying when I was 18.

And now I work in a field (I'm a winemaker) that is totally unrelated to anything I studied at either school.

You will, like me and most other people, probably not wind up doing what you studied in college.

It's not WHAT you learn, it's HOW BROADLY you learn.

When I was at UCSC, I had a realization about school in general: you get from it what you TAKE from it... If you go to any half-decent JC with a real, self-driven determination to learn things, and you really persue it (read all the books, ask all the questions you think of, ect.), you will get more out of it than thousands and freakin' THOUSANDS of kids at "good" schools who are just doing what is expected of them and no more.

It only matters where you go if you are only in it for the diploma.

And a diploma is worth exactly squat if you can't convince a prospective employer that you are a bright, articulate, socially functional human being... If you can do that, then just about ANY diploma will do.

[/old-fart-lecture]

One last piece of advice...
If you have a choice, go somewhere far from your parents. (And with good roads!)

Good luck, young jedi
M

Last edited by BluBuru; 02-27-2005 at 09:09 PM.
Old 02-27-2005, 09:39 PM

Car Info: it's nice
i think college is a lot like what people say about the 70's; if you remember college, you didn't go to college.
Old 02-27-2005, 10:34 PM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
I'm waiting on acceptance letters, but I'm not sweating it. Some CSUs have sent letters a while ago, and I'm already into Pomona and Fullerton w/ ~3.3 GPA and a 1280 SATs. Since I SHOULD go to a polytechnic school for my major, Pomona doesn't sound too bad for me, though just because UCI's campus and atmosphere is so much better I want to go there. :crossesfingers:
Old 02-27-2005, 11:14 PM

First stop stressing over it. You can't do anything now.

There are two roads you can take.

1) if you don't get into the schools that you really want to go to, then JC is a good choice to try again to those schools.

2) if you are not that concerned about going to your top choice(s) but still got into a good school that you don't mind going to.... then go. There is one thing that people miss about the JC route. It is still school. You still have to work hard to transfer. Where if you are in a university already; you just have to graduate.

I completely agree with who ever said that it is what you take from it. Don't think of it is getting thru to get that degree. Learn and explore both academically and socially.

damn I feel old. I went thru this back in 92.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hey guys, off topic..but do you guys remember college?