help with vehicle registration URGENT!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 12:15 PM

Car Info: 2006 STI
Originally Posted by Subadubaru
completely aware of that and i have been doing my research. my experiences with DMV have never been pleasant and my only reason for posting here is to see if someone had information/knowledge of the situation prior to the inevitable of contacting DMV regarding the situation.
I completely understand as i have been in your shoes before and was given all sorts of advice and answers from people. Then i went to the dmv and was told something completely different and they even dropped some back fee's. Being nice and making jokes with the dmv employee can go a long way. I have had great experiences and crappy ones at the dmv and not a single bad exp was from me being polite and nice, it was more when i was already irritated and annoyed and i let it show. so no matter what keep a smile and be nice/polite. best of luck.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:17 PM

Car Info: 03/05/06 WRX with some STI parts :- P
thanks!
Old 04-09-2013, 02:15 PM

is anyone familiar with the vehicle code section 9562?

ive read it and believe that i understand the legal jargon but just curious if anyone here has seen, dealt with, or have knowledge of this vehicle code.

thanks
Old 04-09-2013, 02:56 PM

from: V C Section 9562 Waiver of Penalties and Registration Fees

" Waiver of Penalties and Registration Fees

9562. (a) When a transferee or purchaser of a vehicle applies for transfer of registration, as provided in Section 5902, and it is determined by the department that registration penalties accrued prior to the purchase of the vehicle, and that the transferee or purchaser was not cognizant of the nonpayment of the fees for registration for the current or prior registration years, the department may waive the registration penalties upon payment of the fees for registration due.

(b) Other provisions of this code notwithstanding, the director may, at his or her discretion, investigate into the circumstances of any application for registration to ascertain if penalties had accrued through no fault or intent of the owner. If the director determines that the circumstances justify it, he or she may waive any penalties upon payment of the fees for registration then due.

(c) When a transferee or purchaser of a vehicle applies for transfer of registration of a vehicle, and it is determined by the department that fees for registration of the vehicle for any year are unpaid and due, that the fees became due prior to the transfer or purchase of the vehicle by the transferee or purchaser and that the transferee or purchaser was not cognizant of the fact that the fees were unpaid and due, the department may waive the fees and any penalty thereon if the license plate assigned to the vehicle displays a validating device issued by the department and the validating device contains the year number of the registration year for which the transferee or purchaser is requesting a waiver of fees and penalties.

(d) Upon the transfer of a vehicle for which fees for registration and any penalties thereon are unpaid and due, the fees and penalties are, notwithstanding the provisions of Article 6 (commencing with Section 9800) of this chapter, the personal debt of the transferor of the vehicle who did not pay the fees and penalties when they became due or accrued.

The fees and penalties may be collected by the department in an appropriate civil action if the department has waived the fees and penalties pursuant to subdivision (c).
Amended Ch. 223, Stats. 1993. Effective January 1, 1994. "
Old 04-09-2013, 03:00 PM

Car Info: 1999 Legacy Brighton
Has the car ever been registered in CA? I've registered a couple of out of state cars - they only care about what your paperwork says regarding the import date.

If you've had the car less than one year, you will owe CA some sales tax on top of the registration fees.

Jim
Old 04-09-2013, 03:06 PM

yeah the car has been in ca and did have back fees on it... thats the reason it is an out of state vehicle now.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:35 PM
rau
Something Custom

Car Info: You guys mad.
/thread