Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 08:12 AM
This Guy Can Hella Draw!

Car Info: '14 MBP FXT | '03 WW Evo VIII
Sorry to hear that. Good Luck Lisa.
Old 03-15-2004, 07:34 PM

Car Info: 03 sedan 2nd wrx
Originally posted by DWNSHFT
If I say that I let some borrow my car and they parked it in 1st and when I came to the car I remote started it would the premium go up since its an accident?
Anyone know?
Old 03-15-2004, 08:21 PM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

first, you can sue the person or company that installed the remote start.

there is a mechanism in the remote start that should sense the gear and this shoulda have prevented the car from starting...
Old 03-16-2004, 11:58 AM
I <3 White Girls

Car Info: E92 M3, E70, F32, E21
Originally posted by DWNSHFT
If I say that I let some borrow my car and they parked it in 1st and when I came to the car I remote started it would the premium go up since its an accident?
No you cannot. In California it is illegal to have a remote start system on ANY manual transmission car..yes ILLEGAL....It didn't stop me from getting one either, but it probably won't hold up in court

Originally posted by ldivinag
first, you can sue the person or company that installed the remote start.

there is a mechanism in the remote start that should sense the gear and this shoulda have prevented the car from starting...
He can't sue himself
Old 03-16-2004, 01:12 PM

Car Insurance -- you can PM me if needed -- as I am an auto insurance adjuster it's never good to commit insurance Fraud -- and filing a false police report is illegal and a felony. No need to turn an accident into a felony.
Basically - if you are found to be more than 50% at fault for an accident (in Ca) then you are at fault for the loss and you can get an accident surcharge on your record.
If you are less than 50% at fault (check with your insurance) then you don't get an accident surcharge (but if you have multi policy discounts then you can loose them). If you are 0% at fault then you should never see your insurance rates go up.

I get a lot of claims where people claim "hit and run" or "I swerved to avoid an animal in the road", or "another vehicle was changing into my lane and a tried to avoid it, then struck the wall..." "I had my car parked, came back and saw this damage." I do not require a police report for these types of losses.
I do look to see if the damage you claim is consistant with your story, and generally won't put you at fault for the accident.

In Ca, the statue of limitation on PD is 3 years... although it can raise a red flag, when you report the claim does not matter (esp if it's single vehicle collision, then insurance has no way of knowing when the accident occured.

Repair shops... where are you, near Davis? I don't know of many shops in that area, but if you are going to be in the Bay Area then I can give you some ideas.

What you can do for repairs is, depending on the amount of damages and severity of them, you can have your insurance write an estimate and cut you a check, if it's a fair estimate you can bring it to any body shop you want and tell them what you want to have done. If you want a carbon fiber hood, you may need to pay the difference but the labor and paint should all be the included in your insurances estimate. Sometimes you can have the vehicle repaired for less than estimated (may have to cut corners). I bought a short shift kit and sway bar in lou of getting a new bumper (instead had it repaired -- almost as good as new and can't notice)...

Good luck and drive safe.
Old 03-16-2004, 01:17 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: $200,000 sports car
dewdrops12, are there any legal issues with not reporting an accident and settling privately? sorry to hijack.
Old 03-16-2004, 01:23 PM
I <3 White Girls

Car Info: E92 M3, E70, F32, E21
Originally posted by RussB
dewdrops12, are there any legal issues with not reporting an accident and settling privately? sorry to hijack.
If damage exceeds $500, a repost MUST be filed with DMV.

Ofcourse if u don't and stuff comes into question u can always say "It only cost me $498.76 to repair"
Old 03-16-2004, 01:29 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
I would advise against letting your insurance company cut you a check based on an estimate. Costs almost always INCREASE over the original estimate when it comes to body work and you could get hosed.
Old 03-16-2004, 01:46 PM

No legal issues with settling privately. Nothing illegal about.

Must file an SR1 form with DMV for more than $750 of property damage or any injury -- DMV just wants to make sure you have a valid insurance policy but they are not interested in the facts of the accident.

Sonic -- you are right, most of the time your insurance estimate will be less, but it also can give you more flexibilty on the repairs. also, if your insurance estimate does not cover the cost of repairs then the repair shop you choose can submit a supplement for additional damages. you are not stuck with your insurances estimate...
Old 03-16-2004, 02:47 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
Originally posted by dewdrops12

Sonic -- you are right, most of the time your insurance estimate will be less, but it also can give you more flexibilty on the repairs. also, if your insurance estimate does not cover the cost of repairs then the repair shop you choose can submit a supplement for additional damages. you are not stuck with your insurances estimate...
good info, man, thanks.
Old 03-16-2004, 06:41 PM

Car Info: 03 sedan 2nd wrx
Well I just gave my last payment on my current insurance if I claime this now and go to a diffrent insurance company instead of renewing it the new place cant tell if there is no DMV record right??