Have you faced an Ethical Dilemma before? Need a good explanation

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 01:13 AM

Car Info: 2003 WRX
Originally Posted by Heedz

ok easiest to relate to but i cant think of any in my life :/ I need a spark to my memory.

BTW this is a serious question... I have a huge interview tomorrow
Ahh I see now.

"Heedz, tell us about an ethical dilemma you have encountered and the final decision that you made. How did you come to making this decision.. Etc etc"

Keep in mind that if the decision that you made was base on what other people would think of you, it may not be a true "ethical dilemma". IMO a true ethical dilemma will be one in which nobody else knows what you chose to do.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:14 AM

Car Info: EQ Tuned * Corn Juiced '05 WRX
ok easiest to relate to but i cant think of any in my life :/ I need a spark to my memory.

BTW this is a serious question... I have a huge interview tomorrow

Goodluck man, let me know how it goes. You got my number.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:16 AM

Car Info: EQ Tuned * Corn Juiced '05 WRX
Originally Posted by Superusdm
Ahh I see now.

"Heedz, tell us about an ethical dilemma you have encountered and the final decision that you made. How did you come to making this decision.. Etc etc"

Keep in mind that if the decision that you made was base on what other people would think of you, it may not be a true "ethical dilemma". IMO a true ethical dilemma will be one in which nobody else knows what you chose to do.

Exactly. What you perceive to be an ethical dilemma is different than what someone else might perceive it to be.

So, technically, there is no right or wrong answer to an ethical dilemma...you just have to justify your answer. As long as you backup what you're saying, you're golden.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:41 AM
aka FlukeWRX

Car Info: '03 WRX WRB Sedan
Originally Posted by DarkJuic3b0x
Exactly. What you perceive to be an ethical dilemma is different than what someone else might perceive it to be.

So, technically, there is no right or wrong answer to an ethical dilemma...you just have to justify your answer. As long as you backup what you're saying, you're golden.
"Stay Golden Pony Boy!"
Old 03-01-2013, 02:03 AM

Car Info: Nadda
Yea, I agree with the notion that there is no wrong answer. They're looking into your reasoning of the answer.

Make a statement, give consideration to the opposing view and their pros and cons, then state your answer and slap dem reasons down and how they relate with the bigger cause.

Driving cars pollute the world, but we do it anyways to make more things accessible and faster than any other means of transportation. We in a sense are polluting the world by choice or are we not? Can you make do staying green? Walk/Bike to work?

Just a sad argument that I figure is easiest for everyone here to relate to. I like the Firemen watching the dude drown as a better ethical dilemma story to consider. That one is plane as day...

This also relates back to Socrates. If a guy is driving to kill you, chasing you. You run a stop sign to avoid dying but you made that choice to break the law at that time to save yourself from greater danger, but get pulled over by the cop. The cop questions you about why you ran the light, and you justify it was because you were threatened by your life. Should the cop bust you on an ticket for breaking the law? Or would they understand that there could be a higher law than the road laws at this point when your being chased and your life is in danger?

Prove it.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:13 AM

Car Info: 2008 SSM WRX Premium
I'll break one down for you in a Fire/EMS situation.

You have a pulse less/apnic 92 YOF with family on scene, family states she has had a down time of only 5 min prior to calling 9-1-1. She has no DNR and no signs of obvious death.

The ethical dilemma is do you intubate, IV, Meds, shock if needed then transport or start BLS CPR and consult county base to receive termination of CPR and a time of death in the field.

That is going to be a major factor in the EMS world....

Do I give the family false hope and do everything that I can to save Grandma so she can be in a vegative state for the next months-years or do
I contact base for determination of death and explain to the family that she has been expired for too long and their is nothing that you can do to revive her.

I hope this helps as I am sure your interview is for Fire/EMS since you carry turnouts in your Subie like me! Lmao...

Good luck!
Old 03-01-2013, 05:42 AM

Car Info: 2003 WRX
Great example. You are a professional and the decision is yours, and only yours, with ethics playing a large roll.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:09 AM

Car Info: 04 Forester XT and 06 WRX TR
I was asked the same question during my interview for a promotion in upper management. I dont believe there is a right or wrong answer to that question as long as your answer is relevant and you have something to back up that answer.

I dont know what kind of answer they are looking for but for my recent interview, I stated the following.

-Employee violated safety protocols and ended up hurting himself in the process.
-Prior to the incident, the employee's previous supervisor already placed him on a final warning for a similar incident.
-Now I am faced with either terminating him for violating our company's code of business conduct or let him slide and reinstate the warning since it was his previous supervisor's decision to place him on a final warning, not myself.

I too was concerned about this form of question. So I asked one of the interviewers what the correct answer was, and he said there wasnt any right or wrong answers. It was to gauge how you react to such questions since it really does make u think about your decision, under pressure. You should be fine. Your question was defined several times in this thread, but defining the question is just the first step to answering it. Provide a solid scenario and follow it up with some solid reasoning behind why you chose that path.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:13 AM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
Thanks guys helped me out for sure. I have a couple scenarios on mind that I can use.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:17 AM

Car Info: 07 UGM FXT
Thanks guys helped me out for sure. I have a couple scenarios on mind that I can use.
Good luck bro!
Old 03-03-2013, 07:42 PM

answered to the best of my abilities and seemed like the answer was accepted lol
Old 03-03-2013, 07:49 PM

Car Info: DGM BRZ
Congratulations Heedz. Hope you get the job. Keep us posted.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:52 PM

Last interviews are tomorrow. I think we will have some sorta clue who's going onto backgrounds and medicals by friday.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:09 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX hatchback Automatic SONNNNN!
Originally Posted by Gancherov
This one time I saw a really dumb thread and I was like "Should I try to explain to this dumbass why the answer is obvious or should I troll this thread?" After giving it some thought, here is a picture of a spider.

hahahha amazing website.....