Has anyone ever tried "Sea Foam"?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 11:28 PM

Car Info: it's nice
half in crank case and half in gas tank. Nothing in intake lines.
Old 07-28-2005, 12:57 AM

Car Info: Twin WRX Turbo VR-4
your not supposed to put it in your oil for that long. You should put it in there like 1 or 2 days before you get your oil changed out... maybe thats your problem :|, try changing your oil
Old 07-28-2005, 01:56 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
I've never tried putting the stuff directly in my oil... so I think that's the problem Rocket Man is having. Change that stuff out asap! I did use it in my gas with no problems and poured directly into the throttle body with no issues.

Thanks
Old 07-28-2005, 08:47 AM

Car Info: it's nice
Smile

must have misread the fine print.
Yes, it stopped smoking. First gear driving helped.
Thanks for the help.

Last edited by Rocket Man; 07-28-2005 at 09:37 AM.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:38 AM

Car Info: Suby/EVO
i've heard a lot of people used it and it seems like everyone likes it....
Old 07-28-2005, 11:43 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
I have used it in every car of mine so far. I always do the vacuum into the intake thing. I have only put it in the oil once and I used it like a motor-flush - drove aound for about 15 minutes, came back and changed the oil. Running it through the manifold makes wicked smoke for about 10 minutes, then it's completely gone. My Pops said he puts it in his gas tank occasionally and only when he knows he will use all the gas in one go (like a trip).
Old 07-28-2005, 07:08 PM

Car Info: Twin WRX Turbo VR-4
Originally Posted by Rocket Man
must have misread the fine print.
Yes, it stopped smoking. First gear driving helped.
Thanks for the help.
so it fixed itself or you had your oil changed? (or changed it yourself)
Old 09-01-2005, 04:20 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
Ok, Im going to do this on my 2002 wrx wagon with 45K miles. Tell me if I got this right. For cleaning out carbon deposits:

Suck one bottle slowly through vacum line
Idle at 2000 rpms
Once bottle is gone turn off car for 5 min
Start up and massive smoke comes out tail pipe

That it??
Old 09-01-2005, 04:29 PM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

i would start with half a bottle and using the cap as the reservoir to suck the fluid from...
Old 09-06-2005, 02:37 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
Im about to replace my spark plugs...should I use the seafoam before or after??

Does it matter?
Old 09-07-2005, 12:07 AM

Car Info: '98 Legacy GT - EJ20 swap, STI RA tranny, VF22+
Seafoam rocks

I seafoamed the living hell out of my '89 Mazda 323 beater. Revved it up so it wouldn't die and poured like half of the bottle semi-slowly into the throttle body, shut it off for five minutes, started it back up, and it SMOKED LIKE A MOTHERF***ER for a good ten minutes. I was laughing my freaking *** off! Pulled into Safeway to grab some stuff on the way home -- I did the foaming in a random empty parking lot -- and it smoked out the entire parking lot. Hahahaha.

But the end result was a smoother-idling car with better response and better gas mileage. The rest went in the oil and a touch in the gas tank.

I then Seafoamed "the lake truck" with similar results.

The WRX is a lot trickier though because it's tough to get it into the intake manifold. You have to pour it in so it reaches all cylinders as evenly as possible, and there is no easily-accessible vacuum line that allows you to do that. I think the way to do it is to sneak a small hose through the throttle body intercooler hose deal and into the throttle body...

Kragen's doesn't usually have it. AutoZone always has though.

Jeremy

--- btw, because people always ask this, it's NOT foam. It's a very thin liquid. ...don't know why they call it that ...
Old 09-27-2005, 05:27 PM

I've used this stuff for well over 5 years now and it's by far one of the greatest products I've ever used. I use it regularly on my WRX and she loves it. And my car is pushing over 300whp.
Old 09-27-2005, 05:39 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by EJ20Legacy
Seafoam rocks

The WRX is a lot trickier though because it's tough to get it into the intake manifold. You have to pour it in so it reaches all cylinders as evenly as possible, and there is no easily-accessible vacuum line that allows you to do that. I think the way to do it is to sneak a small hose through the throttle body intercooler hose deal and into the throttle body...

Kragen's doesn't usually have it. AutoZone always has though.

Jeremy

--- btw, because people always ask this, it's NOT foam. It's a very thin liquid. ...don't know why they call it that ...
Yes, it does rock. They called it seafoam because it was originally used and made for marine applications.

I never had a problem with the WRX - there is a vacuum hose right on the front of the manifold plenum that will evenly distribute it. I used a longer hose into a cup of measured seafoam, and a zip-tie end stuck under the throttle stop works perfectly to hold the idle at the right spot. The RS is wicked easy tho, as you just pour it into the PCV hose. I always got mine at NAPA auto parts.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:08 PM

Question: How long do you guys run it in your oil? Do you leave it in or pour it in right before you change the oil? I've always ran it thru my gas or a vacumm line.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:40 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by island_son
Question: How long do you guys run it in your oil? Do you leave it in or pour it in right before you change the oil? I've always ran it thru my gas or a vacumm line.
I personally have only left it in the oil for 10 minutes or so like a motor flush, and I have only done this once. It will really thin out the oil, so I don't like to leave it in too long. I have done the vacuum line thing on every car I have owned for the last 5 years (over 10).

Quick Reply: Has anyone ever tried "Sea Foam"?