Got Pulled For Front Tint In Sf

Old 08-08-2008, 09:44 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Impossible to read, but going by the title I figure you got a fix-it ticket for front tint.

That really sucks... I recently got the same ticket in Vacaville. I pulled up to a stop sign and a motorcycle cop pulls up across from me. I make a complete stop and we pass each other in the intersection. Then I see the bike cop make a U-turn in the middle of the street, over a double yellow, right by a blind crest (smart). He follows me and pulls me over... I pretty much pulled over as soon as I saw him turn around.

At this point I figure he's going to get me for no front plate, tinted windows, modified exhaust, etc as I had not made any traffic violations. The cop asks if I knew why he pulled me over, I honestly say I'm not sure and he proceeds to explain that he pulled me over solely because of my front tint. FYI, my front tint it lighter than the back and light enough to where you can easily see inside the car (I believe that's the main reason we have the law in the first place). I don't know the exact numbers on the tint since the car came tinted when I bought it. Anyway, I tell the officer this and he still writes me a fix-it ticket just for the front tint. The shocker was that he didn't even mention my missing front plate and said nothing about exhaust or modifications (thankfully).

I just don't understand why a cop would perform a somewhat risky maneuver and waste his time to pull me over for nothing but tint?! I mean I could understand if he got me for speeding or not stopping or something real and then tacked on the tint ticket. But pulling me over for no other reason but the tint just seems like an awful waste of time and tax money.

/rant

Now does anyone know any friendly cops who will sign this off?
Old 08-08-2008, 09:47 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
What CVC did he write you up for?

DO you have receipts for what carlsen installed?
Old 08-08-2008, 09:49 AM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
The legal limit of california, is basically the tint that makes your windows slightly green to reduce glare for the front 3 (windshield, and 2 front windows). Anything is okay on the back three (or 5 depending on sedan or wagon).

Isn't the ticket only $10? Cool down...
Old 08-08-2008, 09:50 AM

Car Info: 04 STi
Cool

Ouch, reading that post hurt my head
Old 08-08-2008, 09:52 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by jewpac42
Caps make my head hurt. But the limit for front tint in California is 78%, that is basically clear. So if you have tint on the front and you get pulled over a ticketed for it, you have no right to complain. If you can't do the time, don't do the crime.

The book I have said 70% and so do a couple sites I see but I am doing some reading on this... where'd you get that number.

The CHP site says zero in its frequently asked questions.

but in the law there's this...
26708.2. Sun screening devices permitted by paragraph (10) of
subdivision (b) of Section 26708 shall meet the following
requirements:
(a) The devices shall be held in place by means allowing ready
removal from the window area, such as a frame, a rigid material with
temporary fasteners, or a flexible roller shade.
(b) Devices utilizing transparent material shall be green, gray,
or a neutral smoke in color and shall have a luminous transmittance
of not less than 35 percent.

so that says if its removeable it can be 35%???? WTF? California law makers get paid too much.

In another spot it says...
The material has a minimum visible light transmittance of 88 percent.

(2) The window glazing with the material applied meets all requirements
of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 205 (49 C.F.R. 571.205),
including the specified minimum light transmittance of 70 percent and
the abrasion resistance of AS-14 glazing, as specified in that federal
standard.

(3) The material is designed and manufactured to enhance the ability
of the existing window glass to block the sun's harmful ultraviolet A rays.

(4) The driver has in his or her possession, or within the vehicle,
a certificate signed by the installing company certifying that the
windows with the material installed meet the requirements of this
subdivision and identifies the installing company and the material's
manufacturer by full name and street address, or, if the material was
installed by the vehicle owner, a certificate signed by the material's
manufacturer certifying that the windows with the material installed
according to manufacturer's instructions meets the requirements of this
subdivision and identifies the material's manufacturer by full name
and street address.

I think they confuse themselves.

So you can't do it. It has to be 88%. It has to be 70%. It can't be any more than 35%.

What the hell.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:55 AM
cal

Car Info: 03
I predict big things for this thread
Old 08-08-2008, 09:56 AM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by STi-owns-evo
The legal limit of california, is basically the tint that makes your windows slightly green to reduce glare for the front 3 (windshield, and 2 front windows). Anything is okay on the back three (or 5 depending on sedan or wagon).

Isn't the ticket only $10? Cool down...
It's $10 if you take the tint off and get signed off. So you loose the money from the initial tint cost and the replacement tint cost or you can pay the fine which I think is under $150. But I don't know. It always changes.

(b) Devices utilizing transparent material shall be green, gray,
or a neutral smoke in color and shall have a luminous transmittance
of not less than 35 percent.

I think he's more pissed because he feels like he got a ticket he didn't deserve and was being harassed.

And please never type huge posts in all caps. It's annoying as hell to read.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:30 AM

Car Info: dc2
god damn thats some hard *** reading...

i would never drive my car to sf =( i know some ppl who get their **** wrecked just for parking around sf if not theft

cops :thumbdown: if they would actually stake out a modded honda in the middle of the night i'll bet they'll catch a whole thief ring rather then wasting time throwing out tickets to ppl w/ LEGIT mods (assuming it is legit)
Old 08-08-2008, 10:54 AM

Car Info: .
OP: congratulations, you've single handedly combined every bone headed way to communicate on the internet into two amazingly awesome posts.

Caps lock, zero punctuation, atrocious spelling, one huge run on sentence and my personal favorite, Every Word Is Equally Important So They All Get A Cap.

Old 08-08-2008, 10:55 AM
banned

Car Info: 2007 WRX Limited | vf43'D
Originally Posted by STi-owns-evo
The legal limit of california, is basically the tint that makes your windows slightly green to reduce glare for the front 3 (windshield, and 2 front windows). Anything is okay on the back three (or 5 depending on sedan or wagon)
That's exactly what the cop said to me when I got pulled over in my old car & cited for front tint.

Pay the $20 to get your tints removed, get the ticket signed off, pay the $10 fee, & move on. Oh...and never ever post in all caps again please.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:59 AM

Car Info: Nadda
i stopped reading cuz my eyes hurt, but any front window tint besides maybe the ones that block out the rays from the sun is illegal.

But the wrongfully stopping you for runnin' a stop sign looks like harassment =P
Old 08-08-2008, 11:13 AM
I don't need more cowbell dammit!

Car Info: E82
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
The book I have said 70% and so do a couple sites I see but I am doing some reading on this... where'd you get that number.

So you can't do it. It has to be 88%. It has to be 70%. It can't be any more than 35%.

What the hell.
I got it from memory, I thought that was what I remembered reading. I believe the 35% referrs to the removable shades, like you see shading babies from the sun, that stick to the window via a suction cup.

I think the other number refers to conventional window coverings that are stuck on "permanently" with an adhesive.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:19 AM
I survived the Mod Challenge and all I got was this lousy title

Car Info: ...zeh car drives you!
Originally Posted by Hong
god damn thats some hard *** reading...

i would never drive my car to sf =( i know some ppl who get their **** wrecked just for parking around sf if not theft

cops :thumbdown: if they would actually stake out a modded honda in the middle of the night i'll bet they'll catch a whole thief ring rather then wasting time throwing out tickets to ppl w/ LEGIT mods (assuming it is legit)
Are we referring to entire SF area or certain sections of it? Pardon for a question, but I am fairly new new to the area. I take Bart into downtown for work, but have limited my driving there unless I absolutely have to...

As far as tint, I think it really comes down to each individual officer regardless of the what is written in the code. I knew couple State Troopers back in IL (who were actually smart, unbiased and pursuing criminology and law degrees) and they always said there are bigger things to worry about than pull over people just trying to look good driving down the road. As long as it was not really dark tint where they could not see what was going in the car and the driver was not an *** on the road they paid no attention to it. For 2 years in IL I drove with 35% tint on my window with absolutely not a single incident because I am always careful...and IL allows for ZERO tint of any sort...

If he is not leaving out any details of the story, it is just a cop who rather make his quota writing BS tickets hoping people choose not to waste their time fighting it and just pay it Unfortunately, that's the game...
Old 08-08-2008, 11:22 AM

dude..my eyes..

I couldn't even finish what u were saying cause my eyez starting hurting..

Grammar is your friend not your enemy..FANBOYS
Old 08-08-2008, 11:22 AM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by jewpac42
I got it from memory, I thought that was what I remembered reading. I believe the 35% referrs to the removable shades, like you see shading babies from the sun, that stick to the window via a suction cup.

I think the other number refers to conventional window coverings that are stuck on "permanently" with an adhesive.
Yeah that's how I read it too. But then it talks about films and says both don't use it and you can use 88%... which is way up from what I remembered as well. Everything I've ever read and remembered was 70%. And that's what a lot of the tint pros go by too.

We need a sticky somewhere that has california laws of interest. I think I might have to take it upon myself to spend a couple days and do that. Maybe get a list together of what people want me to read up on and find.

Figure...

Cell laws.
Window tints.
Exhaust and Carb info.
Vehicle height.
Tires.
etc?

There's a lot of people that talk out of their *** then it goes around and people believe it and it creates a problem. With a thread like this it could give people some references for personal use and possibly help them in tickets/court cases.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Got Pulled For Front Tint In Sf