Does anyone have a subie with an aftermarket clutch & LIGHT WEIGHT FLYWHEEL?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 04:45 PM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: MY04 STi some call it a race car
on a 5spd the fly is 26.lbs. The lightweight flys start at 13.9lbs. (DAMN near 50% less rotating mass) and a huge improvement for shifting/feel/throttle response; especially on the 2.0L. Keep in mind this difference carries quite a bit of NVH on decell as well and it can be very annoying.

The 6spd has a 18lbs flywheel, the lightweight ones are 15lbs. THIS IS NOT EVEN CLOSE TO COMPARE a 5spd vs 6spd. Yes its a tad better but not worth it in our opinion for a daily driven street car.

our favorite combo for a 6spd is RPS clutch kit, stock flywheel, swepco gear oil..........ZERO complaints to date.

my $0.02

-Noah
Old 12-19-2009, 04:53 PM
Da Brit.

Car Info: http://tinyurl.com/3vo4362
Originally Posted by LICmotorsports
on a 5spd the fly is 26.lbs. The lightweight flys start at 13.9lbs. (DAMN near 50% less rotating mass) and a huge improvement for shifting/feel/throttle response; especially on the 2.0L. Keep in mind this difference carries quite a bit of NVH on decell as well and it can be very annoying.

The 6spd has a 18lbs flywheel, the lightweight ones are 15lbs. THIS IS NOT EVEN CLOSE TO COMPARE a 5spd vs 6spd. Yes its a tad better but not worth it in our opinion for a daily driven street car.

our favorite combo for a 6spd is RPS clutch kit, stock flywheel, swepco gear oil..........ZERO complaints to date.

my $0.02

-Noah
thanks Noah. Well dude there's your answer. The only thing driving my car will add to the picture is the demonstration of NVH on decel which is annoying while you break it in. Stiffer trans mount and motor mounts make this worse as you get sound/vibration transfer. Im broken in now so the chugging during decel has gotten quieter as I rack up miles.
Old 12-19-2009, 05:22 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX
Originally Posted by LICmotorsports
...our favorite combo for a 6spd is .....
-Noah
What do you guys prefer on the 5spd?

I'm currently using the oem setup, and although the clamping force still seems sufficient (at 84k with stg 2.5 ) I'm getting some of the '02 signature clutch/flywheel chatter so I'm thinking about upgrading sooner or later. The other thing is that I have replaced all of the major mounts (pitch,engine,trans,etc.) so would that make the negative effects of a light weight flywheel too pronounced for street use?
Old 12-19-2009, 05:36 PM
Former Sponsor

for 5spd we go OEM or RPS as well, and the option of a ACT flywheel is tossed around but beforehand customer is made aware of the NVH that comes with it. I have yet to see any 5spd with lightweight fly not be noisy, its not like its unbearable but its for sure annoying (I have a lightweight fly in my own car and cant stand decell noises).

in addition to this you need to think about why go with higher clamping force clutch if you dont need to; with it comes more shock load on the tranny gears and sychros. If you have a 02, you will need to treat it extra nice as those gears are weaker than the newer generations.

so to answer your question effectively, yes it tolerable for street...its a nice upgrade but it comes with side effects.

*and as John mentioned, the stiffer mounts excentuate this

-Noah

Last edited by LICmotorsports; 12-19-2009 at 05:38 PM.
Old 12-19-2009, 05:36 PM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
Hmm I Didn't realize that the 6-speeds FW was so light. Still learning about the STi.
At those weights, I would not change the flywheel either.

All the more $$ to spend on bushings
Old 12-19-2009, 05:40 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Lowend
Hmm I Didn't realize that the 6-speeds FW was so light. Still learning about the STi.
At those weights, I would not change the flywheel either.

All the more $$ to spend on bushings

-Noah
Old 12-19-2009, 06:23 PM

Car Info: '11 STI
i went with Noahs advice and stuck with a stock flywheel and i love my RPS setup on my 02 5spd. And use swepco that **** is bomb.
-vijay
Old 12-19-2009, 06:25 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by indolegend89
i went with Noahs advice and stuck with a stock flywheel and i love my RPS setup on my 02 5spd. And use swepco that **** is bomb.
-vijay
Good to hear buddy!

Hope all else is well

-Noah
Old 12-19-2009, 09:20 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
Haha, I want an RPS street max so bad but cant justify it when the stocker seems to be holding up great. 2004 STi with 50K miles and its still going strong after plenty of launching and tomfoolery.

I've been researching this a lot lately and I'm still not sure if I want a LWFW. I'm actually a bit surprised how many have experiences with decel noise.... it's not really mentioned on other forums and if it is, a bad install is blamed. I'm not much into extra rattle noises, Subarus come stock with those
Old 12-19-2009, 09:24 PM

Does anyone have experience with this? Outrageous price but looks cool. I posted it a few weeks ago....

Originally Posted by subie OCD
OK, I'm browsing though the SPT catalog that I got from the dealer and come across this STi lightweight flywheel.

It looks pretty cool, 3lbs lighter than stock so I searched the part number on subarugenuineparts.com and it comes to $845 ?!?

Last edited by subie OCD; 12-19-2009 at 09:27 PM.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:27 PM

What is chromium molybendenum anyways
Old 12-19-2009, 10:19 PM
Former Sponsor

I'm actually a bit surprised how many have experiences with decel noise.... it's not really mentioned on other forums and if it is, a bad install is blamed. I'm not much into extra rattle noises, Subarus come stock with those
the decel noise is isolated soley to the 5spd's, as mentioned before, this is a result of going from 26lbs (OEM) to 13.9lbs (Aftermarket) or lighter.

i've never heard of a 6spd making noise from a lightweight fly, as again, they aren't that much lighter than the OEM one

-Noah

Last edited by LICmotorsports; 12-19-2009 at 10:23 PM.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:23 PM

Car Info: Blown Transmissions
What is chromium molybendenum anyways
chrome moly!
Old 12-19-2009, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by lanz0r
chrome moly!
Old 12-19-2009, 10:37 PM
Former Sponsor

ha ha I didnt answer b/c I figured it would be edited by the time I mentioned that as well, lol

-Noah

Quick Reply: Does anyone have a subie with an aftermarket clutch & LIGHT WEIGHT FLYWHEEL?