Does anyone have a subie with an aftermarket clutch & LIGHT WEIGHT FLYWHEEL?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 08:50 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Does anyone have a subie with an aftermarket clutch & LIGHT WEIGHT FLYWHEEL?

I'm looking for anyone who has a lightened flywheel on their subie, and was hoping to maybe try out your car by driving it for a couple of blocks just to get an idea of what it's like in terms of drivability, I'll buy you lunch at your place of choice, I just want to take it for a quick spin, driving totally normal just to get an idea of the flywheel difference.

I rode in my friends Corvette that just had a clutch job and he had a super lightweight flywheel installed and it feels really great, but the problem is that I never drove his car before the flywheel install so I don't know how big of a diff it really made.

By going light weight and having a more free revving feeling do you compromise daily drivability at all? I'm more interested in hearing of cars that have had a very light weight flywheel installed, not just one that is barely different from stock.

I'd really appreciate the help and like I said, I'll buy you lunch or dinner at your place of choice, or give you a gift cert or something. I wont drive it hard, you can be in the car with me, I just want to go through the gears for a few mins to get a feel of what its like to drive normally with a light weight flywheel.

Thanks, and you rock so much if you can help a brotha' out!

Last edited by brucelee; 12-19-2009 at 08:57 AM.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:55 AM

Car Info: AP1 S2k
You might to add if u would like to drive a wrx or a sti too because u hav an sti, but I don't know if that will make an diff?
Old 12-19-2009, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by vietpunk916
You might to add if u would like to drive a wrx or a sti too because u hav an sti, but I don't know if that will make an diff?
Hmmm, that's a good point, I didn't think about the 5 speed and 6 speed difference, but I'm sure I'd get a good idea even on a 5speed because I used to have a WRX before my STi so I know how both feel, and I want to see how the car will feel in terms of every day driving, like in traffic and such... Will it make a big difference? Will it make driving smoothly more difficult? I love the idea of increased engine braking ability because I do a lot of engine braking, especially on Mt roads which is one of the reasons I'm really considering the change.

I'm also thinking of increasing my clutch's grabbing power by upgrading it but am really afraid of compromising driveability, my friend upgraded his clutch on his lancer and it ruined the way the car felt... It was so rough and violent even with normal shifts, and the 6speed clutch is pretty nice in stock form, but Im not a clutch expert so I don't know the downsides to going aftermarket with the clutch... Can anyone add some insight to the subject? Has anyone upgraded to an aggressive clutch in their subie, and if so, do you regret it? I'm especially asking people who commute and drive through traffic, not people who have dedicated race cars. I have a 6 speed, not a 5 speed so I don't have to worry about shattering my gears by having a clutch that doesn't give at all (Aggressive clutch + AWD sticky tire grip + power = broken 5 speed).

So, in short, I'm hoping to find someone who has upgraded to a lightweight flywheel that can shed light to the subject of driveability in traffic and such, and am also looking for someone who has upgraded their STi clutch to something more aggressive, and if you have, do you regret it? Has it hindered your daily driving?
Old 12-19-2009, 09:14 AM

Car Info: 2005 STi
Depending on your driving preference... how you like to drive and where... some people say that you have to rev it up a lot higher to get it to start off smoothly or you'll sometimes get clutch shudder. I have an Exedy twin plate w/ lightened flywheel on my STi, but I don't hardly notice it anymore. It won't take you long to get used to it and after awhile driving a car with an OEM setup just feels wrong. My only recommendation to you is not to get a twin plate unless you like clutch chatter between shifts.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by david240z
Depending on your driving preference... how you like to drive and where... some people say that you have to rev it up a lot higher to get it to start off smoothly or you'll sometimes get clutch shudder. I have an Exedy twin plate w/ lightened flywheel on my STi, but I don't hardly notice it anymore. It won't take you long to get used to it and after awhile driving a car with an OEM setup just feels wrong. My only recommendation to you is not to get a twin plate unless you like clutch chatter between shifts.

Thanks for the advice, clutch chatter drives me friggin NUTS! It's so damn annoying and I'll avoid it at all costs... There's nothing worse then clutch chatter, unless you have a creaky clutch cable to add to the chatter... hahah, I'd pull my hair out on every shift.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:50 AM

Car Info: 2004 WRX Sport Wagon
i had a ACT STREET CLUTCH along with the PROLITE FLYWHEEL on my 04 WRX wagon, i can tell you the flywheel was noisy once your off the throttle (coasting) and clutch shutter between shifts. commuting to work and just taking a weekend drive made the driveability worse. luckily the clutch started to slip and i went back to the stock setup.

Last edited by edzwrx; 12-19-2009 at 10:33 AM. Reason: i can't type
Old 12-19-2009, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by edzwrx
i had a ACT STREET CLUTCH along with the PROLITE FLYWHEEL on my 04 WRX wagon, i can tell you the flywheel was noisy once your off the throttle (coasting) and clutch shutter between shifts. commuting to work and just taking a weekend drive made the driveability worse. luckily the clutch started to slip and i when back to the stock setup.
Oh wow, that sounds awful... You know it's pretty bad when you're actually hoping that your "upgraded" aftermarket part fails so that you can go back to stock!
Old 12-19-2009, 10:17 AM
aka FlukeWRX

Car Info: '03 WRX WRB Sedan
Another option might be to try and find someone with an OEM Clutch, but a Lightweight Flywheel.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by flukewrx
Another option might be to try and find someone with an OEM Clutch, but a Lightweight Flywheel.
Yeah, it's not as common as you would think because people usually do their flywheels when they upgrade their clutches, but that would be nice because it looks like the stock clutch is the way to stay,
Old 12-19-2009, 12:16 PM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
Lightened flywheels do give the car a very cool feel; but you have to be careful no to go too nuts on the street car. If the fywheel is too light, it exposes a lot of vibration, and can tend to "drift" engine speeds. Both of these things can throw CEL's
I know with Gilbert's car, if he lets off the throttle too hard it will kill the engine.

With a clutch, go easy. All the clutch needs to do is not slip when engaged. No Multi-disc clutches on street cars, you won't be happy.

Probably the best bet is a good replacement clutch (ACT, Exedy,) and the ACT streetlite flywheel. It's lighter than the stocker, but no so much it will cause problems.

TIC has a couple of nice packages, and some good bracing stuff I'm intending to use at when I do my 04 STi
http://www.turninconcepts.com/index....1_9_11_262_283
Old 12-19-2009, 12:56 PM

Car Info: 2016 WRX, 2014 lifter forester XT, 2005 JDM207 WGN
I do!
Old 12-19-2009, 01:33 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Daniel, I have one in my car but it's gonna be different because you're 6 speed with DCCD.

Basically it's more about the clutch that anything (in regards to feel).

Just do it.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:54 PM
Da Brit.

Car Info: http://tinyurl.com/3vo4362
I have lightened flywheel on oem clutch. Check my build thread for specs. You can drive if you like. I'm east bay and sf mostly.
Old 12-19-2009, 03:47 PM

Car Info: Nadda
Originally Posted by johndabrit
I have lightened flywheel on oem clutch. Check my build thread for specs. You can drive if you like. I'm east bay and sf mostly.
White n' gold with a wing?
Old 12-19-2009, 04:32 PM
Da Brit.

Car Info: http://tinyurl.com/3vo4362
Originally Posted by iLoqin
White n' gold with a wing?
no sir. You can find me here
https://www.i-club.com/forums/ongoing-projects-31/johndabrits-bugeye-211874/

thread needs to be updated but you'll get the idea.

Quick Reply: Does anyone have a subie with an aftermarket clutch & LIGHT WEIGHT FLYWHEEL?