Does anyone have a subie with an aftermarket clutch & LIGHT WEIGHT FLYWHEEL?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 01:16 AM

Car Info: wrx02
I have RPS clutch kit + gruppe-s light flywheel. Shifts real nice and fast. But it makes annoying decel sound when off the gas/slowing down; especially more so for me because of my kartboy and whiteline race mounts.
Old 12-20-2009, 01:26 AM

Car Info: wrx02
Red face

Originally Posted by LICmotorsports
for 5spd we go OEM or RPS as well, and the option of a ACT flywheel is tossed around but beforehand customer is made aware of the NVH that comes with it. I have yet to see any 5spd with lightweight fly not be noisy, its not like its unbearable but its for sure annoying (I have a lightweight fly in my own car and cant stand decell noises).

in addition to this you need to think about why go with higher clamping force clutch if you dont need to; with it comes more shock load on the tranny gears and sychros. If you have a 02, you will need to treat it extra nice as those gears are weaker than the newer generations.

so to answer your question effectively, yes it tolerable for street...its a nice upgrade but it comes with side effects.

*and as John mentioned, the stiffer mounts excentuate this

-Noah
I like race car like feeling, but this decel noise is a little too much even for me. I got used to it now, but everyone who rides in my car tells me things like, "What's wrong with your car?" "Is this going to explode?" I even found a nice spot on rpm and gear where I can make the whole car vibrate and sound like a tank...It's fun in a way.

Last edited by willow; 12-20-2009 at 01:30 AM.
Old 12-20-2009, 01:49 AM

Car Info: 2008 Forester XT 5spd
I have an RPS clutch on a re-surfaced OEM flywheel on my 02. For some reason I have the decel noise. Admittedly it is annoying. Not sure how much weight is taken off when re-surfacing. Maybe one day I'll get a brand new OEM flywheel and see if that remedies the noise. Other than that I like my RPS clutch, no complaints!

~old man

Last edited by adizon; 12-20-2009 at 10:38 AM.
Old 12-20-2009, 02:07 AM
aka FlukeWRX

Car Info: '03 WRX WRB Sedan
Wow, I've never heard so many problems with noise relating to Lightweight Flywheels before. Always thought that they were supposed to be quiet and that if there was noise or chattering it always seemed like people blamed bad installs or defective components.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:22 AM

Car Info: 04 Forester XT/96 Brighton Project
I'd give you a ride if I had my old 98RS/WRX...when I got it there was a findinza lightweight flywheel and I believe an exedy clutch. I later replaced it with an ACT super street clutch and stock flywheel. I replaced it with stock because I got tired of the CELs for misfire and I didn't have a need for LW flywheel anyhow. It did feel nice and rev'd smoothly and quicker. This was on an 02/03 wrx motor/5spd rs trans.
Old 12-20-2009, 04:05 AM

Car Info: 04 STi
Originally Posted by brucelee
I rode in my friends Corvette
What year? I would probably buy a vette if i didn't want/need AWD and four doors. Such fun and powerful cars. Plus you get lots of looks (good or bad depending if you like attention). I drove my mom's 345hp 99 C5 quite often and it was a blast.... I couldnt imagine the new ones, let alone a Z06 or ZR1... love those cars.
Old 12-20-2009, 06:56 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Originally Posted by subie OCD
What year? I would probably buy a vette if i didn't want/need AWD and four doors. Such fun and powerful cars. Plus you get lots of looks (good or bad depending if you like attention). I drove my mom's 345hp 99 C5 quite often and it was a blast.... I couldnt imagine the new ones, let alone a Z06 or ZR1... love those cars.
It is an MY04 Z06
Old 12-20-2009, 07:48 AM

Thank you for all the great and informative posts everyone, I'm sure this has helped more then just me. You have pretty much made me make up my mind on staying with the stock STi setup, especially after Noah informed us that the STi flywheel is only 3lbs lighter then the stock, VS the 5 speed which is half the weight of the stock unit, which is a HUGE difference and it seems as though there is a price to pay thanks to that drastic change.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:55 AM

Car Info: Forester XTi
Ok I don't know about the subies, but I know in VW's there is a downside to a lightened flywheel. While yes it revs up faster, you loose higher end consistency.

What I mean by that is, you come off the throttle and you will feel it (in a vw) spin down faster, it doesn't hold its RPM as well because of the lack of rotating mass.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Overbear
Ok I don't know about the subies, but I know in VW's there is a downside to a lightened flywheel. While yes it revs up faster, you loose higher end consistency.

What I mean by that is, you come off the throttle and you will feel it (in a vw) spin down faster, it doesn't hold its RPM as well because of the lack of rotating mass.
Yeah, that's the whole point of a light weight flywheel... When you let off the throttle the revs drop really quickly allowing you to engine brake much more effectively.

If you read the thread, you'll see that the basic consensus is that a light weight flywheel isn't something that is recommended for a street car. (Especially the 5speed subie light flywheel which is drastically different then the stock one)
Old 12-20-2009, 08:24 AM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: MY04 STi some call it a race car
Originally Posted by willow
I have RPS clutch kit + gruppe-s light flywheel. Shifts real nice and fast. But it makes annoying decel sound when off the gas/slowing down; especially more so for me because of my kartboy and whiteline race mounts.
sounds about right

Originally Posted by willow
I like race car like feeling, but this decel noise is a little too much even for me. I got used to it now, but everyone who rides in my car tells me things like, "What's wrong with your car?" "Is this going to explode?" I even found a nice spot on rpm and gear where I can make the whole car vibrate and sound like a tank...It's fun in a way.
thats due to the race (solid) mounts, if thats what you got.

Originally Posted by adizon
I have an RPS clutch on a re-surfaced OEM flywheel on my 02. For some reason I have the decel noise. Admittedly it is annoying. Not sure how much weight is taken off when re-surfacing. Maybe one day I'll get a brand new OEM flywheel and see if that remedies the noise. Other that that I like my RPS clutch, no complaints!

~old man
b/c you have upgraded mounts as well

Originally Posted by Overbear
same on subies as well, really any lightweight fly will do this

In addition if you have a 02 WRX, a lightweight fly is prone to CEL for misfire codes (this has to do with the 02 ECU, its more sensitve than the others). Literally I have to inform folks if they have a 02/03 that they might end up with a CEL with that lightweight fly <-- very much isolated to the 02/03 WRX model, never see it on anything else.

-Noah

Last edited by LICmotorsports; 12-20-2009 at 08:41 AM.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:31 AM

What's the real advantage of having solid mounts anyway? Seems like there are far more negative factors then there are positive factors.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:00 AM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: MY04 STi some call it a race car
Originally Posted by brucelee
What's the real advantage of having solid mounts anyway? Seems like there are far more negative factors then there are positive factors.
more responsive, no different than any other "upgraded" mount, which will always come down to the material.

OEM is a soft rubber, Group-N is upgraded rubber, something like Cusco mounts are as about as solid as it comes, literally just metal on metal. You also have upgraded material like polyurethane (which is used to eliminate deflection found in rubber).

But they all come with NVH (Noise, vibration, Harshness). That's not to say its a bad thing all the time.

I.E. when going through the gears and you grab 2nd, you hear that CLUNK from the rear, thats the soft pliable rubber..............when upgraded to poly (which again combats deflection, you eliminate the clunk) <--- hence the clunk killer term

same holds true all over, some areas you WANT deflection to an extent, others you want to have zero. positives and negatives can be found for just about anything.

*I would never recommend SOLID mounts for anything on the street.............there is no good reasons for it IMHO

-Noah

Last edited by LICmotorsports; 12-20-2009 at 10:04 AM.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:13 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
It's called "engineering".
A set of end results is generated, compromises are reached, and the end product is finalized.
All products produced are full of compromises; ease of manufacturing, low cost, customer's desires, etc.

Performance parts are not for everyone; non or clutches that will destroy a transmission, motor mounts that lead to higher levels of nvh.

It all comes down to what the customer wants, what the budget is, and what compromises the customer is willing to make...and not make...in reaching the end product.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:01 AM

Car Info: 2008 Forester XT 5spd
Originally Posted by LICmotorsports
b/c you have upgraded mounts as well

-Noah

Just an FYI, for those of you reading. I don't want you to misinterpret, I've only upgraded to the STI WRX 5MT Transmission GroupN Mount. No upgraded engine mounts. I do live in a hilly area, and my driveway has a slight slope from being on a hill, and having the upgraded mount does seem to help with shifting into gears, like getting into reverse.

To Noah's and Paul's point (and to beat a dead horse ), any of these upgrades will have a compromise. It's a matter of whether the upgrade/s fit your needs, and if those needs are worth the compromises that will be had. Sometimes it's just trial and error. For example for many of us, how many different suspension set-ups have we gone through, when so many of us have been given so much advice, of why you may need this, or don't need that? Part of it just seems to be the nature of the enthusiast. We've been told don't do, but we want to try it out even if it costs. Then we learn . . . and pay, or we justify to ourselves the cost and live with the compromise. Other times you find that middle ground, and it's all worth it. It's just the way it is.

Quick Reply: Does anyone have a subie with an aftermarket clutch & LIGHT WEIGHT FLYWHEEL?