Do anyone else's stock HID's flicker?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 03:31 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Do anyone else's stock HID's flicker?

When I say flicker, I mean ever so slightly that you can barely notice it, only when you're in a pitch black garage and you can see the reflection nice and clearly. Anyone else get this? I'm wondering what the cause is? does it sound like the bulbs are going? Or the ballasts? I plan on replacing the "bulbs" wity something more intense becuase the stock HID's kinda suck on the subies.

I wouldn't mind getting some 55w 4800k sets for my primary beams instead of the low intensity stock ones (Which are still really bright but I'm used to 55W HID's in my old car, so the STi ones are pretty bleh) They work find, I guess Im just looking for any old excuse...

On the note of headlights, the STi adjustable on the fly lights r0x0r so badly that I actually bought the car ONLY because it had adjustable headlights on the fly. dont tell anyone though, it'll be out secret.

So yeah, anyway, back to the flickering??? Sorta like when you AC turns on and your headlights dim, only slighly less and for a shorter period of tome.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:02 AM
Hurray, it's Ian!!

Car Info: 2002 MBP WRX Sedan
get a stronger battery. get grounding wires, check all connections
Old 06-13-2009, 11:07 AM

Car Info: '11 White Shelby Cobra GT 500
yeah check make sure the battery cables are on tight. When I first got my sti I noticed lots of things flickered and so we pulled over at one point and then checked my cable and it wasn't on tight. when then tightened it the flicker went away for me.
Old 06-13-2009, 05:52 PM

Car Info: 07 Wrx
Yea you just need more power, if u put on bigger subs/speakers you will notice it more drastically =D. I have the same **** on my wrx, but only during startup sometimes haha.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:01 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
when my battery was going, I'd notice my headlights dim momentarily when I stepped on the brake pedal. Recharging the battery fixed the issue until it started to lose its charge again. I replaced the battery and it's been A-OK ever since.
Old 06-13-2009, 10:35 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Hm, makes perfect sense... I did upgrade my speakers to some huge ones which use a lot more power, so that could be part of the reason. I guess I'll get a more powerful battery...

This is going to sound weird, but I was kinda hoping something was wrong so that I could upgrade to some really bright 55w HID's vs the stock 35w onees... hehhehehe

Anyone know if i can change the bulbs on my stock HID's to a different temperature? Stock is like 4200k, if I wanted to, could I change it to 6000k buy just replacing the bulbs? I don't want to change the temp, I;m just curious to know if its possible... Thanks in advance!
Old 06-13-2009, 11:35 PM
the artist formerly known as mcdrama

Car Info: WRBP 2015 WRX Premium/CVT
I dont have "stock-for-my-car" HIDs, but I pulled them from an 04 STi. The one time I saw flickering was hard core and it was the relay that had died. I assume that some where in the stock wire harness there is a couple of dedicated normally open relays for the HIDs.

Does the flutter go away or is it constant? you may want to test with a multimeter connected to the harness and see if there is abnormal voltage flux.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:59 PM
banned

Car Info: STi
Assume since you said stock hid on subies suck that you are not running the adjustable level mod. "Set the level switch to 2 or 1 pending on how far you want to see and re adjust the factory headlight level". Now you have brighter low beams on setting zero, if you get pulled for having high adjusted low beams then set the switch back to the other number and tell the cop you just fixed it there on site.

I adjusted mine at level 2 then adjusted the fogs to match level 0. I never use the high beams anymore. Will be doing the fog light mod shortly to have them on with the highbeams for ****s and giggles.
Old 06-14-2009, 01:38 AM
Hurray, it's Ian!!

Car Info: 2002 MBP WRX Sedan
Originally Posted by brucelee
Hm, makes perfect sense... I did upgrade my speakers to some huge ones which use a lot more power, so that could be part of the reason. I guess I'll get a more powerful battery...

This is going to sound weird, but I was kinda hoping something was wrong so that I could upgrade to some really bright 55w HID's vs the stock 35w onees... hehhehehe

Anyone know if i can change the bulbs on my stock HID's to a different temperature? Stock is like 4200k, if I wanted to, could I change it to 6000k buy just replacing the bulbs? I don't want to change the temp, I;m just curious to know if its possible... Thanks in advance!
you can change the color temp by using whatever bulb you want
Old 06-14-2009, 10:10 AM

Car Info: 2006 WRX wagon
I had the exact same thing happen to me. It was not a loose battery cable where it connects to the battery itself, but the nut that secures the battery cable to the bracket that holds onto the battery post.