Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Anyone else feeling this?.....sorry if you are offending anyone

Old 04-23-2007, 01:28 AM

Car Info: '97 Legacy
Anyone else feeling this?.....sorry if you are offending anyone

I'm gonna apologize firstly for offending ayone who has any connection to Virginia Tech or those affected by the tragic shooting.

That aside, I go to college in New England and so many people around me are being fueled by this facebook movement to create groups and hold vigils supposedly "supporting" those who died at the VTech shoting. I'm just sickedend by the fact that it is trendy to "care" about a tragedy. Over the weekend you could hear many people yelling things like "we are Virginia Tech!" and such being yelled outside of parties or dorms by drunken person. Maybe I'm just ridiculously cynical but it seems to me that way too many people are superficially "caring" about this event. I'm pretty sure that there are plenty of people out there who were affected, and are actualy saddened by this, but I have witnessed much of what I beleive to be superficial support of those affected. I saw my old roomate this weekend and he was wearing a brand-spanking-new Michael Vick VTech jersey. I asked him about it and he said he was supporting Virginia Tech...but didnt really elaborate much on the point. My new roomate made an offcolour comment that what my old roomate was doing was "just like walking up to a bum and saying I care and then walking away".

I didnt mean to come off as extremely narcicistic or pretentious in this post, and I may do so in some people's eyes, but I was just wondering if anyone else at college, or anywhere else, was getting this sort of vibe. Thats just my two cents.

/end 4am rant
Old 04-23-2007, 01:31 AM

Car Info: '97 Legacy
ps...sorry for extreme grammer errors...and nonsensical thread title...I am very tired.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:07 AM

Car Info: 05 STi
I agree, half the people that say they care could probably not care less. I think a lot of them do it because they see everyone else doing it and they don't want to be left out.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:53 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Speed, don't you see that by apologizing up front for possibly offending us, you're one of those people.

There is nothing wrong in either being offensive or being offended.

But, yes, I do agree with your sentiments.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:06 AM

Car Info: '06 SGM WRX wagon
That's the American way - jump on the bandwagon until something more interesting comes along.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:05 PM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
What offends me is...

What offends me is that the insane fixation with diversity let this psychopath into these schools when other more deserving and bright American students are denied such educational opportunity.

His own mother said she was baffled that he was let into these institutions of lower learning in the first place. Apparently the guy was not very bright.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:16 AM

Car Info: Sline
"We are Virginia Tech"? Do you go to Penn State too? I'm going to read your post more later. I have to go to class, but from the looks of it, I agree with you.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:49 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
I feel you. Although I don't care that they're still grieving you can tell that it's not all for the right reasons. Sure, most still may be shaken but half of what they're doing is a front just to belong. Sometimes I wonder if guys do it just to meet chicks at these functions just to show them their sensitive side. Whatever.

I like to relate these student to those that drive around with peace signs and peace bumper stickers on the back of their cars. Like everyone else out there wants bloodshed and carnage (or in this case like everyone else that didn’t drop money on a VT jersey is cold blooded and insensitive.) :trans10: The only thing I can think of is that the peace sign sticker person wants to come across the other VW with the same stickers so they can exchange air high-fives across the lanes. If they're really lucky they'll follow each other home and hit the bong!

I say you go to one of these meets and start balling your eyes out on the shoulder of some smoking hot broad.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:54 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Originally Posted by HellaDumb
What offends me is that the insane fixation with diversity let this psychopath into these schools when other more deserving and bright American students are denied such educational opportunity.

His own mother said she was baffled that he was let into these institutions of lower learning in the first place. Apparently the guy was not very bright.
No kidding. If you read his work and watched that movie it really seemed like the dude was legitimately slow.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:53 PM

Car Info: Broken ass stock '02 WRX
Originally Posted by spedmunki
I saw my old roomate this weekend and he was wearing a brand-spanking-new Michael Vick VTech jersey. I asked him about it and he said he was supporting Virginia Tech...but didnt really elaborate much on the point.
Now if the proceeds from the jersey went to help the victims, I could see this as being supportive.

Last edited by Keisatsu; 05-24-2007 at 12:57 PM.