Customer "Project 2009 Sleeper" 506whp Stock Location Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 10:36 AM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: MY04 STi some call it a race car
Originally Posted by nation
this made me smile
In a good way?

This car sounds AMAZING! The Milltek exhaust we use keeps it nice and subtle for cruising at low RPM's around town. Once you hunker down on it, it really opens up and sounds amazing. And of course with the EWG its like tossing squirrels through the turbo (always a nice noise to hear)

-Noah
Old 02-15-2012, 10:48 AM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: WRX, EVO, MSP3
Originally Posted by SeaOfGreen
Nice build, Cobbs dyno reads on the higher side? Like to see that on Mikes Dyno.......
I would offer to conduct a dyno baseline for LIC/Their customer but honestly I think that would not only be in poor taste but somewhat insulting.

Everyone knows no two dyno's read the same so there is little point to it.

As with anything the main point of concern is the car is running well and the customer is happy with the net end results whatever they may be which I would hazard a guess he is.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:43 AM

Car Info: 2004 WW Evo RS
Originally Posted by GST Motorsports
I would offer to conduct a dyno baseline for LIC/Their customer but honestly I think that would not only be in poor taste but somewhat insulting.

Everyone knows no two dyno's read the same so there is little point to it.

As with anything the main point of concern is the car is running well and the customer is happy with the net end results whatever they may be which I would hazard a guess he is.
Only reason I was asking because most dyno's read on the higher side and Cobbs dyno always runs high numbers on ever setup that I have looked at. Big difference between 425whp and 500whp on a dyno, that's almost 100hp difference. You know if you put down 500whp on your dyno it's a beast!
Old 02-15-2012, 12:14 PM
Former Sponsor

Only reason I was asking because most dyno's read on the higher side and Cobbs dyno always runs high numbers on ever setup that I have looked at. Big difference between 425whp and 500whp on a dyno, that's almost 100hp difference. You know if you put down 500whp on your dyno it's a beast!
I wouldn't even care to speculate, as I said as long as the owner is happy and he has what he wanted from his build etc that's the main point.

FWIW I just dyno'd a 2011 STI 15 minutes ago stock, it made 0.0018WHP!!!

*Edit **** I just realized I forgot to plug the dyno power in!

I can haZ tEh l0w3st readinz dyn0 y0!
Old 02-15-2012, 12:44 PM
plays well with others

Car Info: your mother crazy
Didn't Moike, Noah, and Paul pull out the ruler and compare dicks, err, I mean dyno configurations, a while ago? I vaguely recall a discussion on this before... (BAM maybe?)
Old 02-15-2012, 12:49 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by irrational x
Didn't Moike, Noah, and Paul pull out the ruler and compare dicks, err, I mean dyno configurations, a while ago? I vaguely recall a discussion on this before... (BAM maybe?)
Yea mine was lower (as in hung lower) so therefore I am teh biggarist!
Old 02-15-2012, 12:52 PM
Former Sponsor

That being said for obvious reasons we concluded during the debate that Noah's dyno read by far the lowest of the three!
Old 02-15-2012, 01:00 PM
Former Sponsor

That being said for obvious reasons we concluded during the debate that Noah's dyno read by far the lowest of the three!
agreed! LOL

-Noah
Old 02-15-2012, 01:54 PM
banned

Car Info: 500+ whp Club
Nice build, Cobbs dyno reads on the higher side? Like to see that on Mikes Dyno.......
How hard is it to type with gst mikes ***** in your mouth?
You always seem to talk smack on everyones build. I would like to see what your car is all about.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's a nice build. And a undercover for sure. I wish mine was a sleeper now days. Hell I wish I could drive it on the street at this point.

My only thought is I'm now glad to have my FullRace / 2 stroke set up. That car seems to have a lot of lag. But I know its gotta be a hell of a lot of fun to drive. I hope he replaced or is going to replace the wheel studs.

Nice job, Always quality work from LIC.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:35 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by old.guy
You always seem to talk smack on everyones build. I would like to see what your car is all about.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's a nice build. And a undercover for sure. I wish mine was a sleeper now days. Hell I wish I could drive it on the street at this point.

My only thought is I'm now glad to have my FullRace / 2 stroke set up. That car seems to have a lot of lag. But I know its gotta be a hell of a lot of fun to drive. I hope he replaced or is going to replace the wheel studs.

Nice job, Always quality work from LIC.

LOL, I almost upchucked my water I was drinking!

For sure rotated is the way to go on a bigger build like this but simply put the customer wanted a sleeper daily driver and not a cluster fu*k in the engine bay like so many rotated setups become (and for what its worth, he wasn't always going for a 500whp #, as the build progressed and he made more and more power he well...got addicted, and wanted to push the setup a bit further). But from the get go he was always wanting to stick with a stock location turbo and push its limits given his setup.

In regards to the wheel studs, the wheel/tire combo isn't aggressive by any means so I'm not concerned from that stand point but the side loads this car does see could for sure be of an issue if there was to have an issue. I just have yet to see any issues with stock studs even under severe/harsh conditions and I'm speaking from our own personal experience, not what the web has to offer...I'm sure someone has a horror story for just about anything, we commonly find wheel studs over torqued/stretched which is where 99% of the problems would result from. The nice thing about this car/customer is it also gets beat on too, its not just easily driven around...customer loves it and thrashes on it.

There seems to be this fine line on unassuming street setup to ***** deep into a massive track build. This guy who owns the car just isn't a guy who wants to strip it, cage it, and get into it like that...so he accepts some side effects of the stock location setup in lieu of making the power more easily and less streetable.

*I agree on how others on the forums always smack talk builds, not saying it has or hasn't been done in this thread but its exactly why I typically don't bother on this forum or others...just not into the whole: this car sucks b/c of the dyno, or I dislike that tuner, that shop sucks, or that for whatever reason forum folks just have a hard on for making people's lives more difficult all in the name of being someone to the "online community". Quite honestly, I could care less what anyone thinks of us, this or that build, etc...I simply posted this b/c I thought folks might like to see something different than the norm that seems to be on these forums as of lately. But as always, to each's own!

Thanks for the kind words on the quality of our work Michael!

-Noah
Old 02-15-2012, 02:57 PM
banned

Car Info: 500+ whp Club
Originally Posted by LICmotorsports
we commonly find wheel studs over torqued/stretched which is where 99% of the problems would result from. The nice thing about this car/customer is it also gets beat on too, its not just easily driven around...customer loves it and thrashes on it.
-Noah
The over torque is a huge problem, as lots of people go to the cheaper tire places that work off speed, time and air impacts. And I was also worried about the heat the car makes under braking. Big power/Speed + big brakes = more heat.

I replaced mine after I blew up the 6spd at Willow. I knew that those had seen better days. And since the gearbox was being replaced and the LSD's were also being swapped out it was just smart to replace mine. Piece of mind, But maybe I am paranoid.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:04 PM
Former Sponsor

The over torque is a huge problem, as lots of people go to the cheaper tire places that work off speed, time and air impacts. And I was also worried about the heat the car makes under braking. Big power/Speed + big brakes = more heat.

I replaced mine after I blew up the 6spd at Willow. I knew that those had seen better days. And since the gearbox was being replaced and the LSD's were also being swapped out it was just smart to replace mine. Piece of mind, But maybe I am paranoid.
I cringe every time I hear the local shops around us air impacting lug nuts on....torque stick or not, just makes zero sense to me.

-Noah
Old 02-15-2012, 04:12 PM
Former Sponsor

Fairly easy, he wrote down what he wanted typing so I typed it for him.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Fairly easy, he wrote down what he wanted typing so I typed it for him.
ahh ha ha...nice!

-Noah
Old 02-17-2012, 04:30 AM

Car Info: 2000 2.5rs
I want that motor in my car!

What would you say was the limit of the tmic before he switched to a front mount?

Last edited by MonsterGC; 02-17-2012 at 04:33 AM.

Quick Reply: Customer "Project 2009 Sleeper" 506whp Stock Location Turbo