Craigslist Imprezas...

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by wombatsauce
I personally do not know either of those cars. If you are not able to check them out yourself and are concerned about these things, I would be wary as of course these cars are getting older.

People can indeed do great work themselves, but I would take that '04 for a compression check at the very least.

The '05 even from that one picture clearly has had paint work (front bumper/light covers) done on it, and the reflection coming from the door-edge at the left rear quarter panel would have me checking that area for repairs.

Keep in mind that my input is worth "what you paid for it" but it sounds like you are hoping to find a problem-free car, and possibly from a distance.

I have found maintenance records by finding the servicing dealer or shop via Carfax, and then calling them. It does not always work, but sometimes it does. I have paid well into five digits to maintain and improve my '02, but the folder containing all of these records has been misplaced. Additionally, I have tried to hand over thick folders of maintenance records when trading in a car, only to be told that they could not accept it due to privacy concerns. Bummer for everyone.
Hey, thanks for the advice. Having owned an '03 Wagon from new through 168k miles when I sold it, I definitely know that high-mileage WRX/STI and "problem-free" rarely go hand in hand - perhaps even more infrequently than "stock, never modified." The owner of the '04 only agreed to have a pre-purchase inspection performed at his brother's shop (which is where the heads were rebuild), which raised some red flags for me. As for the '05, I was already bit weary of buying a car like this from a flipper (who admits he mainly deals in air-cooled Porsches), and your point about the repainted bumper (which I hadn't noticed at first glance) only reinforces my discomfort.

I traded in my '15 STI towards an IS350, and now my wife and I definitely miss driving a stick shift, so we're hoping to pick up a used, moderately priced WRX or STI as a second car. That said, doing so (especially through Craigslist and to some degree Autotrader) is proving to be a bit difficult. Ideally, I'd like to get something from a fellow I-clubber which would provide some reassurance, but not seeing much for sale at the moment.
Old 10-11-2016, 03:40 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by kyoung05
Hey, thanks for the advice. Having owned an '03 Wagon from new through 168k miles when I sold it, I definitely know that high-mileage WRX/STI and "problem-free" rarely go hand in hand - perhaps even more infrequently than "stock, never modified." The owner of the '04 only agreed to have a pre-purchase inspection performed at his brother's shop (which is where the heads were rebuild), which raised some red flags for me. As for the '05, I was already bit weary of buying a car like this from a flipper (who admits he mainly deals in air-cooled Porsches), and your point about the repainted bumper (which I hadn't noticed at first glance) only reinforces my discomfort.

I traded in my '15 STI towards an IS350, and now my wife and I definitely miss driving a stick shift, so we're hoping to pick up a used, moderately priced WRX or STI as a second car. That said, doing so (especially through Craigslist and to some degree Autotrader) is proving to be a bit difficult. Ideally, I'd like to get something from a fellow I-clubber which would provide some reassurance, but not seeing much for sale at the moment.
Totally get that. Happy to help! I just checked out both cars a little more, and that '04 looks really nice. I do not particularly like the wheels or exhaust, but both are easily changed, and the rest of the car does look great. The '05 looks like it was a stock daily, though with slightly lower miles, and it looks like it has had a bit of a harder life. I say that because of the amount of dings/dents, the body work plus evidence of further dents afterward, and the clearly tweaked rear trunk lock area on the decklid. Still, if you know someone good with body work, and the mechanicals check out, it could be the better bet.

Best of luck with your search - it is definitely a challenge these days. I have been driving a Prius for a while and just recently got my WRX back in shape (THANKS TO RBMS in Hayward).

Sold the Prius and have driven either my '02 WRX or my '00 2.5 RS every day and it's been AWESOME. Something like an '04 or '05 STi would only be even more fun, and, with the 6spd - potentially more problem-free.

Maybe check and see if either or both would permit a PPI at RBMS or AHQ or a different Suby-specific shop? I would think either would accommodate this. Could get you the info you need to make a better-informed decision.
Old 10-11-2016, 03:44 PM

Totally get that. Happy to help! I just checked out both cars a little more, and that '04 looks really nice. I do not particularly like the wheels or exhaust, but both are easily changed, and the rest of the car does look great. The '05 looks like it was a stock daily, though with slightly lower miles, and it looks like it has had a bit of a harder life. I say that because of the amount of dings/dents, the body work plus evidence of further dents afterward, and the clearly tweaked rear trunk lock area on the decklid. Still, if you know someone good with body work, and the mechanicals check out, it could be the better bet.

Best of luck with your search - it is definitely a challenge these days. I have been driving a Prius for a while and just recently got my WRX back in shape (THANKS TO RBMS in Hayward).

Sold the Prius and have driven either my '02 WRX or my '00 2.5 RS every day and it's been AWESOME. Something like an '04 or '05 STi would only be even more fun, and, with the 6spd - potentially more problem-free.

Maybe check and see if either or both would permit a PPI at RBMS or AHQ or a different Suby-specific shop? I would think either would accommodate this. Could get you the info you need to make a better-informed decision.
Yep, makes perfect sense. Unfortunately, both of those shops are too far for either of those sellers, and I'm not sure I'm willing to roll a $13k-16k dice just yet. Will probably keep looking.
Old 10-11-2016, 11:37 PM

Car Info: 05 LGT Wagon 5spd, '11 R6 Race
Originally Posted by LxJLthr
Sounds about right considering it is a CL post. When did any of us actually got our asking price for high ticket items? That's why you post high then give the buyer "illusion of discount" by negotiating down to your actual desired value

Got it was able to talk him down quite a bit. Super happy with this thing

really great shape, super nice guy. Takes care of his vehicles and it shows. Car is fun to drive and has some nice mods on it
Attached Thumbnails Craigslist Imprezas...-img_2145.jpg  
Old 10-12-2016, 08:14 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by salvator_rizzo

really great shape, super nice guy. Takes care of his vehicles and it shows. Car is fun to drive and has some nice mods on it
Nice grab! Was watching that one for a while.
Old 10-12-2016, 04:53 PM
VIP Member

It will be interesting to see what this sells for: BaT: 2005 WRX STi
Old 10-12-2016, 05:12 PM

It will be interesting to see what this sells for: BaT: 2005 WRX STi
Looks promising - is this a fellow i-Clubber?
Old 10-12-2016, 06:07 PM

Car Info: 2017 STI WRB
"Bring a trailer" kinda sounds bad.... I think this thing would sell for $15k.
Old 10-12-2016, 06:34 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by kyoung05
Looks promising - is this a fellow i-Clubber?
Not sure - curious myself.

Originally Posted by pingupenguins
"Bring a trailer" kinda sounds bad.... I think this thing would sell for $15k.
It used to be more for barn finds and stuff, now the name does not work so well. The last one sold for $21k, but it had 70k miles and was stock.
Old 10-14-2016, 12:50 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: psm.03.wrx.wgn
Originally Posted by salvator_rizzo

Congrats, man! I actually came back here to ask you how things were progressing cuz you hadn't posted since you said that you were gonna check it out. Super stoked for you... and a bit envious too.
Old 10-14-2016, 12:47 PM

Car Info: 05 LGT Wagon 5spd, '11 R6 Race
yea man I'm stoked! Will actually be able to make it to Tahoe too haha.

Also nice having like an extra 100hp over the brz. Starting to play with a few clean up items on it, then adding coils wheels and a lip calling it good for awhile
Old 10-22-2016, 03:51 PM

Car Info: 2010 Forester
Someone text him and post pics. I'm to scared.

SUBARU BAJA ON 22's

Originally Posted by Craigslist Facepalm
SELLING MY SUBARU BAJA LIFTED ON 22 RIMS RUNS GOOD NEEDS TRANSMISSION WORK NEW TIRES CLEAN RIMS CANDY PAINT DUAL 12s LOUD CUSTOM EXAUST. (925) 464-3211
Old 10-22-2016, 04:00 PM

Car Info: 2017 STI WRB
"Candy paint" So delicious.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:51 PM

Car Info: '06 OBS Special Edition
damn. already deleted the ad.

another, less mint, RS coupe.
2001 subaru 2.5 rs GC8
Old 11-10-2016, 07:47 AM
I survived the Mod Challenge and all I got was this lousy title

Car Info: ...zeh car drives you!
If I cannot unsee this, neither can you!

https://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/cto/5857562981.html

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan , Blaze Yellow / Sparco Torino Racing Seats with Reupolstered Rear Seats , Sparco Brackets Schroth F1 Approved Racing Harness , 2.0 Liter 4 Cyl Turbo with Mods HKS Cold Air Intake , HKS GT2540R Turbo Upgrade , Aps 725dr , Front Mount Intercooler , ID 1000cc Injectors , Apex AVC-R Boost Controller , Apex'i S-AFC Air/Fuel Module , GReddy Turbo Timer , Samco Silicone Radiator, Turbo and Intercooler Piping , Walbro Fuel Pump, Zerosports Air Splitter , Zerosports Thermostat STi Radiator Cap, Nittrous Express Intercooler Spray , Nitrous Express Remote Bottle opener and Purge Kit , Rims 18X7.5 OZ Racing Prodrive Subaru WRC rally Spec Athracite Wheels , HKS up-Pipe , HKS Down Pipe , HKS Polished Carbon Titanium Hiper Exhaust , Navigation Poineer AVIC-90DVD Voice Command GPS Tracking Pioneer P7300DVD 7"widescreen Flip Out AM/FM/CD/DVD Front Dash , This Is A Show Car That Has Never Seen Snow or Salt , Too Many Mods to List , ONLY 35484 Miles , Like NEW

$12,900

Last edited by LxJLthr; 11-10-2016 at 07:50 AM.

Quick Reply: Craigslist Imprezas...