Cracked Windshield Warranty Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2003, 05:22 PM

Angry Cracked Windshield Warranty Help

I was just denied warranty on my cracked windshield!!!! When the service advisor checked the glass, he told me that it won't be under warranty, because there was a chip the size of a needle point on it. Maybe I'm wrong here, but it's a little hard to believe that a chip that small could crack create a crack that big. If that was the case, 100% of all freeway drivers would have a crack on their windshield. I'm not sure how the glass cracked, but I know it wasn't caused by the needle point size chip. If it was, I'm a little dissapointed at the materials Subaru uses plus the reliability of their vehicles. I'm about to write SOA and file a complaint, but before I do I wanted to know if anyone have had this problem and what steps they took to fix it. Do you guys know any agency like the vehicle consumer report or any other agencies similar? Thanks a lot for all your help and advice.

Victor
Old 05-28-2003, 05:29 PM

Car Info: 2017 WRB WRX Premium
If you do report this to SOA, please link this thread to you email or letter. We have put together an entire list of cracked WRX windshields , and it is already up to page 8. See it here:

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...0&pagenumber=1

Kurlee Daddee
(THE ORIGINAL)
Old 05-28-2003, 05:43 PM

Originally posted by KurleeDaddeeWRX
If you do report this to SOA, please link this thread to you email or letter. We have put together an entire list of cracked WRX windshields , and it is already up to page 8. See it here:

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...0&pagenumber=1

Kurlee Daddee
(THE ORIGINAL)
Thanks for the advise kurlee daddee. I will definitely attach this link.

Victor
Old 05-28-2003, 06:17 PM

Car Info: 2001 sub. imp.
i had my windshield crack and got it replaced under warranty. mine was a stress crack, you might want to go to another dealer and ask them about it. mine started at the side and worked its way towards the middle, then eventually to the other side of the windshield. good luck
Old 05-28-2003, 06:36 PM

I just filed a complaint with NHTSA (National Highway Transportation and Safety Administration). Hopefully they are able to do something. I also attached the website that kurlee daddee gave me as proof that i'm not the only one with this problem.
Old 05-28-2003, 08:28 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: MMVI AW WRX STI
You know what else...Subaru put these darn black donut things on my wheels...and the more I drive...the MORE THEY WEAR OUT!!!!! I don't have to want to buy new ones!!!!

I have NEVER owned a car that has not had at least one broken windshield. My wife's WRX has a tiny chip...that hasn't spread in a year, but when it does I'll be fixing it myself, as it was caused by a ROCK!

Old 05-29-2003, 12:16 AM

Originally posted by mexicanpizza
You know what else...Subaru put these darn black donut things on my wheels...and the more I drive...the MORE THEY WEAR OUT!!!!! I don't have to want to buy new ones!!!!

I have NEVER owned a car that has not had at least one broken windshield. My wife's WRX has a tiny chip...that hasn't spread in a year, but when it does I'll be fixing it myself, as it was caused by a ROCK!

I'm not trying to pull a fast one on Subaru. If I knew that the crack was caused by a rock I wouldn't even bother taking my car to the dealership and thru the hassle. But like what i said in the first post, it's a little hard for me to believe that a chip as tiny as a needle point can cause a foot long crack. I have a Focus that has a chip the size of a nickel that hasn't spread for over 2 1/2 years. If the windshield on my Focus can withstand a chip the size of a nickel, I can't believe that the windshield on a Subaru can't withstand a chip the size of needle point.

Victor
Old 05-29-2003, 06:39 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: MMVI AW WRX STI
Well I'm no expert, but I'm sure the likelihood of a chip spreading it has to do with the nature of the original chip...how "spidery" it is.

But if it's a stress crack then definitely try to get it replaced.

Good luck!
Old 05-29-2003, 08:35 AM
Former Vendor

Car Info: Evo X
try Subaru of Santa Cruz. Good luck!
Old 05-30-2003, 07:44 PM

Originally posted by iBlueVirus
try Subaru of Santa Cruz. Good luck!
thanks iBlueVirus
Old 05-30-2003, 10:13 PM
@Stoptech

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon
yeah, it's very important to take it to the right dealer the first time, as your visit is now logged in their computers and any subaru dealer will now be forced to refuse you service for that particular incident. if you shop around you can get way better prices for auto glass. just make sure they install it right so that the top of it doesn't detach when you're on the freeway and chop off your head.
Old 05-30-2003, 11:58 PM

Originally posted by Steppin Razor
yeah, it's very important to take it to the right dealer the first time, as your visit is now logged in their computers and any subaru dealer will now be forced to refuse you service for that particular incident. if you shop around you can get way better prices for auto glass. just make sure they install it right so that the top of it doesn't detach when you're on the freeway and chop off your head.
I don't think the service advisor logged my visit because he didn't ask for any information. All he did was come out and inspect the glass.
Old 05-31-2003, 12:09 AM
@Stoptech

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon
well as long as he didn't log your VIN number, you're set. go to santa cruz or carlson and see what they tell you. and let us know what happens... duuhhh.