Career advice - electrician

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 02:22 PM

Car Info: DGM 14 BRZ
Originally Posted by SR20steve
Ha! Manual labor? I raff out roud everytime I see you guys working, all clean coveralls and shiza. What the most physical thing you do? Operate a air tugger to pull wire through conduit? You got a sweet gig my friend don't forget it.
im under the impression from alot of kids that the meaning of manual labor has been changed from hard filthy work to any job other than sitting in front of a computer in a cubicle,ie: required to stand or move
Old 08-10-2009, 06:35 PM

Car Info: 05 WRX wagon
I've am currently starting my second year as an apprentice is IBEW 332, San Jose. This was honestly the best decision I have ever made. I came in knowing absolutely nothing about electricity and it never mattered. They teach you everything need to know. Also, everything is laid out in front of you, there is not asking for raises or wondering how much your gonna make. The money is good, most journeymen I know are making 100k a year. Starting out your making $20+ too, not sure the exact number right now. On top of that is benefits and pensions as well. There is some bad stuff as well. It can take anywhere from 7 months to 3 years to get into the program. You do take a bit of crap as an apprentice. There are about 300 journeymen on the books waiting for a job, but not apprentices right now. It is a construction job so there is a bit of danger and it can be a lot of work and really wear you out. Those guys in the last couple of posts don't know ****. Just like any job really, theres good and bad. As far as non union the only thing I can say for sure is everyone who has worked for non union and is now in the union says its better, but I'm only seeing one side of those people so my opinion is biased. If you have any questions feel free to pm me. Good luck with your decision
Charlie